Asus Laptops

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with these?

My buddy is looking to but their gaming laptop, the G73JH.

According to Square Trade who did a study on laptops;

Shoppers and list-makers may be interested to learn that Asus and Toshiba notebooks had three-year failure rates below 16 percent. Sony placed third, with a 16.8 percent three-year failure rate, followed by Apple (17.4 percent), Dell (18.3 percent) and Lenovo (21.5). Acer and Gateway came in just under 24 percent, and Hewlett-Packard, which is the world’s largest producer of PCs, came in last, with a 25.6 percent failure rate over three years.

I'm looking for some first hand experience though..

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Asus makes the motherboards for the majority of laptops, so they know their business...

I don't personally have an Asus, but my friends that do swear by them. I would think it would be a solid purchase...

BTW... their Bamboo series is really cool... High Tech innards with a bamboo shell. Every unit is different...

Pretty cool...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I saw an Asus laptop with a 2Ghz dual core proc, 3GB of RAM, and I believe a 320GB HD, with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit at Bestbuy for $399. That is pretty much a steal. I saw it on ********.com. I was going to get it for my wife for Christmas. (she currently shares with the kids) She nixed the idea though. She is tough to buy for, as she hates buying *items* over $100 for herself. Sounds like a good deal for me eh? Not always true though, she demands expensive cars, the will not accept cheap seats to any event (and she goes to lots of NBA games), and will only live in the best neighborhoods. In the end, she is expensive as hell! :laugh2:

Duane

Reaction score
I've had an ASUS notebook for a little over two years without any major issues. The only things that have broken are some of the plastic pieces on outside of the case but that was probably because I was careless with the laptop.

ajk23az

Reaction score
Duane;3737084 said:
I've had an ASUS notebook for a little over two years without any major issues. The only things that have broken are some of the plastic pieces on outside of the case but that was probably because I was careless with the laptop.

Nice, thats what I like to hear. Thanks for the info! :)

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
My laptop is the G73JH, use to have an old Dell Inspiron 1500 but this is way different than a normal laptop. I have had no problems for 6 months but the known issue with the JH not all G73s but the JH is the drivers for the Radeon 5870. Just look up the laptop and 5870 with PSOD or GSOD this might just be because of people trying to mess overclocking everything. I have had no issues playing any games on it.

You can always go with the JW for the Invidia graphics.

First thing you do is get one built with a SSD or buy one and put it in one of the bays, insane fast.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
MonsterD;3737841 said:
My laptop is the G73JH, use to have an old Dell Inspiron 1500 but this is way different than a normal laptop. I have had no problems for 6 months but the known issue with the JH not all G73s but the JH is the drivers for the Radeon 5870. Just look up the laptop and 5870 with PSOD or GSOD this might just be because of people trying to mess overclocking everything. I have had no issues playing any games on it.

You can always go with the JW for the Invidia graphics.

First thing you do is get one built with a SSD or buy one and put it in one of the bays, insane fast.

lol Invidia-that was a catackalism

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Reality;3738172 said:
The G73JH laptop is a great laptop but make sure you get one with an LG version of the LCD panel in it. Avoid G73JH's with the AUO panel at all costs!

Great forum site/thread for the G73JH:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...457024-official-asus-g73jh-owners-lounge.html

The best resource for laptops on the internet:
http://forum.notebookreview.com

-Reality

You are talking about the BB version one the RBX09 or whatever, any one sold online from a place like powernotebooks.com or xoticpc.com or gentechpc.com are the full 1080p version screens (Hannstar).

BTW all three of those sites I believe are authorized Asus dealers.

BB however is not an official Asus RMA point and their warranty is one year limited whereas the Asus global policy through re sellers is 2 years accidental on the computer.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MonsterD;3738207 said:
You are talking about the BB version one the RBX09 or whatever, any one sold online from a place like powernotebooks.com or xoticpc.com or gentechpc.com are the full 1080p version screens (Hannstar).

BTW all three of those sites I believe are authorized Asus dealers.

BB however is not an official Asus RMA point and their warranty is one year limited whereas the Asus global policy through re sellers is 2 years accidental on the computer.

True, but I didn't oder one from the online places like xoticpc because they sold overpriced versions that seemed to have more ?SOD issues. I have a friend who went with XoticPC's version as a full desktop replacement and he's had nothing but trouble with his.

As for 1080p .. running 1080p on a laptop panel is a waste especially when you can push external monitors to that resolution without an issue. I bought a really nice SSD with the money I saved and got a more reliable machine IMO.

The only complaint I had with the the bestbuy model was that it didn't come with a second drive bay bracket, but with SSD you don't need an official bracket so it wasn't enough to keep me from getting it. As awesome as the laptop design is, it is hard to find a case that will fit it that's not a backpack.

-Reality

ajk23az

Reaction score

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
This is the only sleeve I know of that can fit it, I know because I have it.

Timbuk2 Vert L sleeve
http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/outle...eve.html?cvsfa=2293&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=3135303936

Bag wise the Timbuk2 Classic messenger bag XL

Insanely big, but has a pocket in which it will fit, no padding though so might want to sleeve it in this.

timbuk2-new-2010-messenger-xlon.jpg

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I saw one of these at best buy today. This dork in front of me at Customer Service was RAGING because there was some problem, he uninstalled windows, and wanted them to either exchange it or fix it and the manager kept telling him there would be a 150$ fee. He was whipping out videos of the defect on youtube and showing them message board posts like it was going to convince them to all of a sudden take it back :laugh2:

Anyways, this laptop is. Huge. Like, THATS NO MOON huge. It looks like a b2 bomber or a stealth fighter, in laptop form. I half expected it to transform into a robot and start knocking over cd racks. I couldnt believe how large this thing was. Its got to be like 22" wide or something. Why in the world would anyone ever want a laptop this big? It's not very portable. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop, really.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
DIAF;3738975 said:
I

Anyways, this laptop is. Huge. Like, THATS NO MOON huge. It looks like a b2 bomber or a stealth fighter, in laptop form. I half expected it to transform into a robot and start knocking over cd racks. I couldnt believe how large this thing was. Its got to be like 22" wide or something. Why in the world would anyone ever want a laptop this big? It's not very portable. Kinda defeats the purpose of a laptop, really.

It is 16.5" by 12.8"

and I guess you haven't seen this laptop

[youtube]J9Z7gISUGGg[/youtube]