At least Samsung is consistent...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
znRAG.jpg

Kangaroo

Reaction score
They both have some of the basic looks of the old TOSHIBA Laptops hopefully they have less screws than the stupid TOSHIBA laptops

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Bought my mom that Samsung for that exact reason... it looks like my wife's Macbook Pro...

The keys are separated by a plastic frame... much more durable...

I currently use a MUCH more expensive Dell with an i5 processor... as usual with Dell, it's a piece of crap. Keys pop off, usb ports die, track pad is dicey, poor quality yet high dollar...

arglebargle

Reaction score
If you get an expensive Dell, pay for the upgraded warrenty. You'll get upgraded service as well. Buying via the business track is a good idea as well.

As for the Samsung, I betcha you could find a similar look elsewhere in laptop history....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
arglebargle;4792853 said:
If you get an expensive Dell, pay for the upgraded warrenty. You'll get upgraded service as well. Buying via the business track is a good idea as well.

As for the Samsung, I betcha you could find a similar look elsewhere in laptop history....

Mine is through my company....

This is my fourth one in three years... Dell ain't what it used to be...

I'm begging for something different but we have a deal with them...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score

I would be interested in seeing them.

IAMKING

Benched
Reaction score

Or just get a Mac

Kangaroo

Reaction score
IAMKING;4793044 said:
Or just get a Mac

No thank you I like to be able to actually do something and run programs.

I be able to do more with Linux on a laptop than apple

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Kangaroo;4793055 said:
No thank you I like to be able to actually do something and run programs.

:thumbup: That's what I have on my ultrabook. (Ubuntu 12.04)

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Kangaroo;4793055 said:

Do english be one of them?

Having used Linux on a regular basis for everything from a server to a desktop, I'd love to know what you can do in Linux that you can't on a mac.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;4793234 said:
Do english be one of them?

Having used Linux on a regular basis for everything from a server to a desktop, I'd love to know what you can do in Linux that you can't on a mac.

I've highlighted one thing you can't do with a Mac in any serviceable way. Macs don't scale in the server world. The only place you actually do see Macs in the server world are with Mac fanboys and generally those are the types of people who use Macs almost exclusively.

Hell, the Movie industry likes Macs as desktops, but they (and even Steve Jobs) knew that when he needed to render Pixar movies, they used Linux, not Macs.

Going microkernel was the first decision they made with OSX and it was also the first major mistake they made. Microkernels are a bees hive of nastiness.

Meat-O-Rama

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4793503 said:
I've highlighted one thing you can't do with a Mac in any serviceable way. Macs don't scale in the server world. The only place you actually do see Macs in the server world are with Mac fanboys and generally those are the types of people who use Macs almost exclusively.

Hell, the Movie industry likes Macs as desktops, but they (and even Steve Jobs) knew that when he needed to render Pixar movies, they used Linux, not Macs.

Going microkernel was the first decision they made with OSX and it was also the first major mistake they made. Microkernels are a bees hive of nastiness.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like extraneous processes running on any of my servers, so anything that is running with a GUI is automatically off of my list.

I do believe the discussion was about laptops though.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jobberone;4793524 said:
We hates kernels. I had a run in with a kernel in the Army.

Unless your name is Grizzy Adams, you had better deal with the kernel as it runs the modern world! :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Meat-O-Rama;4793517 said:
I agree wholeheartedly. I don't like extraneous processes running on any of my servers, so anything that is running with a GUI is automatically off of my list.

I do believe the discussion was about laptops though.

I wasn't even talking about GUI when I said that.

That said, Windows and Linux have the most software written for them. When OSX gets FOSS that most of the time was written for Linux, it has to be ported to OSX (BSD on a microkernel on top of that)

Tie in Wine which allows Windows programs to run on Linux which doesn't run on OSX. Dude, you are in sad shape on what software runs where.

Meat-O-Rama

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4793551 said:
I wasn't even talking about GUI when I said that.

That said, Windows and Linux have the most software written for them. When OSX gets FOSS that most of the time was written for Linux, it has to be ported to OSX (BSD on a microkernel on top of that)

Tie in Wine which allows Windows programs to run on Linux which doesn't run on OSX. Dude, you are in sad shape on what software runs where.

That was not my question. I did not ask who has the most software. I said please name a task that I cannot do on mac that I can in Linux. Simple enough, right? Just because it has to be ported does not mean I can't do it. Better yet, I can probably find an alternative. What's that you say? Alternatives suck? OK, then don't stop pimping the gimp for photo editing.

Funny you say I don't know what runs where, because my day job requires that I run Windows, but I gave my work laptop to my son to use. So how do I do my day job? I run VMware Fusion. I can either run the windows apps as though they were native (no thanks) or run a virtual windows machine, which I do.

Please professor, another lesson me?