Asia 'to eclipse' US and Europe by 2030 - US report

RS12

Reaction score
Asia will wield more global power than the US and Europe combined by 2030, a forecast from the US intelligence community has found.

Within two decades China will overtake the US as the world's largest economy, the report adds.

It also warns of slower growth and falling living standards in advanced nations with ageing populations.

Global Trends 2030, issued to coincide with Mr Obama's second term, says it aims to promote strategic thinking.

Published every four years, the report from the National Intelligence Council (NIC) aims to draw together a wide sweep of "megatrends" driving transformation in the world.

'Slow relative decline'
The NIC suggests that by 2030, Asia will have more "overall power" than the US and Europe combined - taking into account population size, gross domestic product (GDP), military spending and investment in technology.

The National Intelligence Council says it does not believe China will become a superpower like the US
"China alone will probably have the largest economy, surpassing that of the United States a few years before 2030," the report says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20671917#TWEET437101

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Entitlement programs are a Hell of a Drug !!

SLAP !!

slap.gif

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Japan and China, to the best of my recollection, have heavier "old age heavy" population dynamics than the US. Years of one child only policy in China have left large chunks of their country with the expected 2-1 ratio that has resulted in a second generation 4:1 ratio from what I was told by a friend in the investment business.

Take a look at India. Billion people, huge potential. Massive problems with infrastructure and their freshwater supply is strongly influenced by any changes in global warming since they are tied to a degree to glacial melt.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Seems about right. China is buying all our raw materials and selling back finished products. Meanwhile, we spend trillions on needless wars, foreign aid, and ridiculous government expansion.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Should read "Asia to eclipse U.N. by 2030" because that is what the USA and Europe are currently trying to become :) By 2030, at this rate, this will be a different world.

Keep an eye on the news the next few months and see how many U.N.-related laws start to effect the USA and by-pass congressional oversight and US citizen vote. Soros is smiling.

Bookmark this.

I'll stop now, as to not get off-topic too much.

True about China, by the way.

:star:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Denim Chicken;4892543 said:
Seems about right. China is buying all our raw materials and selling back finished products. Meanwhile, we spend trillions on needless wars, foreign aid, and ridiculous government expansion.

The reality is that their economy is stronger and becoming stronger with every passing year. We borrow 46 cents on every dollar and that number is increasing. 26% of China's production is purchased by the U.S. while only something like 8% of ours goes to China. I believe those were the statistics I heard.

These are the real problems.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4892650 said:
The reality is that their economy is stronger and becoming stronger with every passing year. We borrow 46 cents on every dollar and that number is increasing. 26% of China's production is purchased by the U.S. while only something like 8% of ours goes to China. I believe those were the statistics I heard.

These are the real problems.

Correct, They are also intentionally devaluing their currency to boost exports.

Not sure the reality of China eclipsing the US is a bad thing in itself, but the US economy’s continual to struggle, while our policies exasperate that fact, should be considered regardless of emerging economies.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
We've known this for a very long time. Yet, our top political leaders do absolutely nothing.

arglebargle

Reaction score
China already controls things: They can bring down the world economy any time they want. Same thing for the major oil suppliers.

You just have to hope that they think they are also too tightly tied to the anchor rode to toss that anchor over the side.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
arglebargle;4893579 said:
China already controls things: They can bring down the world economy any time they want. Same thing for the major oil suppliers.

You just have to hope that they think they are also too tightly tied to the anchor rode to toss that anchor over the side.

Doing the bolded is a lot easier than you might ever think.

Walk two terrorists into the NYSE and London stock exchanges, blow them up.

Two weeks later, hit the Tokyo stock exchange.

Economic chaos.

I've actually got about 4 different scenarios pieced together to destroy the world economies.

Diogenes

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4893591 said:

Economic chaos.

I've actually got about 4 different scenarios pieced together to destroy the world economies.

That's comforting.

arglebargle

Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;4893591 said:

Economic chaos.

I believe you!

I have a couple also, but they require a little too much expertise. Those damn dams are just too well built!

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
arglebargle;4893617 said:
I believe you!

I have a couple also, but they require a little too much expertise. Those damn dams are just too well built!

Simple is always better. For the amount of explosives you'd need to take out a dam, you can wreak havoc if you steal a couple of boats and hit oil rigs in the Gulf or North Sea.

Our electrical grid is 100% vulnerable, especially now that we've got an EMP cruise missile.

I'll keep the rest under wraps until I finish the first novel.