At least if we have a bad year, we already saw it coming!

plasticman

Reaction score
I believe one of the dangers to the Cowboys success this year involves having a head coach on the last year of his contract. This reminds me of Wade Phillips situation back in 2010.

Wade had seen his team get killed in the playoffs in 2009 then Jerry publicly backed him only to see the team start 1-4, followed by Romo getting hurt. The team knew Phillips was toast and basically quit on him at mid-season. Which led to Wade’s firing and Jason Garrett era. (Groan)

This season has a similar set up. With Big Mac on the last year of his deal, if this team has a slow start, players may be tempted to hesitate about being “all in” for a HC without a future contract.

Maybe none of this will matter but I think the first 4-5 games of this season are critical to get off to a good start.
Injuries started the Cowboys decline in 2010 but the icing was that this particular season was the one in which Jerry Jones was the de facto HC of the Cowboys.

Recall that the Cowboys did not have a DC when the HC title was given to Wade Phillips. Also, the OC was required to report directly to Jerry Jones. So, when your designated HC is little more than a glorified DC and, along with the OC, reports directly to the same person, what title does that person typically hold?

That team had Jerry's handywork all over it and game #1 against the Commanders was a microcosm of that entire season.

Jerry wanted to show the world just how brilliant he was when he selected Dez Bryant in the first round that season. There was just one problem. An injury forced Dez to miss every single practice and every single preseason game. That didn't stop Jerry.

So, during the very first drive of that game, and the entire season as well, the Cowboys ae driving the ball. They are now in Washington territory with 1st and ten. In comes Bryant without a single practice before that week. Romo throws him a pass for the only play he knows, a quick sideline pass. There is no gain, Dez is being covered by a Pro Bowler. What do the Cowboy do next? They throw the same exact pass again, same results. The Cowboys end up having to punt the ball, the opening drive with so much potential is now dead.

During the first six games of that 2010 season, the RB is Feliz Jones. The 2009 season never began to surge until they started giving the ball to Felix. In the last four games he gets double digit carries and averages 5.3 yards a carry. In the wildcard round of the playoffs against the Eagles he has 16 carries for 148 yards.

Now back to the 2010 season. Felix gets less than 10 carries in six of the first eight games. of the other two games, Felix gets over a 100 yards rushing in one, and 10 receptions in the other. For all practical purposes, the running game is completely abandoned despite the fact that it is a one possession game halfway through the 4th quarter in six of those first eight games.

There are times in which the Cowboys had over twenty consecutive passing plays. Ironically, there are only two times during the entire first six games in which the Cowboys ran on both 1st and 2nd down and they got a 1st down both times.

With the Cowboys passing the ball 75% and the O-line in a chaotic state, it was inevitable that Romo would go down.

I don't think I have ever been as angry at Cowboys management when the Packers came down and whooped them. I remember a mumbling stumbling Jerry Jones promising to get to the bottom of the Cowboys demise. Wade took the fall but this was entirely on Jerry Jones. He castrated his own HC, usurped every ounce of his limited authority and then pointed the finger at him when accountability was required. It was a POS move.

The worse part? That was the season when the SB was being played at AT&T and Jerry dumped on the team and it's fans in response.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think we did a pretty good job in the draft back filling the vacancies we had. I would not be surprised with a 10+ win season and a Wildcard Birth.

Injuries will always play a factory for us and every other team.
Yes, they filled some positions.....with rookies.

Rookies are rarely impactful unless they are generational. Parsons, Martin, they are the only ones that really contributed their rookie seasons.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
On the contrary, a lot to be excited about.

It is a new season approaching us. No matter what or how a fan feels. It is exciting when the season starts.
Zeke is back…yeah…
We get to see our possible future QB in some PS games in Trey Lance.
What looks to be a very good draft class.
As well, any improvements from last years class. Such as Mazi under Zimmer”s tutelage.
Consider Overshown as part of this rookie group coming in.

