Recap: Assistant Director of College Scouting Chris Hall discusses Draft

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
On Podcast "Hangin' With the Boys" with Nate Newton, Shannon Gross, & Kris Daniels

Main Role
Keep everything organized throughout the draft. Manage scouting department, do some scouting myself. Help run and organize meetings as we put together draft board. We've got the greatest director in the world in Will McClay. A lot of unsung heroes in the room that put together a great package of information that allows ownership to make great decisions during Draft.

# of players on Draft Board

When Parcells was around, we had a really skinny draft board. If a guy has earned a spot on a draft board, we'll put him on their board. We're not going to limit it to 150.

Trysten Hill
We knew of him in the Fall. Everyone can watch tape and have an opinion. When he declared, then we start to dig into his character, him as a person. He checked off all the boxes.

He had a coaching change, new set of rules, new sheriff in town. He may have tested the patience of the new sheriff, and part of what happened is they didn't start him. But if you watch the tape, he was playing when they needed him. You might not start for certain reasons, but when it's time to make sure someone's playing, he was playing for them.

Why Hill at 58?
Trysten has all the tools and traits to play Under Tackle in Rod's scheme. Rod's scheme is based on penetration and being disruptive. When you can find a bigger man who can play with the quickness of a smaller guy, you hit the jackpot. If you got a big guy that can be disruptive and helps you against the run, but you don't lose any quickness...that's what we see with Trysten Hill.

Why they pass on certain guys
Medical, off the field things, scheme things. You might see a nice highlight package on ESPN, but there's a lot more things you have to take into consideration. You wanna make sure everyone's on board. You don't want to waste a resource that everyone's not on board with.

Draft Philosophy
You gotta look at the contracts of current guys on the roster. If we know we're losing 3-4 players at a certain position within the next two years, maybe that's a good spot to start adding some depth to. You can't keep them all. We're going to have hard choices to make on where to allocate salary dollars.

Connor McGovern
It surprised us a little bit too. He wasn't a "targeted" player of ours. But he was high on our draft board. He's a good, versatile player that already plays how we want our guys to play. He's cut out of the Colombo cloth. Gives us versatility along our line. We can't keep everyone. We hope we can keep LC, but you don't know how things will work out. He was too good of a player to not take at that point. We've done a good job of following our draft board. When a guy is a round or two ahead of the discussion, take him and it usually works out. 2nd round grade. We weren't dialed in on taking a guard/center, but he was hard to pass up. We've shored up areas with free agents to where we don't have to enter the draft thinking, "if we don't draft a safety, we can't play football."

Tony Pollard/Mike Weber
Tony's more of a space player. We love his versatility. 7 KR TD's. Played as a slot WR and RB. The other thing that took us over the edge was the Senior Bowl. He showed the ability to run the ball between the tackles. More of a kickoff guy than a punt guy, but I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to work at punt returns. Mike is a really good RB as well. It's great competition and saved us from having to find a veteran guy like Morris.

Donovan Wilson
If he had to pick one under the radar guy out of the draft picks it'd be him. Interesting career arc at A&M. Big hitter, packs a big punch. Got some coverage skills too. Going to be a great ST player before he finds some playing time.

UDFA's
Added 6 or 7 guys they had draftable grades on. Added a few 4.3 guys at WR, excited about them.

Good Guys/Good Character
Wouldn't say it's a focused effort, but it's something we look for definitely. The way we compete in practice, you've gotta be made of the right stuff. One of the first things guys say from other places off the waiver wire is, "Do we do this every day." Garrett and Rod demand high effort every day. Nate: Guys that can focus hard and practice right, it helps you cut down on mistakes. Jimmy believed in that. Practice hard and practice smart. Stay focused. Dana Stubblefield was better than me. But I knew how to handle myself under certain situations.

NFC East Best Draft?
Everyone did good. Commanders added a QB. Giants did the same thing. Have the potential to have 4 young QB's for a long time if they all hit. We loved Montez Sweat.

Who Cusses the most when a guy gets drafted before our pick?
Probably Will McClay.

