AT&T DirecTV Now launches November 30th with over 100 channels of streaming TV

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like its over-the-top rivals , DirecTV Now will let customers stream live programming on smartphones, tablets, and PCs — no cable box necessary — and requires no long-term contracts or commitments. For a limited time, AT&T will offer the “Go Big” channel tier with 100 channels for $35 per month. (The normal $35 base package is limited to “60+ channels.”) If you sign up in time, the offer will remain valid each month until you cancel. But that $35 rate is not the long-term pricing for 100+ channels. DirecTV Now offers step-up subscriptions that include other channels and content for a higher monthly cost. They break down like so:
  • Live a Little: $35 / month (60+ channels)
  • Just Right: $50 / month (80+ channels)
  • Go Big: $60 / month (100+ channels)
  • Gotta Have It: $70 / month (120+ channels)
AT&T has signed programming agreements with nearly all major networks with the exception of CBS and Showtime; negotiations with those companies remain ongoing. DirecTV Now allows customers to watch up to two streams simultaneously. Unfortunately, the first iteration of DirecTV now will not include any cloud DVR functionality a la PlayStation Vue — or even the option to pause what you’re currently watching — at launch. AT&T expects to add a “full DVR” component to Now sometime next year. “This is the first inning” was a line that executives focused on.

** NO DVR UNTIL NEXT YEAR

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/...w-streaming-tv-service-announced-release-date

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
.. and the whining about net neutrality has already started.

I am completely behind net neutrality because to ever allow internet providers to charge more based on the type of source of content or to intentionally throttled or slow down internet data from specific sources would screw over everyone. That said, it looks like people don't get net neutrality just like they don't get how "freedom of speech" is not a "right" on privately owned property, privately owned web sites, etc.

This article explains it ..
http://www.zdnet.com/article/at-t-directv-now-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
AT&T is smashing net neutrality with DirecTV Now. AT&T is a major broadband and wireless internet service provider (ISP). The company states that "If you're an AT&T Mobility customer, DirecTV will pick up the tab for data to help you achieve all your binge-worthy goals. Data Free TV means you won't use your AT&T mobile data for watching DirecTV Now."

Now that's quite a deal if you're at AT&T 4G user. Video eats up bandwidth like an elephant does peanuts. But, you're screwed if you use Verizon or any other service.

You're also likely to be messed over after the first year or two. The entire point of net neutrality is that all internet data is treated equally. No one is allowed to put, say, Netflix data into a fast lane or YouTube videos into a slow lane.

What AT&T is trying to do is called zero rating. In this, AT&T isn't slowing down rivals Sling TV or PlayStation Vue. Nor is it speeding up DirecTV Now. Instead, in zero rating the content provider picks up the user's data charges. It just so happens that in this case, AT&T owns DirecTV. In short, AT&T is just shuffling money between accounts.

Of course they then can't help themselves and resort to FUD tactics in their next comment:
That's great for customers in the short run. But, in the long run it makes it much harder for its competitors, and afterwards its customers. If, for example, AT&T was successful in knocking out its competition, it could then drop zero rating and jack up its prices.

Unlike all of the articles you find online about this, I will actually explain to most of you why AT&T can afford to not charge for data usage for DTV Now.

It's very simple. AT&T bought DirecTV so it is now hosted and located within their network. That means, any data sent from the DirecTV network/servers to AT&T customers never leaves the AT&T network. Why is this a big deal? Because if the data crosses from AT&T to another network, someone has to pay for that data usage. Either the receiver of the data or the sender of the data. This is why we have data usage limits because data almost always crosses multiple pay-thresholds, or for the more technical users, internet backbone connection points.

This is absolutely no different than what Comcast or TimeWarner cable provides. They provide both the network and the video streams. The only new wrinkle is that AT&T is offering this to non-AT&T customers, which is something Comcast, TimeWarner and every other cable provider could have been doing had they been willing to negotiate with all of the network providers to allow it.

Unlike 5, 10, etc. years ago, consumers have the power now. They are cutting the cords. They are reducing the you-watch-what-we-tell-you-to-watch-when-we-tell-you-to-watch-it services and replacing them with on-demand and TV-your-way alternatives. It's about time a major network offered something like this.

Verizon, Sprint, etc. are more than capable of negotiating their own deals with all of the network providers if they want and they can easily provide the same service. Any exclusivity with AT&T would create a lot of anti-trust issues so that won't happen.