And we get to laugh at all the continued melt downs. :lmao2:
Ivory Springs endorsed RB. Undersized DT who will be put on skates again in the run game. Light in the backside LB who needs some beans and rice. 3rd string QB with uber slow release who reads defenses at a kindergarten level. Retread coach via N.F.L. good ol' boy system at Defensive coordinator.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ivory Springs endorsed RB. Undersized DT who will be put on skates again in the run game. Light in the backside LB who needs some beans and rice. 3rd string QB with uber slow release who reads defenses at a kindergarten level. Retread coach via N.F.L. good ol' boy system at Defensive coordinator.

And you are not excited? :muttley:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I need to listen to you.. I was up and about at the start of last season.

We had a couple of losses and I thought... "that's ok, everyone loses a couple"

Then the GB game broke me.............................................................
That GB game showed us exactly what this team is all about.....and maybe this is why Jerry is a little skeptic about paying all this money to the top three who were involved in that fiasco. A team with no heart, no intensity, lazy, out for personal success over team success. So i am not surprised on what he has been doing, or not doing. What i am surprised and disappointed in is he should be more concerned with the coaching part...not having lame duck coaches. Should have just fired them all and replaced every single one with competent coaches looking to turn this thing around and with fresh new ideas. That's the most important hiring for every owner or GM.....before you even consider players to keep or dispose.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
That GB game showed us exactly what this team is all about.....and maybe this is why Jerry is a little skeptic about paying all this money to the top three who were involved in that fiasco. A team with no heart, no intensity, lazy, out for personal success over team success. So i am not surprised on what he has been doing, or not doing. What i am surprised and disappointed in is he should be more concerned with the coaching part...not having lame duck coaches. Should have just fired them all and replaced every single one with competent coaches looking to turn this thing around and with fresh new ideas. That's the most important hiring for every owner or GM.....before you even consider players to keep or dispose.
Totally agree about the coaching.

It was so bad that people are excited about Zimmer coming back.

Obviously I hope he can fix a few things.. but I won't be holding my breath.. we ran him out of town last time.

rambo2

Reaction score
Nothing? Not one single thing?

miz-really.gif
Funny isn't it. I'm very excited about our young players and will enjoy watching them develop.

rambo2

Reaction score
It was more about no linebackers than about no heart.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Just look at this off season, there's nothing to really be excited about, so much talk of not signing players/contract extensions. The only thing to get happy about is the guys we drafted and their potential and their can be excitement around some of our core players.

At this point it's been tough ever since Jerry said ALL IN, we've merely been all out! If we are all out this season, we don't have to act surprised! There's that guy we know that crowns us as a Superbowl ready team. I don't think anyone is able to see it, with intelligence please give your thoughts!!
The problem with this upcoming season is the knowledge in advance that the team WILL win 10+ games and WILL be in the postseason.

Now, can you possibly fathom how arrogant a FO has to be to be willing to let 10+ win talent age a season and do absolutely nothing to actually markedly improve the team in FA?

This FO has done less than the bare minimum to event argue an effort was made. And for what? They apparently are very comfortable with 1st Rd playoff exits.

Even moving on from Dak would at least show that playoff results do matter in Dallas.

It's disgusting. And not very defendable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Injuries started the Cowboys decline in 2010 but the icing was that this particular season was the one in which Jerry Jones was the de facto HC of the Cowboys.

Recall that the Cowboys did not have a DC when the HC title was given to Wade Phillips. Also, the OC was required to report directly to Jerry Jones. So, when your designated HC is little more than a glorified DC and, along with the OC, reports directly to the same person, what title does that person typically hold?

That team had Jerry's handywork all over it and game #1 against the Commanders was a microcosm of that entire season.

Jerry wanted to show the world just how brilliant he was when he selected Dez Bryant in the first round that season. There was just one problem. An injury forced Dez to miss every single practice and every single preseason game. That didn't stop Jerry.