Amari Cooper
We looked at receivers back in the fall and realized there wasn't going to be a WR available in the first round that would be good as Amari.

On Draft Grades given right after the Draft
Everyone thinks they got an A. Everyone thinks they got good value. But then people get on TV and the radio says "oh they took him too early, they could've waited." "We took Tony Pollard too soon." Do you know we could have waited? Or maybe we had intel that said we knew someone else liked that guy too. In the trade down in the 4th, we liked 5-6 guys but didn't LOVE one guy. So we were able to pick up more picks.

Draft Grades is Baskin Robbins. Everybody likes a different flavor. Sometime's vanilla's pretty good, but sometimes you like Rocky Road.

When do you know if you've had a successful draft?
Going back to Landry: Year 3, you're gonna know about a player for sure. Parcells used to say the best of them get 50/50 right. One of the most criticized picks in recent years was Frederick, and I think that turned out fine. Anyone that sniffs being a reach, the odds are against you in perception. Newton: I had to eat crow on Frederick real quick. Most guys can't admit when they're wrong.

You're not going to be right on all these guys. We know that.

Role during OTA's/Minicamp
The coaching staff usually takes over full force at this point.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Chris Hall was giving that good content, much more enjoyable the others in pressers.

My takeaways:
1)No veteran RBs to be signed atm.
2) Donovan Wilson has a chance.
3) They look 2 years down the roster cap-wise for drafting.
4) Everybody seems to like Pollard.
5) How they view 3Tech traits.
6) Connor McGovern could be a dawg.
7) Give a draft 3 years, y'all.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Excellent read.........thanks JB

Ozzie Newsome absolutely nailed it below........opinions are easy for us sitting on the outside looking in but how about sitting in the captain's chair and having to make decisions for a multi-billion dollar franchise knowing one mistake can end your career. That's pressure...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/29/nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/
What I found interesting, sitting with Mayock for 45 minutes as he digested his first night, was how much this GM job seemed like his calling. He did football games on TV, he dissected the draft on TV, and no one knows if he’ll be great at this or just okay; it’ll take years to know. But what I saw was a guy who had patience, which is the calling of good GMs. They’ve got to be willing to lose a guy they want to get the max value on a pick. Mayock showed that several times in this draft.

“I’m gonna give you a great quote that Ozzie Newsome said to me at the Senior Bowl,” Mayock said. “I’ve known Ozzie forever. He congratulated me on the job. I said, ‘Do you have any advice?’ He said, ‘Mike, having an opinion is a hell of a lot easier than having to make a decision.’ I thought that was so well said back then. And then I really felt the weight of it last night.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Chris Hall was giving that good content, much more enjoyable the others in pressers.

My takeaways:

Agree but I might add......rather than 2 years, I think they were thinking some major guys we could lose 2020. We can probably pencil McGovern as 2020 starter, seems they like him that much. I'm 100% convinced, they love, not like but love Trysten Hill. Too much traffic making the pick work........

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Both Wilson and M. Jackson should immediately help STs according to their write-ups.

Wilson is essentially in a head-to-head battle for roster spot with the Safety Darian Thompson.

This is a good roster overall. Just wish they could've acquired one of the better S options during free agency. Would've solidified a really good defensive lineup.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
On Podcast "Hangin' With the Boys" with Nate Newton, Shannon Gross, & Kris Daniels

Main Role
Keep everything organized throughout the draft. Manage scouting department, do some scouting myself. Help run and organize meetings as we put together draft board. We've got the greatest director in the world in Will McClay. A lot of unsung heroes in the room that put together a great package of information that allows ownership to make great decisions during Draft.

When Parcells was around, we had a really skinny draft board. If a guy has earned a spot on a draft board, we'll put him on their board. We're not going to limit it to 150.

Trysten Hill
We knew of him in the Fall. Everyone can watch tape and have an opinion. When he declared, then we start to dig into his character, him as a person. He checked off all the boxes.

