Atom bomb nearly detonated over North Carolina in 1961

RS12

Reaction score
LONDON (AFP) - The US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating a huge atomic bomb over North Carolina in 1961, according to a newly declassified document published by Britain's Guardian newspaper on Saturday.Two hydrogen bombs were accidentally dropped over the city of Goldsboro, North Carolina on January 23, 1961 when the B-52 plane carrying them broke up in mid-air, according to the file.One of the bombs began to detonate -- a single switch was all that stopped it from doing so. The three other safety mechanisms designed to prevent an unintended detonation failed.The US government has acknowledged the accident before,

http://news.yahoo.com/us-nearly-detonated-atomic-bomb-accident-1961-file-095356688.html

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
No! Mayberry would have been DESTROYED! Andy, Aunt Bee, Opie, Barney, etc. All to dust.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Probably need to take this with a grain of salt as regards how close those bombs came to going off. As someone familiar with the designs of the control systems, I doubt it was as close as they made it look. To begin with the bombs have to be MANUALLY ARMED before they are dropped. the likelihood of them arming themselves is kind of low.

Rogah

Reaction score
Probably need to take this with a grain of salt as regards how close those bombs came to going off. As someone familiar with the designs of the control systems, I doubt it was as close as they made it look. To begin with the bombs have to be MANUALLY ARMED before they are dropped. the likelihood of them arming themselves is kind of low.
That was my impression too. But the truth often doesn't make for as good of a story.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
So what the hell happened to the plane and the bombs?

Plane breaks up but the bomb was diffused.......alright, what about the plane?

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
So what the hell happened to the plane and the bombs?

Plane breaks up but the bomb was diffused.......alright, what about the plane?

It disappeared into a rift in time. It'll show up in another 371 years.