At What Point Can We Call Fergi & Rivera Busts?

Jay

Reaction score
Fergy has been doing a fine job if you ask me. The true way to judge his efforts and performances are by how our linebackers are playing. And, I must say, our linebackers have been playing well. He is doing his job. Some people need to realize that a NT in the 3-4 will not post any big numbers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both seemed ok last night. As we get into the season it will be easier to evaluate theinr performances. To thorw the word 'bust' out there is premature.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
fergie was paid to do 1 thing... take up blockers so that the ILBs can roam and play on the other side of the LOS.

If the ILB's are supposed to just "roam around" why do they need to be prototypically in the 250 lbs. range in the 3-4? Because they arent just free to roam around. They have lane assignments, and they occasionally have to stand up an offensive guard or lead blocker if the run is in their lane.

The 4-3 allows the MLB to just roam sideline to sideline, which is why you can get away with a 235 lbs. guy like Dat Nguyen or Lofa Tutupu.

Again, if Fergie was getting pushed around so much, why was a back coming off a 1900 yard season running for 2 ypc against our first unit?

DBoys

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
We held Shaun Alexander to 6 carries for 13 yards.

Obviously Furgie must be getting thrown around like a rag doll.:laugh2:

:bow:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Both seemed ok last night. As we get into the season it will be easier to evaluate theinr performances. To thorw the word 'bust' out there is premature.

I have to agree with that sentiment. Rivera was part of an interior line that allowed no push up the middle on pass protection and our defensive front controlled the line of scrimmage which to me says the anchor contributed.

sago1

Reaction score
Just to clarify things. The other OG you referred to was Wahle. Only problem with your idea that we should have signed him was that he wasn't interested in Dallas. He made it clear he wanted to play for the Panthers (think he either from that area or has family living there) and no way was he going anywhere else. We simply never had a chance to get him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sago1 said:
Just to clarify things. The other OG you referred to was Wahle. Only problem with your idea that we should have signed him was that he wasn't interested in Dallas. He made it clear he wanted to play for the Panthers (think he either from that area or has family living there) and no way was he going anywhere else. We simply never had a chance to get him.
:hammer:

Same circumstance with Culpepper. Last week a reporter was trying to make a point we should have signed him. He came right out and said the only place he wanted to go was Miami and no other team was on his radar.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
abersonc said:
and why would you assume he had an interest in Dallas as well?

He didn't. Wahle had a house or something in North Carolina already I have heard.

Believe it or not, free agents sometimes do make decisions based on preference. I know it is very hard to understand why they would want to play anywhere else, but free your minds.;)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
We are over a year into the Fergi/Rivera era and both continue to fail to impress- they both got free passes last year due to injury but i think the injury thing is just a smokescreen- in reality both of these guys are average players at this stage in their careers. I will admit to being thrilled when we signed these guys but JJ is really taking a bath on these two. I have no idea how Rivera went to 3 pro bowls. I sure hope they prove me wrong but it doesn't look like it.:bang2:

I don't get it? Fergi is not a bust? NT play doesn't show up on the stat lines on Monday. he held the line pretty well. his job is to hold up the line and allow the LBs make plays and penetrate.

Rivera....I think he is doing good. don't take this preseason as an indication. we played a lot of 8, 9 man in the box which slows the running game. that's why Romo was also looking good since the passing lanes were open.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Teague31 said:
We are over a year into the Fergi/Rivera era and both continue to fail to impress- they both got free passes last year due to injury but i think the injury thing is just a smokescreen- in reality both of these guys are average players at this stage in their careers. I will admit to being thrilled when we signed these guys but JJ is really taking a bath on these two. I have no idea how Rivera went to 3 pro bowls. I sure hope they prove me wrong but it doesn't look like it.:bang2:

both of them were hurt last yr and thats probably why both of them were so underwhelming

that said, both of them looked pretty decent Saturday night

David

superpunk

Reaction score
Bach said:
Just another reason to avoid the former relic BP guys.

Or, you could say threads like these are just another reason to avoid being a knee-jerk, chicken-little whiner.

Depends on your viewpoint.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bach said:
Just another reason to avoid the former relic BP guys.

...because Glenn (both of them), Bledsoe haven't panned out?

And Johnson didn't pan out last year?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We can call them "Busts" when they make "busts" of them to put into the NFL HOF in Canton.

Just kidding...wanted to rile up the doom and gloomers.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
We can call them "Busts" when they make "busts" of them to put into the NFL HOF in Canton.

Just kidding...wanted to rile up the doom and gloomers.

When the lights are turned out, will these two busts talk to each other? And if so, what would they say?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
chinch said:
"bust" ROTF.

why don't you post how the responsibilities of NT and share your expertise as to why exactly Fergie is a "bust".

I wouldn't say he was a bust, but the Cowboys were quite soft in the middle last year with Fergie and Glover maning the helm at NT. Granted the Cowboys were in transistion, but it still doesn't change the fact.