AT&T vs Other Smart Phone Service Providers

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
It seems that every time a Smart Phone thread is started, at least one person bags on AT&T. Legit Curiosity question: Why does everyone think AT&T is so crummy and what is it about the other providers makes them better?

Maybe I am just missing out on the finer things in life here, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a dropped call and I rotate fairly often between Charlotte, Corpus Christi, DC and Florida.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3666335 said:
It seems that every time a Smart Phone thread is started, at least one person bags on AT&T. Legit Curiosity question: Why does everyone think AT&T is so crummy and what is it about the other providers makes them better?

Maybe I am just missing out on the finer things in life here, but I honestly can't remember the last time I had a dropped call and I rotate fairly often between Charlotte, Corpus Christi, DC and Florida.

I have been an AT&T customer for 5 years straight now. I have ZERO problems w/ dropped calls but I don't live in a ginormous market. I know all carriers have issues w/ dropped calls and busy networks because of the congestion in densely populated areas.

Fortunately I am not of one "those people." :D

I love my Dell Streak on the AT&T network.

Unlimited data plan - CHECK
Crystal Clear calls - CHECK
Excellent choice of phones - CHECK
Fair phone plans - CHECK
Rollover Minutes - TRIPLE CHECK (wow what a great idea)

The CS is also extremely good and I pretty much do everything I need for my account online (check data/txts sent/recieved/pay bill/itemized call history).

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
I think AT&T sucks because at my work where I use my phone the most...I can only get reception when my phone is on the window sill.

EVERY other carrier...Verizon...Sprint...Alltell...TMobile...doesn't matter who have NO problem.

Here I am with a iPhone and can't even used it off the window sill and everyone else is texting or calling away...laughing at me.

It's a frickin joke.

Also there are multiple dead zones around town that I didn't have with Verizon.

I would forgive those but not the workplace.

What makes Verizon better to me is I would get reception with them and with AT&T I don't...pretty simple.

AT&T Blows.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3666414 said:
I think AT&T sucks because at my work where I use my phone the most...I can only get reception when my phone is on the window sill.

EVERY other carrier...Verizon...Sprint...Alltell...TMobile...doesn't matter who have NO problem.

Here I am with a iPhone and can't even used it off the window sill and everyone else is texting or calling away...laughing at me.

It's a frickin joke.

Also there are multiple dead zones around town that I didn't have with Verizon.

I would forgive those but not the workplace.

What makes Verizon better to me is I would get reception with them and with AT&T I don't...pretty simple.

AT&T Blows.

Thanks for the feedback. So it is a product of coverage in the region that you are in then? I didn't know if it was something else, like their 3G network was really bad or they hated the Buckeyes. ;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Android is in the process of taking over all of the market.

FREE open software, free apps, on multiple carriers and phone models.

iPhone only on ATT.
Even ATT knows the time is up. Android on ATT phones, Android on iPhone.

Its coming.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
These types of discussions are riddled with so many factual caveats that you really have to make a decision about what works best in YOUR AREA. In certain areas AT&T has better coverage. In other areas, other companies have better coverage.

I have two phones on AT&T -- an iPhone 4 and a Blackberry (don't know the model, but it's relatively new). I can be sitting in one spot and have great signal on one and bad signal on the other. It all depends on so many factors -- the phone, the location, the alignment of the stars, etc., etc., etc.

So the best advice is to try and gauge which company covers your city best and go with that. There will be spots where it has bad coverage. There will be spots where some phones work and others don't. Don't worry about the anecdotal evidence as it's too fact specific to be useful.

Jenky

Reaction score
Joe Rod;3666335 said:

Look at their service plans vs other carriers. It's pretty bad. I have 4g in my area and I couldn't be happier. EVEN if I ever wanted an iPhone, AT&T's plans would drive me away. There's no point in me going to Verizon either. Even though their voice service is superior, I get to roam on their network for free with Sprint if needed.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Jenky;3666608 said:
Look at their service plans vs other carriers. It's pretty bad. I have 4g in my area and I couldn't be happier. EVEN if I ever wanted an iPhone, AT&T's plans would drive me away. There's no point in me going to Verizon either. Even though their voice service is superior, I get to roam on their network for free with Sprint if needed.

No offense but nobody should be chest bumping Sprint. That company is constantly losing money. Check the last earnings posted by Sprint. They lost 911million last year or roughly 30 cents a share. Not to mention the nearly 500 million a year earlier.

The 4G rollout has also been a hinderance for the company. Oddly enough they added some customers. Funny how that works.

Verizon is also nearing a launch of its own 4G network in 38 cities before years end.

Bye bye 4g advantage which is the only thing keeping Sprint floating.

Jenky

Reaction score
Dallas;3666627 said:
No offense but nobody should be chest bumping Sprint. That company is constantly losing money. Check the last earnings posted by Sprint. They lost 911million last year or roughly 30 cents a share. Not to mention the nearly 500 million a year earlier.

The 4G rollout has also been a hinderance for the company. Oddly enough they added some customers. Funny how that works.

Verizon is also nearing a launch of its own 4G network in 38 cities before years end.

Bye bye 4g advantage which is the only thing keeping Sprint floating.

If 4g was Sprint's only advantage then I'd probably be on Verizon. But it's not. Their plans can't compare.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Someone will always bag a phone carrier.

I can say that I had a terrible experience with T-mobile and Sprint when I had them, doesn't mean someone isnt perfectly happy.

I have had no problems with AT&T. Once I went on a cruise, turned off roaming and data roaming on my phone and got a $400 dollar bill for data, which should have been impossible.

I called AT&T when I got back and within 10 minutes a courteous rep had removed the charges since it was a first time thing and that was that.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
TheCount;3667015 said:
Someone will always bag a phone carrier.

I can say that I had a terrible experience with T-mobile and Sprint when I had them, doesn't mean someone isnt perfectly happy.

I have had no problems with AT&T. Once I went on a cruise, turned off roaming and data roaming on my phone and got a $400 dollar bill for data, which should have been impossible.

I called AT&T when I got back and within 10 minutes a courteous rep had removed the charges since it was a first time thing and that was that.

They are VERY good about doing that. Not the first time I have heard them doing this.

It's all about good CS.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
As many said, it can depend on where you live / user your phone. Service can be good or it can be bad.

That said, if you KNOW a company has a lot of issues, are you willing to risk it? I wouldn't. Mobile service is pretty important to me.

Currently I'm a T-Mobile user. My service in Dallas was far better than it is here. The only reason I'm still with T-Mobile is my wife was a huge fan of the Sidekick. The Sidekick is now dead (can't get them anymore) so she is switching and when I get a new phone I will too.