ASIO Sound Cards

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Who has one and which do you think give the best bang for the buck.

I'm looking at getting one for my PC to record my guitar with. I received some guitar effects software (AmpliTube Metal) for Christmas and it sucks using it with my on board sound or the USB dongle that was included with it.

Though I'm not interested in spending a huge sum of money. I'm looking in the $50-$150 range.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
nyc;3799975 said:
Who has one and which do you think give the best bang for the buck.

I'm looking at getting one for my PC to record my guitar with. I received some guitar effects software (AmpliTube Metal) for Christmas and it sucks using it with my on board sound or the USB dongle that was included with it.

Though I'm not interested in spending a huge sum of money. I'm looking in the $50-$150 range.

Soundblaster x-fi Fatality - for about 145$. I love mine.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
emu 0404 usb would probably work well for that. I have one to use exclusively as an external dac.

arglebargle

Reaction score
You can also try ASIOforall drivers for any particular sound card, as they may do the job better than the included drivers. And they can work with cards that do not have asio drivers. I use them with my Audigy 2 board, much better than Creative's pathetic drivers.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
arglebargle;3800183 said:
You can also try ASIOforall drivers for any particular sound card, as they may do the job better than the included drivers. And they can work with cards that do not have asio drivers. I use them with my Audigy 2 board, much better than Creative's pathetic drivers.

Creatives driver support is a LOT better than they used to be. You might want to kick the tires on a new card to see what I mean.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Dallas;3800212 said:
Creatives driver support is a LOT better than they used to be. You might want to kick the tires on a new card to see what I mean.

Not after they intentionally screwed over the drivers for the Audigy series to work poorly with Vista/Win7, and then threatened the guy who hacked the drivers to make them work.

Though their drivers may be better now (as they eventually hired that guy who hacked those drivers), they have a long reputation for poor driver support.

If I move on from the Audigy, it won't be to another Creative card. I just keep the Audigy on my general machine, the audio one has a different external audio box.

Jenky

Reaction score
Dallas;3800045 said:
Soundblaster x-fi Fatality - for about 145$. I love mine.

I have this but I think it's more for gaming. Next time I'll try the Xonar series from Asus.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DIAF;3800092 said:
emu 0404 usb would probably work well for that. I have one to use exclusively as an external dac.

Yes, this type of device is what I need rather than a card.

A guy at work is bringing me a M-Audio Fast Track or something similar. Said he has a few of them laying around his house. Gotta love free! :laugh2: