ATT iPhone users - Important Info Inside

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3429036 said:
Yeah, I think everyone would benefit if the iPhone was available through multiple carriers.

It will be in 2012.
If the world doesn't end. :D

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas;3429032 said:
The reason they went to this new 2gb data plan thing is because they opened up tethering on the network and now you basically can't do crap in any big city on the 3g network.

I was in Santa Ana last week and I couldn't do CRAP. I finally gave up and went back to the pool to watch the bikinis.

Dallas 1 AT&T 0
Oh I see..

I was actually thinking of getting the tethering plan, but I have Wifi almost everywhere I go now. No real need for it.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3429042 said:
Oh I see..

I was actually thinking of getting the tethering plan, but I have Wifi almost everywhere I go now. No real need for it.

You folks are so fortunate in the lower 48. You have free wi-fi pretty much everywhere you go.

It isn't like that here in Anchorage. :(

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3429055 said:
You folks are so fortunate in the lower 48. You have free wi-fi pretty much everywhere you go.

It isn't like that here in Anchorage. :(

:omg: You should move! :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3429080 said:
Take at least a 50k pay cut?

No thanks. I'll fly.

I hope you're packing that away for an early retirement. Cause it isn't worth it to live there!

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
nyc;3429084 said:
I hope you're packing that away for an early retirement. Cause it isn't worth it to live there!

Sure it is. Ive lived here for nearly 27 years. I wouldn't trade the summers for anywhere in the world.

The winters are long but they aren't so bad. I have all the toys and a cabin we escape to.

I fly out regularly to Cali and Hawaii and Texas.

Im not missing anything really. =)

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
nyc;3428987 said:
What I heard was that if you "upgrade" to the new phone, you lose it. If your contract completes, you can still keep it. (Grandfathered in) Just don't make any changes to your contract or you get a new one!

If you sign/agree to a NEW contract, then you get the new limited plan. Obviously, you need to physically call AT&T to verify.

Reason for it? Got to make room on the network for all those new iPads sucking down video content. :laugh2:

Damn Pr0n!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time really. Soon all carrier will follow this model.

You think it's a coincidence things like Netflix, Video Chat and Skype didn't make an apperance until they got rid of unlimited data?

This is also what Internet Providers want to start doing now too, charging you based on how much you download instead of just how fast the connection is.

People have been fighting that for years, but Mobile companies have never had to play by any sort of rules so there's no resistance there.

If this makes you mad, you should think about the fact that they still charge you for text messages when the amount of data sent via text is miniscule in comparison to what you'd use just viewing a single web page.

Cell companies have always ran a racket, so getting upset now is a little too late.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Even if you are grandfathered in on the unlimited plan, if you add tethering you'll get bumped down to one of the limited plans. I'm going to have to look over my past bills and see how much I've been using. Probably not anywhere near 2GB a month, so it wouldn't hurt. But then I don't really *need* tethering either so...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this move is something proponents of net neutrality will frown on.

I read an interesting blog by Mark Cuban several years ago called "The Internet is Dead" or something like that. When you look at the title, you think it is crap but after reading it, he makes a lot of interesting points. Basically stating that since the Internet infrastructure is in the control of a handful of companies, there really is no incentive for those companies to improve the infrastructure and ultimately this will stifle innovation because developers will not be able to make applications that require more bandwidth .

That was kind of the gist of his argument.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;3429130 said:
It's only a matter of time really. Soon all carrier will follow this model.

You think it's a coincidence things like Netflix, Video Chat and Skype didn't make an apperance until they got rid of unlimited data?

This is also what Internet Providers want to start doing now too, charging you based on how much you download instead of just how fast the connection is.

People have been fighting that for years, but Mobile companies have never had to play by any sort of rules so there's no resistance there.

If this makes you mad, you should think about the fact that they still charge you for text messages when the amount of data sent via text is miniscule in comparison to what you'd use just viewing a single web page.

Cell companies have always ran a racket, so getting upset now is a little too late.

Damn. This post really hits the nail.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I averaged just under 100 MB per month for the past 6 months and I use my phone a lot; granted, most of my app and music downloads occur when I'm at home on wifi. Looks like this will save me a few bucks.

AT&T has said that 98% of their users use less than 2 GB per month.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
This website seems to refute this:

As a current iPhone owner, can I keep my unlimited plan when I purchase my new iPhone 4?
Yes. Although AT&T won’t comment on the new iPhone since it’s not released yet, they will say this:

Screen-shot-2010-06-05-at-12.12.52-AM.png

Same here:

Existing AT&T smartphone customers upgrading to iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS are not required to switch to a new plan, but can choose to do so. iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G customers can add tethering to AT&T DataPro for an additional $20 per month.

Lots of places around the net saying you can keep the unlimited plan if you're upgrading.

kapolani

Reaction score
All of you screaming to move to Verizon etc. fail to realize that this is inevitable.

If Verizon ever put out a device as popular as the iPhone it would suffer the same bandwidth/throughput problem.

As more and more people get smartphones ,bandwidth on any carrier will start suffering.

All of you act like there is a unlimited supply of internet magic.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
kapolani;3429565 said:
All of you screaming to move to Verizon etc. fail to realize that this is inevitable.

If Verizon ever put out a device as popular as the iPhone it would suffer the same bandwidth/throughput problem.

As more and more people get smartphones ,bandwidth on any carrier will start suffering.

All of you act like there is a unlimited supply of internet magic.

I don't think its just a scream for Verison, but rather a scream for options. Spreading the bandwidth out over multiple carriers is going to alleviate some of the headaches. Also, AT&T customer service blows goats for quarters. As does their marketing department.

I'm going to try and hold off for a few months when the iphone is released to other carriers...to try and see how smoothly the transition is (should be seamless with as much time as they've had to prepare), but I'm definitely thinking of joining the exodus from AT&T.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Dallas;3429752 said:
I do network security for the State of Alaska.

...and you think you will make $50k less if you move to the lower 48? :laugh2: