Assume Spears is ready for opening day...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Will he be good enough yto start? A rookie missing almost all of TC is a HUGE deal. If he was a vet I wouldnt be concerned, but this means his first real football action will be when it actually matters, not preseason.

Bizwah

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Will he be good enough yto start? A rookie missing almost all of TC is a HUGE deal. If he was a vet I wouldnt be concerned, but this means his first real football action will be when it actually matters, not preseason.

I agree to an extent. But this isn't like a holdout.....he's not going to be sitting at home doing nothing. He'll be with the team.....he'll probably go to meetings.....he'll probably see what's going on.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I don't think that he could start game one. As you said HH31, that is alot of time to miss.
If all goes well, he should be starting by game 3 at the earliest IMO.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I don't think he'll start, but will give us good depth this year.

Murph80

Reaction score
He has a High ankle sprain along with the MCL sprain and pulled groin. The high ankle sprain might be the one that takes the longest to heal.

noletime1995

Reaction score
Folks this is a rookie learning a new scheme. He doesn't have a lick of experience and will likely not contribute much the 1st half of the year if he comes back healthy. If he's not healthy, I doubt he contributes at all. This is a big loss, albeit good news its not more serious.

Hopefully Coleman and Canty step up.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I don't think he would have started Game 1 even if he had been completely healthy all training camp. Its extremely rare for a rookie to start Week 1. Jonathan Vilma was the NFL Rookie of the Year last year, and he didn't start until Week 3.

CantonBound08

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't think he would have started Game 1 even if he had been completely healthy all training camp. Its extremely rare for a rookie to start Week 1. Jonathan Vilma was the NFL Rookie of the Year last year, and he didn't start until Week 3.
Who would they have started in front of him, Coleman or Canty? I think he probably would have started, but I don't now. I am willing to bet that Coleman is starting, but it would be a pleasant surprise if Canty was starting the first game.

BTW, I enjoy reading your press conference recaps. Your doing a great job.

kmp77

Reaction score
I don't care if he's starting this year....I just want him playing and getting experience this year.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
kmp77 said:
I don't care if he's starting this year....I just want him playing and getting experience this year.

Very well said.... D-line depth like the early 90's will be key for us.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
I don't think he's going to start. It's definitely better than what a lot of us were thinking earlier today.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I always thought Coleman would start in front of him, with a heavy rotation, with Spears eventually being worked in as a starter as you got into October. Canty is a rookie as well, coming off of a major injury.

And just because Spears can watch practice and drills doesn't really mean much. His position is not cerebral. His "learning curve" consists of muscle memory more than anything, and that comes through repitition. You can read a book on your golf swing, but you're not going to swing the club with any success until you get out on the driving range and start putting it into practice.

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
noletime1995 said:
Folks this is a rookie learning a new scheme. He doesn't have a lick of experience and will likely not contribute much the 1st half of the year if he comes back healthy. If he's not healthy, I doubt he contributes at all. This is a big loss, albeit good news its not more serious.

Hopefully Coleman and Canty step up.

Glass half empty over there eh? ;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I wouldn't start him until he was ready and without Camp I doubt he'll be ready.

VACowboy

Reaction score
CantonBound08 said:
Who would they have started in front of him, Coleman or Canty? I think he probably would have started, but I don't now. I am willing to bet that Coleman is starting, but it would be a pleasant surprise if Canty was starting the first game.

Canty plays on the right side.

followthestar

Reaction score
its a big setback, but sounds like it won't threaten the season for him. if he's starting to get snaps by the third or fourth game that's not unreasonable anyway being a rookie. when he's ready they'll put him in, don't worry about that...

jsond

Reaction score
No I don't think he would/should start. Let him get some snaps and provide depth. If, after a game or 2 he proves that he should be starting, then let him. But a rookie missing TC and the preseaon will be a definite setback. Not as huge as a holdout, as was mentioned. I just am so happy that he will be back.