Last edited:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Lots of options for myself, as my contract with DirecTV ends this Feb.

It's almost overwhelming, all these damn new options. And I have AppleTV, PS4, Hulu, Netflix, a SmartTV, etc, so I have seemingly unlimited options.

Then there's Roku, Amazon Sticks, and other weird devices. I just want to get the same deals as others, don't need "freebies," just want my money's worth.

Thanks for posting, Reality, will inquire about this when January closes out. They also have that deal where you can get all sorts of bundle discounts if you go ATT Wireless/internet and DirectTV.

I have Verizon and that contract ends this December (end of next month, so my choices are compounded), and TWC for Internet and they are pushing their own bundles. They recently became Spectrum. It's all a cluster of you-know-what of mergers and bundles lol

Decisions, decisions. Ugh...

Last edited:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People cut cords to save money and that pricing scale doesn't do that.

Until they go to an a la carte option, they will keep losing customers.
The choose-your-own channel option will always cost more unfortunately. The reason is that many of the channels are owned by the same networks/companies so they force the provider (AT&T in this case) to buy a package that includes all of their channels, including the lesser watched ones. That's how the network/companies pay for those shows on those lesser watched channels that some people watch.

So, for them to offer ESPN for example by itself, they would likely have to charge $8-10 for it. For ABC by itself, it would likely be $6, which is what ABC charges for its own subscriptions.

I cancelled my satellite service around 15 years ago and haven't looked back. I don't watch TV nearly as much as I did 20 years ago and what I do watch, I can easily find through streaming, Netflix, tv-shows-on-DVD/BluRay, etc.

For me, there is no channel out there that I would pay $5+ for a month other than NFL games. I had DirecTV NFL for years when it first came out, but they kept raising the price so I cancelled it at the same time I cancelled my satellite service.

People think if a service like DirecTV Now is offering 60 channels for $30, that must me each channel is $0.50 each and they will say things like, "I would pay $2 for that channel which is 4 times more than the average", but that's just not feasible unfortunately.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
@Reality, what should I do? I have Netflix, Hulu, already. I watch ESPN, FS1, FSW1, NFLN, Season Ticket, and HBO. That's almost all I watch. Yet I pay 140/month now for a kagillion channels I never watch. My son gets all his cartoons on Hulu and Netflix.

Do you have any suggestions?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Reality, what should I do? I have Netflix, Hulu, already. I watch ESPN, FS1, FSW1, NFLN, Season Ticket, and HBO. That's almost all I watch. Yet I pay 140/month now for a kagillion channels I never watch. My son gets all his cartoons on Hulu and Netflix.

Do you have any suggestions?
I really prefer not to recommend any services like these because there are too many variables such as which channels are offered, which channels you want that are not offered and how important those are, what kind of network quality the person has, computer/network/router equipment, etc.

For example, I tried SlingTV's service when it came out and the quality for me was horrible. Maybe it's improved now but it basically unwatchable for me back then. It's possible that AT&T has the same issues, especially if like SlingTV, they require custom software to be installed. I believe I read where AT&T's DTV/Now service will use browsers though so hopefully that means less issues.

I would just suggest reading the reviews in December of other people who tried the DirecTV Now service, especially those using the same ISP you use for internet if not AT&T and even if you have AT&T, I would try to get reviews from people living near you.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I really prefer not to recommend any services like these because there are too many variables such as which channels are offered, which channels you want that are not offered and how important those are, what kind of network quality the person has, computer/network/router equipment, etc.

For example, I tried SlingTV's service when it came out and the quality for me was horrible. Maybe it's improved now but it basically unwatchable for me back then. It's possible that AT&T has the same issues, especially if like SlingTV, they require custom software to be installed. I believe I read where AT&T's DTV/Now service will use browsers though so hopefully that means less issues.

I would just suggest reading the reviews in December of other people who tried the DirecTV Now service, especially those using the same ISP you use for internet if not AT&T and even if you have AT&T, I would try to get reviews from people living near you.

I have TWC for internet. DIRECTV is pushing ATT. Gah, it's so complicated. Thank you for your feedback, Reality. :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I will also say, and which you alluded to @Reality, I do enjoy having HD channels (quality) and have no clue if these "cord cutting" services offer that same resolution.

Double gah!!!

