As someone who has contacts with ESPN...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I don't have a clue who this guy is or anything about his credibility but one thing may very well be true...

I was listening to Sirius radio this morning and Vic Carrucci was on and they were saying how the current economy has got the sports networks really nervous about 2009. He was saying how if the auto bail out goes through there could be some major pressure placed on the auto industry to cut back on advertising with sports events. He further said that they may see the same thing with the banking industry. Since the teams derive a huge chunk of their money from that TV advertising and many of the teams, Cowboys included have individual deals with these entities, there could be some very real fall out from this.

So as to his assertion that there may be some nerves at ESPN, there could be some validity to that.

The other stuff? I don't know.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2488127 said:
I don't have a clue who this guy is or anything about his credibility but one thing may very well be true...

I was listening to Sirius radio this morning and Vic Carrucci was on and they were saying how the current economy has got the sports networks really nervous about 2009. He was saying how if the auto bail out goes through there could be some major pressure placed on the auto industry to cut back on advertising with sports events. He further said that they may see the same thing with the banking industry. Since the teams derive a huge chunk of their money from that TV advertising and many of the teams, Cowboys included have individual deals with these entities, there could be some very real fall out from this.

So as to his assertion that there may be some nerves at ESPN, there could be some validity to that.

Or perhaps this guy was listening to the exact same morning show on Sirius. :D

Boysboy

Reaction score

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I've been having a GUT feeling our Steelers game may have been FIXED. I mean Romo throwing LEFT-HANDED to a wide open Roy11 in the endzone? Some unlucky bounce hitting Tra Battle on a punt? Corey Procter, after doing an OUTSTANDING job all game in relief, just gave half **** attempts late in the game? Our receivers running bad routes every now and then during the game? Witten mysteriously slips on Romo's INT? And then the game ends with Owens going off at Ray Sherman?

Then subsequently all week, high drama kicks in full gear and there's all of a sudden "Doom in Dallas" based on he said/she said that's reported in the national media 24/7?

Like I said-I know this sounds far fetched, but a numerous things that happened in this game just smelled stink to me.

Yes-I've been following what you are talking about for quite some time now(but will post my thoughts about it on the Political Zone later).

Big Dakota

Reaction score

I hear and understand what you are saying about advertising moneis and that is not far fetched at all. But a Romo,Witten, TO fued to the rescue ESPN? If that's their business plan God help them.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Boysboy;2488139 said:
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I've been having a GUT feeling our Steelers game may have been FIXED. I mean Romo throwing LEFT-HANDED to a wide open Roy11 in the endzone? Some unlucky bounce hitting Tra Battle on a punt? Corey Procter, after doing an OUTSTANDING job all game in relief, just gave half **** attempts late in the game? Our receivers running bad routes every now and then during the game? Witten mysteriously slips on Romo's INT? And then the game ends with Owens going off at Ray Sherman?

Then subsequently all week, high drama kicks in full gear and there's all of a sudden "Doom in Dallas" based on he said/she said that's reported in the national media 24/7?

Like I said-I know this sounds far fetched, but a numerous things that happened in this game just smelled stink to me.

Yes-I've been following what you are talking about for quite some time now(but will post my thoughts about it on the Political Zone later).
Fixed? :lmao2:

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Boysboy;2488139 said:

You mean you think Romo's left handed attempt was rigged? Or that they planned to have that ball glance off Battle's leg on a punt?

I don't know how in the world that could ever be pre planned.

Spectre

Reaction score
dgr81;2488108 said:
i don't think anyone on this site read the OP's post correctly.

Werder was at a team meeting with the ESPN executives, not the Dallas Cowboys.
I think you misread.

"the Cowboys players put their heads together and quickly figured out exactly what was going on. Ed Werder himself was actually present at the team meeting and was the one who reported to the higher ups that there was something impeding the plan."

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Big Dakota;2488140 said:
I hear and understand what you are saying about advertising moneis and that is not far fetched at all. But a Romo,Witten, TO fued to the rescue ESPN? If that's their business plan God help them.