So, during the very first drive of that game, and the entire season as well, the Cowboys ae driving the ball. They are now in Washington territory with 1st and ten. In comes Bryant without a single practice before that week. Romo throws him a pass for the only play he knows, a quick sideline pass. There is no gain, Dez is being covered by a Pro Bowler. What do the Cowboy do next? They throw the same exact pass again, same results. The Cowboys end up having to punt the ball, the opening drive with so much potential is now dead.

During the first six games of that 2010 season, the RB is Feliz Jones. The 2009 season never began to surge until they started giving the ball to Felix. In the last four games he gets double digit carries and averages 5.3 yards a carry. In the wildcard round of the playoffs against the Eagles he has 16 carries for 148 yards.

Now back to the 2010 season. Felix gets less than 10 carries in six of the first eight games. of the other two games, Felix gets over a 100 yards rushing in one, and 10 receptions in the other. For all practical purposes, the running game is completely abandoned despite the fact that it is a one possession game halfway through the 4th quarter in six of those first eight games.

There are times in which the Cowboys had over twenty consecutive passing plays. Ironically, there are only two times during the entire first six games in which the Cowboys ran on both 1st and 2nd down and they got a 1st down both times.

With the Cowboys passing the ball 75% and the O-line in a chaotic state, it was inevitable that Romo would go down.

I don't think I have ever been as angry at Cowboys management when the Packers came down and whooped them. I remember a mumbling stumbling Jerry Jones promising to get to the bottom of the Cowboys demise. Wade took the fall but this was entirely on Jerry Jones. He castrated his own HC, usurped every ounce of his limited authority and then pointed the finger at him when accountability was required. It was a POS move.

The worse part? That was the season when the SB was being played at AT&T and Jerry dumped on the team and it's fans in response.
Well said here Plastic.

One thing I will add. The 2010 season was full of injuries with Romo’s collarbone injury being the biggest. But the team was actually 1-5 WITH Romo playing. He was hurt in game 6 vs the giants in late October. And with Wade Phillips basically on his last year of a contract (sound familiar?) the team basically quit on him.

I hope the Cowboys don’t get off to a bad start this year, because with Big Mac on the last year of his deal, the same situation we saw in 2010 could happen again. Players typically don’t fight as hard for a HC who is hanging on by a thread.

GMO415

Reaction score
Everything you said is why I totally skipped the entire draft coverage this year and come on this site now about once every 2-3 days just to see what is new....no longer give 2 S's about this sorry organization. Just refuse to tolerate the BS from Booger and Chuckles any longer....I feel like a FOOL for being strung on this long to be honest with you.
interesting-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory.gif

plasticman

Reaction score
Well said here Plastic.

One thing I will add. The 2010 season was full of injuries with Romo’s collarbone injury being the biggest. But the team was actually 1-5 WITH Romo playing. He was hurt in game 6 vs the giants in late October. And with Wade Phillips basically on his last year of a contract (sound familiar?) the team basically quit on him.

I hope the Cowboys don’t get off to a bad start this year, because with Big Mac on the last year of his deal, the same situation we saw in 2010 could happen again. Players typically don’t fight as hard for a HC who is hanging on by a thread.
I think one of the clues that Jerry's constant interference built up enough pressure to create a complete flatline was the Cowboys going 5-3 in the 2nd half of the season. This was about the same exact time of the supposed reduction in decision making and I think both Jason and Stephen insisted upon it. Jason was able to pick up just enough pieces left to be competitive.

Still, the Cowboys could score over 30 points only once in the 1st half that season. Once Garrett became interim, the Cowboys scored over 30 points in 4 of their next 6 games.

Another thing......Just prior to Wade's dismissal, the Cowboys had a four game streak of rushing for less than a hundred yards. Starting from Garrett's very first game as an interim, the Cowboys rushed for over a hundred yards in every game.