Attention Kiper Haters:

2much2soon

Reaction score
They were interviewing Daryn Colledge on the local sports talk radio in Boise this afternoon.
They asked Colledge about Kiper's comments that he is too weak in the upper body to play in the NFL since he only did 22 reps in the bench press.
Colledge explained that BSU's weight program focused on squats and power cleans for building strength, with almost no bench press training.
Colledge then called Kiper an idiot who reads stats on paper and thinks he knows everything about a player. It was hilarious.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
Colledge then called Kiper an idiot who reads stats on paper and thinks he knows everything about a player. It was hilarious.

and true

Kiper has turned into a real annoying person IMO, and his draft "expertise" this weekend was really lacking

Mayock was much more informed IMO

David

VoR

Reaction score
Dallas wanted him in the 2nd. Too bad, he's going to be good.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
The thing I like about mayock is that he doesnt act like a "Know It All" goof.

The Realist

Reaction score
More than Kaczur (15 ish) and Mankins 21. They started 26 combined games last year.

MiStar

Reaction score
Colledge is the man, it's a shame that he isn't a Cowboy.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
2much2soon said:
They were interviewing Daryn Colledge on the local sports talk radio in Boise this afternoon.
They asked Colledge about Kiper's comments that he is too weak in the upper body to play in the NFL since he only did 22 reps in the bench press.
Colledge explained that BSU's weight program focused on squats and power cleans for building strength, with almost no bench press training.
Maybe I'm not getting the point...if the guy is weak in the upper body and only did 22 reps, pretty sad for an OT, then how does that make Kiper wrong? REgardless of the kid's excuse for his lack of upper body strength in the bench press, which is a key lift for an offensive lineman who is essentially bench pressing against the defender on every play, isn't kiper still correct?

cstanton1987

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Maybe I'm not getting the point...if the guy is weak in the upper body and only did 22 reps, pretty sad for an OT, then how does that make Kiper wrong? REgardless of the kid's excuse for his lack of upper body strength in the bench press, which is a key lift for an offensive lineman who is essentially bench pressing against the defender on every play, isn't kiper still correct?

No a linemen getting out of his stance in run blocking explodes from his legs not his arms. Upper-body strength is a little more important in pass blocking.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

I can bench press quite a lot more than most regular people and it means jack as far as how well I can push some guy around course if he would let me lay on my back...ok nvm this got wierd forget I said anything

jumanji

Reaction score
nobody knows which players will pan out...nobody. all you can do is look at numbers, look at stats and numbers, talk to coaches and after all that....guess.

that's all anybody can do. kiper like any other draft expert and there are tons, including several self proclaimed ones on here is never right 100% of the time.

its an opinion he sellls, his. why is that so hard for people to swallow

silver

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
i agree. larry allen can bench press kiper and colledge together. that's what makes him good. i wonder how many reps good ol jacob rogers did at the combine in '04

davey999

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
and true

Kiper has turned into a real annoying person IMO, and his draft "expertise" this weekend was really lacking

Mayock was much more informed IMO

David

Forget Mayock, how about Corey Chavous?

baj1dallas

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

There are powerlifters that can benchpress 1000 pounds, but couldn't play two downs in the NFL. Think about it, what is the strength you need in your upper body to be an o-lineman. It's not to push. You use your hands for leverage and drive with your legs. You need an explosive hand punch off the snap to establish it, that is where your upper body comes in.

And besides, can you do 22 reps with 225 pounds?

MadCow

Reaction score
davey999 said:
Forget Mayock, how about Corey Chavous?

Chavous was great on the NFL Network. Definitely big future ahead for him once he stops playing.

2much2soon

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
There are powerlifters that can benchpress 1000 pounds, but couldn't play two downs in the NFL. Think about it, what is the strength you need in your upper body to be an o-lineman. It's not to push. You use your hands for leverage and drive with your legs. You need an explosive hand punch off the snap to establish it, that is where your upper body comes in.

And besides, can you do 22 reps with 225 pounds?

Exactly, leg and lower torso/trunk strength are where real power come from.
Sure, LA can bench press a helluva lot, but he is also extremely powerful from the mid-drift on down.

ddh33

Reaction score
I don't get caught up in the hatred of Mel Kiper. He's just a guy who has a job most of us would like to have. I think Mel's most impressive attribute is that he can say something about every single player.

I actually watched the draft on NFL Network. I really enjoy Mike Mayock. Corey Chavous also did a fine job of commenting on players. Between the two of them, you get to see a player more from a player/former player perspective.

With all due respect to ESPN (which is very little), they need to get some guys on their program that actually watch games and know the players names.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Maybe I'm not getting the point...if the guy is weak in the upper body and only did 22 reps, pretty sad for an OT, then how does that make Kiper wrong?

Kiper is wrong because Colledge didn't bench at Boise State, they didn't ask their players to, and yet he still managed to put up 22 reps, that's pretty good for someone who doesn't work at it