:laugh1:
If that's their business plan, God CAN'T help them.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2488136 said:
Or perhaps this guy was listening to the exact same morning show on Sirius. :D

Could be. I just said what I heard as way of leading some credibility to some of what he said. Like I said, I'm not vouching for his story.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2488144 said:
You mean you think Romo's left handed attempt was rigged? Or that they planned to have that ball glance off Battle's leg on a punt?

I don't know how in the world that could ever be pre planned.

I didn't say it was rigged, I was just thinking out loud, that's all.(BTW-I forgot to mention the blatantly bad calls that went the Steelers way on their game tieing TD)

It's just when I think about it, it's no coincidence that we lose a heart-breaker, then ESPN et al goes off 24/7 on us.

Like I said-it's prolly all far-fetched, but I found a few plays in there pretty suspicious.

BTW-I still believe XL was fixed.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2488139 said:

Please stop. That's just ridiculous.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Boysboy;2488151 said:
I didn't say it was rigged, I was just thinking out loud, that's all.(BTW-I forgot to mention the blatantly bad calls that went the Steelers way on their game tieing TD)

It's just when I think about it, it's no coincidence that we lose a heart-breaker, then ESPN et al goes off 24/7 on us.

Like I said-it's prolly all far-fetched, but I found a few plays in there pretty suspicious.

BTW-I still believe XL was fixed.

Can't say as I agree with you but I will say one thing...

I think Jackie Smith might have been paid a buck or two to drop Staubach's pass.

J/K :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
IT is certainly true that advertising revenue will be down a LOT over the next year. Many companies cutting back. So BSPN will certainly be getting a lot less money in the coming year. But its a real stretch to see them trying to orchestrate something like that. Plus they are nowhere near smart enough to think it up let alone work it.

Randy White

Reaction score
DuaneThomas71;2487938 said:
I thought some of you might be interested to hear the truth regarding the alleged "T.O. controversy."

Those who I talked to close to the situation are in absolute shock right now over the direction ESPN has taken the past few days. What you are seeing now is a carefully conceived ploy being executed to boost ratings for the 2009 fiscal year, which is vital as the network hopes to build new advertising revenue.

I've said something similar to this earlier on another thread.

Clearly, years ago, BSPN traded it's basic core of sports journalism for shock news. I must confess that I wasn't sure if the statement I made about their decline in ratings was accurate, but if what you're saying is true, then my statement is in the ballpark.

Speaking from a personal standpoint, I was an ESPN junkie since I first got cable back 1983. ESPN was THE reason why I got cable to begin with. For years, it was THE channel to follow when it came to sports news. However, ever since Fox came up with Fox Sports, and, basically, beat out ESPN for the west coast market ( the Dodgers were purchased for this very reason ), ESPN has panicked and changed it's format from a journalistic point of view into a headline/shock value style. It's like they metamorphed into a WWE program.

I haven't watched BSPN Sportscenter for more than 5 - 10 minutes ( every couple of days ) in years. I only watch them when the Lakers, the NFL draft ( and with them I usually switch to TheTicket with Norm most of the time ), a few minutes " maybe " of their NFL pre-game, or a college game that I'm interested is on.

The rest is all worthless noise to me.

:starspin

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2487957 said:
First of all :welcome: to the forum. Love the username.

We have a regular poster here who works for ESPN. I am very skeptical of this report. I am more skeptical of the TO reports. I think they stink like trash. But ESPN is not in any kind of trouble. They are a huge conglomerate who have a controlling niche.

Reporters are not allowed in team meetings. Not even Mickey Spagnola who works for the team.

Oh, and the report of the scuffle with Witten and TO was Mac Engel. He doesn't work for ESPN.

So it was reported, non ESPN

That TO might be involved in team chemistry issues? As he is having a bad career season?

No suprise at all, just fun watching the Cowboys trying to buy silence on the internet!

Bought out knows who they are