Atari VCS

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I was just reading about this the other day. It's an interesting approach and will be neat to see if it can market itself. I'm sure its main appeal if the nostalgia of the classic game library but from what I understand it is also supposed to support 4k and HDR. So, we will see. At this time I dont believe I have a desire to buy one, but, that could always change.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's an Indiegogo project and may never happen; however, Nintendo is coming out this month with their system and original games (60) preloaded and I am going to get that. Those controllers are about my speed, too many buttons and I get frustrated.

GMO415

Reaction score
It's an Indiegogo project and may never happen; however, Nintendo is coming out this month with their system and original games (60) preloaded and I am going to get that. Those controllers are about my speed, too many buttons and I get frustrated.
CC! I get it.....Mongo don't like computer

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just got the Nintendo mini console, preloaded with a bunch of games I never played, and no instructions. Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Asteroids may persuade me into getting one by itself. I would have hoped for a redesign of the joystick controller. It is made to function best holding the joystick base in the palm of your other hand.

These are arcade console games originally though. I am used to playing those type games by positioning my hand/palm at the top. The joystick was built into the arcade console and was stationary.

The problem for me with this joystick configuration was the base slipping out of my opposite hand. I would have gone with a much wider base that could both rest on a flat surface and not constantly tip over.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Asteroids may persuade me into getting one by itself. I would have hoped for a redesign of the joystick controller. It is made to function best holding the joystick base in the palm of your other hand.

These are arcade console games originally though. I am used to playing those type games by positioning my hand/palm at the top. The joystick was built into the arcade console and was stationary.

The problem for me with this joystick configuration was the base slipping out of my opposite hand. I would have gone with a much wider base that could both rest on a flat surface and not constantly tip over.

I think I've heard that the joystick controller is optional and not mandated. There's another that looks much like an X-box controller. What I heard was that the console didn't come with a controller but they were bought separately for around $30. Seems odd, but that's what was reported in a YouTube video I saw.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I've heard that the joystick controller is optional and not mandated. There's another that looks much like an X-box controller. What I heard was that the console didn't come with a controller but they were bought separately for around $30. Seems odd, but that's what was reported in a YouTube video I saw.
Given the particular game, I would actually prefer a joystick controller over a gaming controller. My pet peeve with some of the cheap knockoff consoles featuring the old arcade games is that do not give users a choice with controllers. I love Galaga but dislike the small joysticks built into gaming controllers to operate the game. Ironically, I would still lean towards a poorly designed joystick controller in situations like that even though the typical ones are a pain for me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given the particular game, I would actually prefer a joystick controller over a gaming controller. My pet peeve with some of the cheap knockoff consoles featuring the old arcade games is that do not give users a choice with controllers. I love Galaga but dislike the small joysticks built into gaming controllers to operate the game. Ironically, I would still lean towards a poorly designed joystick controller in situations like that even though the typical ones are a pain for me.

I remember how many of those Atari joysticks I broke. The design and cheap plastic was a recipe for disaster.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Drill a hole halfway through a golf ball, and stick it on the end of the joystick... No, the game's joystick, sicko!

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
I can't wait for them to come out with the 64 mini. I bought the SNES mini last year and I love it but the 64 would be awesome.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Drill a hole halfway through a golf ball, and stick it on the end of the joystick... No, the game's joystick, sicko!
Interesting. I do have a drill bit that would be perfect. And I could do the PG-13 version. :p

The joystick controller base would still be a problem. I tried suction cups once but none had enough adhesion to remain fixed in one spot for me.