Astronomers discover planet made of diamond

Ranzo

Reaction score
(Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.

"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.

Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/25/us-planet-diamond-idUSTRE77O69A20110825

++++++++++++++++++++=

Somewhere out there there are female galaxies practicing their giggles and swoons...

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Ranzo;4067102 said:
(Reuters) - Astronomers have spotted an exotic planet that seems to be made of diamond racing around a tiny star in our galactic backyard.

The new planet is far denser than any other known so far and consists largely of carbon. Because it is so dense, scientists calculate the carbon must be crystalline, so a large part of this strange world will effectively be diamond.

"The evolutionary history and amazing density of the planet all suggest it is comprised of carbon -- i.e. a massive diamond orbiting a neutron star every two hours in an orbit so tight it would fit inside our own Sun," said Matthew Bailes of Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne.

Lying 4,000 light years away, or around an eighth of the way toward the center of the Milky Way from the Earth, the planet is probably the remnant of a once-massive star that has lost its outer layers to the so-called pulsar star it orbits.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/25/us-planet-diamond-idUSTRE77O69A20110825

++++++++++++++++++++=

Somewhere out there there are female galaxies practicing their giggles and swoons...

Kobe is already trying to figure out how to make a ring out of it.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Very cool. I love astronomy or as my astronomy professor called it "astrophysics". Very cool stuff.

A cool thing to note is that a picture taken from the highest powered microscope that can see 1,800 galaxies in one image. Some are colliding. Each contain about 2 billion stars. And this image is a shot and proportionally scales down to imaging a piece of sand held at about arm's length out. Astronomy and astrophysics really are testing the limits of human knowledge. Some things they know they'll never know, because of light speed etc. It's always a new theory and new tests. Now it has become somewhat of a lab science, like biology almost. To me, that's what is so fascinating about astronomy.

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
tupperware;4067234 said:
Now they just need to find a planet of intelligent beings.

They'll have to scour other galaxies for that one. Onions.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
daily_gifdup_9_06.gif

ologan

Reaction score
Rumor has it that they will name the planet "Emmittus Smithus".