At What Point Can We Call Fergi & Rivera Busts?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
We are over a year into the Fergi/Rivera era and both continue to fail to impress- they both got free passes last year due to injury but i think the injury thing is just a smokescreen- in reality both of these guys are average players at this stage in their careers. I will admit to being thrilled when we signed these guys but JJ is really taking a bath on these two. I have no idea how Rivera went to 3 pro bowls. I sure hope they prove me wrong but it doesn't look like it.:bang2:

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Fergi has been doing a decent job, not great, we need more from him, but he isnt a bust. He' still a good NT

Rivera, well....

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
rivera did a decent job last night..not being able to weight train the way you normally do really does impact your strength and more importantly your power b/c offensive lineman have to use explosive movements all the time..rivera has a full offseason of our offseason conditioning program so i expect big things from rivera this year...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
"bust" ROTF.

why don't you post how the responsibilities of NT and share your expertise as to why exactly Fergie is a "bust".

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
For the money they got! Comeon they were busts long long ago...they have to now prove us wrong....b/c as of now - they were brutal signings - lets call it like it is.

Bob Dole

Reaction score
Rivera did fine last night. The interior of the line is not the problem, it's the tackles.

And what are you expecting out of Jason Ferguson? You do realize he's a nose tackle whose job is to take on double teams, right? The less you hear his name called, the better.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I dont see bust here at all...
If anyone expected Fergie to come in here and be the next Reggie White ,well they are looking at the wrong guy...
the only reason Fergie has been any disapointment is due to the fact he was hurt early last season and didnt play the mins we needed him to play last year..
Rivera , same thing injuries kept him below his potential...
This year will be telling..

parchy

Reaction score
Jason Ferguson has done nothing but do his job since he was signed. The nature of his job is anti-notorious. Like the fine senator said up there, the less you hear his name, the more thorough a job he is doing. It'd be nice to see him in the backfield a little more often, but that's merely a perk.

And Rivera... well, can't say the same for him. I don't know if you can really call a 34-year old a bust, but he is probably as close as you can get. Wasn't his signing bonus like $13 mil? Geez, what wasted money... Kosier outpaced him by at least 100 laps last night.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
Um, don't you think we should wait until the season actually STARTS before we call people busts? Or maybe even play a few games in the regular season? Besides, at this point you'd do what exactly to replace them?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Rivera's bonus was 9 million. And you can't really judge him until this year because of the back injury he suffered last year.

Ferguson appears to be doing his job.

parchy

Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Rivera's bonus was 9 million. And you can't really judge him until this year because of the back injury he suffered last year.

Ferguson appears to be doing his job.

Knew it was up there. The Cowboys should have taken him up on his offer to give it back.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
clayman said:
add Columbo and you got a trifecta

Columbo who we signed as a street free agent with no bonus.

Just how exactly is that a bust?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
parchy said:
Knew it was up there. The Cowboys should have taken him up on his offer to give it back.

we'll see.

you can't blame a guy for getting hurt. it isn't like he wasn't working hard. he simply was not physically right last year.

jumanji

Reaction score
i wouldn't say bust, but when we signed rivera, there was that other oline who was about 8 years younger and just as good. i would have gone with him solely on age.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
jumanji said:
i wouldn't say bust, but when we signed rivera, there was that other oline who was about 8 years younger and just as good. i would have gone with him solely on age.

and why would you assume he had an interest in Dallas as well?

parchy

Reaction score
abersonc said:
we'll see.

you can't blame a guy for getting hurt. it isn't like he wasn't working hard. he simply was not physically right last year.

No he wasn't. His strength wasn't there, which we can probably attribute to the back surgery (which was in February - six months of rehab isn't a lifetime, but it isn't like he just woke up and was forced to start).

His lack of discipline, however, I refuse to give him a pass on because of an injury. He was out of sync with the rest of the offensive line and constantly false started. It might be better this year now that his surgery is behind him, but from everything I've heard out of TC (I think Mosley said something like, "We might be slowly finding out that with Rivera, what you see is just what you get") and with his false start last night, I'm not so sure. I just remember how he was supposed to be this great help for Rob Pettiti and make him better just by being there.

It's not like I'm rooting against the guy, but I'll have to see him outperform his '05 form before I hand him any trophies.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
We held Shaun Alexander to 6 carries for 13 yards.

Obviously Furgie must be getting thrown around like a rag doll.:laugh2:

MONT17

Reaction score
fergie was paid to do 1 thing... take up blockers so that the ILBs can roam and play on the other side of the LOS.... FERGIE does not do that! He didnt do that last year and he didnt do it last night!

Our ILBs are always getting hit! Fergeis has to take up at least 2 guys not 2 guys with one reaching the LBs after he is under control! If the OL reaches to the LB its on FERGIE to make a play or 2!

Rivera sucked in his last year at GREEN BAY (The Boys played GREEN BAY that year I have it on tape) Rivera was carted off in that game... thats why they let him go and did not offer to redo his deal! the guy is OLD!!!

But most fans will say RIVERA is a PROBOWLer then turn around and say LAs Pro Bowl was not deserved....

Some fans are funny, next they will google some rankings that say RIVERA is the 6th best OLman in the league!!!

sad