Attention Kiper Haters:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
cstanton1987 said:
No a linemen getting out of his stance in run blocking explodes from his legs not his arms. Upper-body strength is a little more important in pass blocking.

But linemen also have to lock their hands onto defenders and defend against swim moves, chops and other arm-battling techinques and that requires upper body strength.

And Kiper was right. Sounds like Colledge was giving a reason why he wasn't strong in the upper body. So what if Boise State didn't focus on the bench press.

That seems to be the reason why he didn't do more reps. Weakness, of course, is relative to what other linemen were able to do.

2much2soon

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
But linemen also have to lock their hands onto defenders and defend against swim moves, chops and other arm-battling techinques and that requires upper body strength.

And Kiper was right. Sounds like Colledge was giving a reason why he wasn't strong in the upper body. So what if Boise State didn't focus on the bench press.

That seems to be the reason why he didn't do more reps. Weakness, of course, is relative to what other linemen were able to do.

I think NFL personnel people know what is important when it comes to measurables. And they know there is more to the strength equation than the bench press.
Obviously, if they felt Colledge's bench press numbers were a problem, as Kiper claimed, they certainly wouldn't have made him the 3rd OT taken in the draft.
Kiper carved out a niche as a broadcaster/self-appointed draft guru based on his personality and ability to create controversy among fans.
Its working, isn't it?
Personally, I don't like him because he is another product of the ESPN syndrome where commentators think they are more important than the sports they cover. They are given a lot of latitude to run their mouths on national TV even though they are off base a lot of the time.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
2much2soon said:
They were interviewing Daryn Colledge on the local sports talk radio in Boise this afternoon.
They asked Colledge about Kiper's comments that he is too weak in the upper body to play in the NFL since he only did 22 reps in the bench press.
Colledge explained that BSU's weight program focused on squats and power cleans for building strength, with almost no bench press training.
Colledge then called Kiper an idiot who reads stats on paper and thinks he knows everything about a player. It was hilarious.

What's funnier is that Robert Gallery did 25 reps at the combine and some of them were disputed, saying he was bouncing the bar off his chest instead of pushing the weight upwards.

Really, doing 22 bench press reps for an O-Linemen is nothing to get in a tuff over.

Rich......

Eddie

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Maybe I'm not getting the point...if the guy is weak in the upper body and only did 22 reps, pretty sad for an OT, then how does that make Kiper wrong? REgardless of the kid's excuse for his lack of upper body strength in the bench press, which is a key lift for an offensive lineman who is essentially bench pressing against the defender on every play, isn't kiper still correct?

22 reps at 225 is not an indication of strength. It's an indication of his endurance. 225 for a pro athlete is NOT alot of weight ... it's like us trying to bench 50 lbs.

It's not that we don't have the strength to lift more, but our endurance falls off.

My guess is he can power lift 500+ lbs without a problem. Strength training is not about repetitions ... it's about intensity and weight.

I bet most professional and olympic power lifters can't do many reps at 225 either. But throw on 700 lbs on the bar, and they'll throw it through the roof.

Colledge would have been a nice addition to the Cowboys.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
cstanton1987 said:
No a linemen getting out of his stance in run blocking explodes from his legs not his arms. Upper-body strength is a little more important in pass blocking.

Short of being Larry Allen.
Few and far between.

You have to move your feet to get into position for good drive blocks.

superpunk

Reaction score
TwoSteppinJJ said:
The thing I like about mayock is that he doesnt act like a "Know It All" goof.

That, and he actually breaks down game tape, rather than reciting mindless stats and combine numbers. Those are nice, but we can all see them anyway. Mayock's analysis was great - and Corey Chavous is awesome.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
2much2soon said:
I think NFL personnel people know what is important when it comes to measurables. And they know there is more to the strength equation than the bench press.
Obviously, if they felt Colledge's bench press numbers were a problem, as Kiper claimed, they certainly wouldn't have made him the 3rd OT taken in the draft.
Kiper carved out a niche as a broadcaster/self-appointed draft guru based on his personality and ability to create controversy among fans.
Its working, isn't it?
Personally, I don't like him because he is another product of the ESPN syndrome where commentators think they are more important than the sports they cover. They are given a lot of latitude to run their mouths on national TV even though they are off base a lot of the time.

Thanks. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I think some of the ESPN guys - Irvine for one do not think the way the daily announcers do.
Mike thinks as an entertainer. Which is what I like.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
what I find funny is that Colledge says Kiper is an idiot.

Colledge knew he'd be bench pressing and that his weight program hadn't focused on that. Ya think you might want to train a little there?

Colledge busts out better combine strength #s and he's in the first round making a ton more money.

Who is the idiot now?

30yrheel

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Colledge knew he'd be bench pressing and that his weight program hadn't focused on that. Ya think you might want to train a little there?

Colledge busts out better combine strength #s and he's in the first round making a ton more money.

Who is the idiot now?
My thoughts exactly. You have to work on the things that you know will be tested, so he should've worked to improve his bench (or maybe he did and that's all he can do?). anybody can improve if given a few weeks to prepare.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Who is the idiot now?

I agree.

And I read somewhere before the draft that this kid is an oddball.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Who is the idiot now?
:signmast: Simple if it was not important nfl people would not ask them to do it and for those that have never played on the o-line bench press and squats are the most important numbers to gauge strenght in a lineman, like a poster said above it is also a test of stamina and if your reps are low that means you strenght will not last long, meaning you might start getting beat late in a game.