ARTICLE: TO vs. Moss by Champ Bailey

Reaction score
Not sure if someone already posted this

Denver's Champ Bailey, the best cornerback in the NFL, regards Randy Moss and Terrell Owens as two of the top six wide receivers he has covered -- a group that includes Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison and Andre Johnson. We asked Bailey to break down Moss and Owens.

SPEED/QUICKNESS
Moss: "He really doesn't run fast until he has to. That's what's scary."
Owens: "When he gets the ball, that's when you really see his speed and quickness."
Edge: Owens

ROUTE RUNNING
Moss: "He has a great feel for the game, and I think he understands defenses better than anybody."
Owens: "He's explosive out of his cuts. He doesn't slow down. Everything is full speed."
Edge: Moss

CATCHING THE BALL
Moss: "His hands are great. He can adjust his body and move in space. And when he's in the air, it's amazing."
Owens: "You can't make some of the catches he makes without good hands."
Edge: Moss

RUNNING AFTER THE CATCH
Moss: "When he has room, he can definitely make you miss. He has a nice stiff-arm, too."
Owens: "He's like a running back when he has the ball. He's a guy you really don't want to have to tackle in the open field."

BREAKING PRESS COVERAGE
Moss: "He can definitely get off the jam. When you're up on him, you can't see the ball; you can't see anything."
Owens: "He just uses straight power. He takes one step and, boom, he's gone."
Edge: Even

BLOCKING
Moss: "He definitely hasn't been known to block very well, but he can do it when he wants to."
Owens: "He's strong. When it comes to blocking, he's like a tight end." Edge: Owens

bobtheflob

Reaction score
Carolinacowpoke;1699749 said:
RUNNING AFTER THE CATCH
Moss: "When he has room, he can definitely make you miss. He has a nice stiff-arm, too."
Owens: "He's like a running back when he has the ball. He's a guy you really don't want to have to tackle in the open field."

I remember a play when TO was on the Eagles and they were playing Denver. The Broncos did an all out blitz and left Champ alone on TO. McNabb got the snap and immediately turned and threw it to TO. He immediately made a move, broke Champ's tackle, and was gone for a touchdown.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You know... Moss has always hurt us in the past. However, I think in part it was because of the way that Campo and later Zimmer had the DB's playing. They always wanted the DB's to shadow the WR and not worry about ball position. Moss would always keep his eye on the ball and either simply go up and get it or get pass interference.

Now, that's not saying that he's not super good or anything... but playing Moss that way would be dangerous, at best.

Now, Phillips has the DB's trying to keep an eye on the ball and either break up the pass or get the INT. Keep the play in front of them, he has said. That method should be much more effective against Moss and the way he plays. Particularly on those jump-ball type passes.

Just my $0.02

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Moss killed us back then because we SUCKED.

He's a great player, but I'm so sick of scared fans (not talking about you, **) shivering in their boots because Moss ran all over the likes of Kareem Larrimore and Izell Reese almost a decade ago.

Reaction score
bobtheflob;1699759 said:
I remember a play when TO was on the Eagles and they were playing Denver. The Broncos did an all out blitz and left Champ alone on TO. McNabb got the snap and immediately turned and threw it to TO. He immediately made a move, broke Champ's tackle, and was gone for a touchdown.

In Champ's defense... He had a bad hammy but the game anyway.

Aikbach

Reaction score
bobtheflob;1699759 said:
That was TO's final game in an Eagle uniform and not to take anything away from him but Champ was playing with a severely pulled hamstring in that matchup as well.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Nice breakdown/comparison by Bailey.

Moss is always the X-Factor. He's always killed Dallas. Whether his teams were good or bad, whether our teams were good or bad. He always seems to have had a bit of luck. I honestly think that he's at his peak with the kind of offense that can take advantage of his every ability.

I hope the defense can step up, because I don't want to see another game where Randy Moss kills us...

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Aikbach;1699874 said:
That was TO's final game in an Eagle uniform and not to take anything away from him but Champ was playing with a severely pulled hamstring in that matchup as well.

Actually his last game in an Eagles Uniform was agaist the Pats in the SB.... other than that it was against the Cowboys in the regular season when we broke his leg.....And Champ had no Hammy....

RomoIsBack

Reaction score
bobtheflob;1699759 said:

i will never forget that t.o killed him

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1699901 said:
Actually his last game in an Eagles Uniform was agaist the Pats in the SB.... other than that it was against the Cowboys in the regular season when we broke his leg.....And Champ had no Hammy....

his last game wasn't in the superbowl. it was the following season around week 6 or something like that. they suspended him for a long while and then he came to dallas.