Last edited:

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I have TWC for internet. DIRECTV is pushing ATT. Gah, it's so complicated. Thank you for your feedback, Reality. :)

ATT owns Direct TV and are pushing them, my contract with them was up a couple months ago and I went round and round with them until I talked to a manager in retention and he gave me a good deal locked in for 2 years. 300 Channels, 25 mbps dl, and phone for 145 a month, its not a awesome deal but around these parts the only choices are really only Cox and ATT. I have shopped around with a lot of the add ons/cord cutting options mentioned above and the cost difference wasn't that big. They all are crooks tho....

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I will also say, and which you alluded to @Reality, I do enjoy having HD channels (quality) and have no clue if these "cord cutting" services offer that same resolution.

Double gah!!!

Many of them offer some stuff in 4k now...you won't get that over a cable box or satellite yet

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Many of them offer some stuff in 4k now...you won't get that over a cable box or satellite yet

Thanks for the feedback, 65.

I've seen that you use different devices, 65, in posts of yours in the past... what device could I use to get NFLN, ESPN (all of them), FS1, FSW1, and HBO? Would you happen to know? And would this (hypothetical) device offer those specific channels in 4k? It's an awfully specific question, so if you don't know, it's understandable, brother.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, 65.

I've seen that you use different devices, 65, in posts of yours in the past... what device could I use to get NFLN, ESPN (all of them), FS1, FSW1, and HBO? Would you happen to know? And would this (hypothetical) device offer those specific channels in 4k? It's an awfully specific question, so if you don't know, it's understandable, brother.

Those channels arent in 4k anywhere yet. 1080P will be the best, currently.

Most of those channels have an app that can be loaded or side-loaded into an android tv (like xiamoi mi box, nvidia shield, etc.). If that doesnt cut it for anything, you can play most of them on their dedicated websites. Then, Chrome has a chromecast option built in and you can cast the full screen image to your android tv box.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Dang, I have an LG (not android) smart tv. I have Apple TV, too. I'm gonna have to do research. It seems so complicated.

Thanks for your feedback.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Man I wanna cut cords. Right now I got roku, Netflix, HBO go, and spend $150 a month on time warner cable.

Yuck. But I need my ESPN channels, fox, abc, nbc, tnt, tbs, a&e, syfy, discovery, history, cnn, msnbc, Fox News , fox southwest, weather Chanel, animal planet, HBO, TLC, and spike.

Is there an effective way to get this w local broadcasting and cutting cord. I really wanna get rid of cable but I absolutely need those channels and all my local ones That's the minimum.

Any help would be appreciated.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Man I wanna cut cords. Right now I got roku, Netflix, HBO go, and spend $150 a month on time warner cable.

Yuck. But I need my ESPN channels, fox, abc, nbc, tnt, tbs, a&e, syfy, discovery, history, cnn, msnbc, Fox News , fox southwest, weather Chanel, animal planet, HBO, TLC, and spike.

Is there an effective way to get this w local broadcasting and cutting cord. I really wanna get rid of cable but I absolutely need those channels and all my local ones That's the minimum.

Any help would be appreciated.
PS Vue I think has all the channels you want if it is available in your area.
It does include some local live channels (Fox, CBS) and the other local channels are in demand (NBC, ABC). Otherwise, just get a indoor antennae and you got all your local channels as long as you have a built in tuner in your tv or the converter box.

If neither of these work for you, a unlocked Amazon firestick would work. You would get almost all the sport events, but the quality in picture won't be that great, and some channels or shows you want won't be available to you live.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Lots of options for myself, as my contract with DirecTV ends this Feb.

It's almost overwhelming, all these damn new options. And I have AppleTV, PS4, Hulu, Netflix, a SmartTV, etc, so I have seemingly unlimited options.

Then there's Roku, Amazon Sticks, and other weird devices. I just want to get the same deals as others, don't need "freebies," just want my money's worth.

Thanks for posting, Reality, will inquire about this when January closes out. They also have that deal where you can get all sorts of bundle discounts if you go ATT Wireless/internet and DirectTV.

I have Verizon and that contract ends this December (end of next month, so my choices are compounded), and TWC for Internet and they are pushing their own bundles. They recently became Spectrum. It's all a cluster of you-know-what of mergers and bundles lol

Decisions, decisions. Ugh...
Try PS Vue first. It has DVR and works great.