He had a coaching change, new set of rules, new sheriff in town. He may have tested the patience of the new sheriff, and part of what happened is they didn't start him. But if you watch the tape, he was playing when they needed him. You might not start for certain reasons, but when it's time to make sure someone's playing, he was playing for them.

Why Hill at 58?
Trysten has all the tools and traits to play Under Tackle in Rod's scheme. Rod's scheme is based on penetration and being disruptive. When you can find a bigger man who can play with the quickness of a smaller guy, you hit the jackpot. If you got a big guy that can be disruptive and helps you against the run, but you don't lose any quickness...that's what we see with Trysten Hill.

Medical, off the field things, scheme things. You might see a nice highlight package on ESPN, but there's a lot more things you have to take into consideration. You wanna make sure everyone's on board. You don't want to waste a resource that everyone's not on board with.

Draft Philosophy
You gotta look at the contracts of current guys on the roster. If we know we're losing 3-4 players at a certain position within the next two years, maybe that's a good spot to start adding some depth to. You can't keep them all. We're going to have hard choices to make on where to allocate salary dollars.

Connor McGovern
It surprised us a little bit too. He wasn't a "targeted" player of ours. But he was high on our draft board. He's a good, versatile player that already plays how we want our guys to play. He's cut out of the Colombo cloth. Gives us versatility along our line. We can't keep everyone. We hope we can keep LC, but you don't know how things will work out. He was too good of a player to not take at that point. We've done a good job of following our draft board. When a guy is a round or two ahead of the discussion, take him and it usually works out. 2nd round grade. We weren't dialed in on taking a guard/center, but he was hard to pass up. We've shored up areas with free agents to where we don't have to enter the draft thinking, "if we don't draft a safety, we can't play football."

Tony Pollard/Mike Weber
Tony's more of a space player. We love his versatility. 7 KR TD's. Played as a slot WR and RB. The other thing that took us over the edge was the Senior Bowl. He showed the ability to run the ball between the tackles. More of a kickoff guy than a punt guy, but I'm sure he'll get the opportunity to work at punt returns. Mike is a really good RB as well. It's great competition and saved us from having to find a veteran guy like Morris.

Donovan Wilson
If he had to pick one under the radar guy out of the draft picks it'd be him. Interesting career arc at A&M. Big hitter, packs a big punch. Got some coverage skills too. Going to be a great ST player before he finds some playing time.

UDFA's
Added 6 or 7 guys they had draftable grades on. Added a few 4.3 guys at WR, excited about them.

Good Guys/Good Character
Wouldn't say it's a focused effort, but it's something we look for definitely. The way we compete in practice, you've gotta be made of the right stuff. One of the first things guys say from other places off the waiver wire is, "Do we do this every day." Garrett and Rod demand high effort every day. Nate: Guys that can focus hard and practice right, it helps you cut down on mistakes. Jimmy believed in that. Practice hard and practice smart. Stay focused. Dana Stubblefield was better than me. But I knew how to handle myself under certain situations.

NFC East Best Draft?
Everyone did good. Commanders added a QB. Giants did the same thing. Have the potential to have 4 young QB's for a long time if they all hit. We loved Montez Sweat.

Probably Will McClay.

Amari Cooper
We looked at receivers back in the fall and realized there wasn't going to be a WR available in the first round that would be good as Amari.

Everyone thinks they got an A. Everyone thinks they got good value. But then people get on TV and the radio says "oh they took him too early, they could've waited." "We took Tony Pollard too soon." Do you know we could have waited? Or maybe we had intel that said we knew someone else liked that guy too. In the trade down in the 4th, we liked 5-6 guys but didn't LOVE one guy. So we were able to pick up more picks.

Draft Grades is Baskin Robbins. Everybody likes a different flavor. Sometime's vanilla's pretty good, but sometimes you like Rocky Road.

Going back to Landry: Year 3, you're gonna know about a player for sure. Parcells used to say the best of them get 50/50 right. One of the most criticized picks in recent years was Frederick, and I think that turned out fine. Anyone that sniffs being a reach, the odds are against you in perception. Newton: I had to eat crow on Frederick real quick. Most guys can't admit when they're wrong.

Great recap, JBell. Thanks for the time and effort.

morasp

Reaction score
I wanted Trayveon Williams but If Pollard can add half of the production that Kamara did for the Saints it would be worth a day three pick. Getting Weber in the seventh round was a relief.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Main Role

Trysten Hill

Why Hill at 58?

Draft Philosophy

Connor McGovern

Tony Pollard/Mike Weber

Donovan Wilson

UDFA's

Good Guys/Good Character

NFC East Best Draft?

Probably Will McClay.

Amari Cooper

"He's just saying what Jerry told him to say." (They didn't draft my pet cat.)

Thanks for sharing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

My takeaways:

Everyone need so to really listen to what they look at in drafting. "looks at contracts coming up and draft for a year or two down the road on needs".

I also got the feeling that with hill he simply had the "measurables and characteristics they like". I didn't think that was a good explanation. Again they seem to feel like they coach him up and turn a piece of coal into a gem.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Main Role

Trysten Hill

Why Hill at 58?

Draft Philosophy

Connor McGovern

Tony Pollard/Mike Weber

Donovan Wilson

UDFA's

Good Guys/Good Character

NFC East Best Draft?

Probably Will McClay.

Amari Cooper

Awesome stuff. Thanks for sharing JBell!

Sydla

Reaction score
I was "ehhhhh" on Pollard............... however, if Moore really is being given free reign here on offense and is bringing some college style creativity to the offense, I am a bit intrigued to see where Pollard fits.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
  • TONY POLLARDRB, DALLAS COWBOYS
    Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said RB Tony Pollard could get "30 plays" in a game.
    Here we go again. As if Dallas' overzealous proclamation to get Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game last year wasn't enough, Jones doubled-down and stated Pollard could get "30 plays" in a game. The rookie out of Memphis is certainly a chess piece capable of shining on special teams all the while making an impact both in the slot and as a ball-carrier, but even Austin eclipsed 20 snaps only once last year. We'll take the under.

SOURCE: Mike Leslie on Twitter
    Apr 29, 2019, 5:59 PM ET

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
    Here we go again. As if Dallas' overzealous proclamation to get Tavon Austin "a dozen to two dozen" touches per game last year wasn't enough, Jones doubled-down and stated Pollard could get "30 plays" in a game. The rookie out of Memphis is certainly a chess piece capable of shining on special teams all the while making an impact both in the slot and as a ball-carrier, but even Austin eclipsed 20 snaps only once last year. We'll take the under.

I know, we've heard this song before. Maybe Moore can actually pull it off or will at least try.

Sydla

Reaction score

It's clear to anyone who is paying attention that you shouldn't really put much credibility into what comes out of Stephen's mouth............. just like you shouldn't have put much credibility in the things his father said over the years. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Cowboys averaged close to 65 offensive plays a game. Stephen just said their 4th round rookie, who is a hybrid TB/WR is going to get almost half the offensive snaps in a game.

So either Jones is talking out his butt again or he's foreshadowing the new, college style, wide open offense Moore is bringing.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Stephen Jones added with that statement that "I can't speak for Jason". Which means how many touches he gets comes down to Garrett and not our new shiny OC.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It's clear to anyone who is paying attention that you shouldn't really put much credibility into what comes out of Stephen's mouth............. just like you shouldn't have put much credibility in the things his father said over the years. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

The Cowboys averaged close to 65 offensive plays a game. Stephen just said their 4th round rookie, who is a hybrid TB/WR is going to get almost half the offensive snaps in a game.

So either Jones is talking out his butt again or he's foreshadowing the new, college style, wide open offense Moore is bringing.

Why are you ignoring 'plays' (nobody said 'offensive plays') on ST, where Pollard is expected to be a core contributor?

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Main Role

Trysten Hill

Why Hill at 58?

Draft Philosophy

Connor McGovern

Tony Pollard/Mike Weber

Donovan Wilson

UDFA's

Good Guys/Good Character

NFC East Best Draft?

Probably Will McClay.

Amari Cooper

Thanks for sharing