Attributes Of A Super Bowl Team (2000-2020)

75boyz

Reaction score
Go ahead and do the work and show it then.

Because in the modern NFL, something like 20 teams a year are cupcakes. Beating multiple playoff-winning teams in the regular season does not happen outside of the rare anomaly.

Oh no I'll take your word for it, lol. I always thought it was just the opposite

Ya know that word parity and that most NFL games are decided by one score or even one play nowadays. My bad.
Well going by that logic then and since the Cowboys have the second easiest schedule this year and play in the worst division in football, anything less than a conference championship will be a huge let down.
Totally changed my expectations.

Thanks for the insight.

Sarcasm on.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
17 out of 21 Super Bowl champions ranked higher in preventing points than they did in preventing yardage. The greater the difference, the higher they ranked in takeaways.
This is a good breakdown, but really, 20 years ago isn't recent. 2015 is the benchmark because that's when they put the emphasis on illegal contact.
If I only used 2015 and beyond, it would be extremely difficult to find anything useful with such a small data pool.

I admit that what I have done isn't definitive by proper statistical standards. The data pool is still too small to make high confidence statements but it still yields some interesting trends. Or, it might be better to say that it leans towards confirming certain ideas like the value of turnovers and how they can make an average defense more of an asset.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I took each SB champion's regular season rankings in key areas and found their average scores. I wanted to determine the areas in which the averages were the highest.

Although it seems rather obvious that the teams would average very high scores in offense and defense, both in points and yards, the reality may surprise you.

Here are some interesting averages for the Super Bowl champions from 2000 to 2020: Again, this is the average of their numerical rank compared to all other teams that season.

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

Offensively, their best scores are in points. Super Bowl teams are generally prolific scorers. They are especially good in the passing game. They are also good at keeping turnovers to a minimum. Not much of a surprise there.

Defensively, SB championship teams are very good at preventing points....obviously. However, they don't necessarily have a dominating defense in terms of preventing teams from advancing. They excel in takeaways. One important formula for Super Bowl teams is getting the takeaways, thus preventing opponent scoring but also giving their offense an extra drive with excellent field position.

You will notice that SB defenses are passed on a great deal. Yet, their opponents are generally unsuccessful in their passing game. Of course, this is most likely due to their need to pass because they are behind. On the other hand, the number of offensive passing plays are average compared to opponents. most likely this is true because they run the ball more late in the game to eat clock.

Notice that Super Bowl championship teams aren't particularly dominant in recent history, rather they are typically efficient in most areas, with very few weak areas. Again, I am profiling the "average" SB team. there are exceptions of course.

What does this mean as far as the Cowboys are concerned?

The offense is a SB quality offense. However, the greatest change that the defense must make in order to be a SB quality defense isn't really stopping their opponents from gaining yardage. The key to a successful Cowboys playoff run has been their Achilles heal for a quarter of a century. The defense must learn to produce takeaways.
Excellent analysis my good man!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It has been done, but it's less likely when you're a one-sided team. As you noted, even the '85 Bears had an offense.

The last 9 SB champs were top 10 in scoring offense AND scoring defense. So were all 5 Cowboys SB championship teams.

Agreed, but key word in my post was "have" to. There are some here who insist that all you need is the great offense, and a few who insist all you need is the great defense, my point is like yours, being good on both sides of the ball is much more likely to get you SB wins...

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
What year did they put dresses on QB's. Well QB's that did not wear a star. And some QB's had better protected dresses as well. Then see what the stats are. :muttley:
That was always like that for some special QBs , TB and AR comes to mind.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I took each SB champion's regular season rankings in key areas and found their average scores. I wanted to determine the areas in which the averages were the highest.

Although it seems rather obvious that the teams would average very high scores in offense and defense, both in points and yards, the reality may surprise you.

Here are some interesting averages for the Super Bowl champions from 2000 to 2020: Again, this is the average of their numerical rank compared to all other teams that season.

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

Offensively, their best scores are in points. Super Bowl teams are generally prolific scorers. They are especially good in the passing game. They are also good at keeping turnovers to a minimum. Not much of a surprise there.

Defensively, SB championship teams are very good at preventing points....obviously. However, they don't necessarily have a dominating defense in terms of preventing teams from advancing. They excel in takeaways. One important formula for Super Bowl teams is getting the takeaways, thus preventing opponent scoring but also giving their offense an extra drive with excellent field position.

You will notice that SB defenses are passed on a great deal. Yet, their opponents are generally unsuccessful in their passing game. Of course, this is most likely due to their need to pass because they are behind. On the other hand, the number of offensive passing plays are average compared to opponents. most likely this is true because they run the ball more late in the game to eat clock.

Notice that Super Bowl championship teams aren't particularly dominant in recent history, rather they are typically efficient in most areas, with very few weak areas. Again, I am profiling the "average" SB team. there are exceptions of course.

The offense is a SB quality offense. However, the greatest change that the defense must make in order to be a SB quality defense isn't really stopping their opponents from gaining yardage. The key to a successful Cowboys playoff run has been their Achilles heal for a quarter of a century. The defense must learn to produce takeaways.
Great post.

FrankM

Reaction score

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

Great job on the data. The defense producing turnovers is the key to the Cowboys winning the SB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I thought there would at least be a courtesy mention of the somewhat 2019 outlier based on yards and points by this team.

First in yards and 6th in points offensively,
9th in yards gained against and 11th in points allowed defensively.

But still that glaring 25th in turnovers.

Dallas finished with a positive turnover differential in 2013 yet missed the playoffs because they allowed the most yards in franchise history (at the time).

Since then, the Cowboys have had a positive turnover differential three times - 2014, 2016, and 2018. They reached the playoffs each year. When they've had a negative differential - 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2020 - they've missed the postseason.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

It's what I've been saying. We have a Super Bowl quality offense and just need the defense to make a big jump this year and we can be there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

more than anything coaching comes to play in post season. yes, a Brady helps. of course. he is a coach under center. but a coach who has play off experience. can manage the game. make right critical calls at the right time. and players with playoff experience that can elevate the game. understand the sense of urgency.

and in regards to TO, I think superbowl and playoff teams tend to be better at take aways....I can't remember the exact stats, but it was something like +1 turnover teams win 75% of the time. +2 and its about 90% and +3 about 98% of the time. so turnovers are key

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

Note that, while turnovers are hugely influential in determining the outcomes of games, they're also highly variable from year to year: there's a lot of luck involved. If every team in the league had the same skill level at getting takeaways and avoiding turnovers, you would still see that SB teams looked really good in these categories, because the teams that had lucky years would've won more games and made the playoffs more often than the teams that had unlucky years. It's not very predictive.

Of course, it's not entirely luck: the Cowboys have been pretty bad at getting INTs in particular for a while, so there's certainly room for improvement. But the stats you show are subject to survivorship bias.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

LOL............well done!! You put a lot of time into that.

But seriously, all anyone had to do to come to the same conclusion was listen to a core group of posters on here.

Offense is SB caliber yet the defense doesnt cut it. Especially in things like turnovers.

There is still a faction, albeit a troll faction that thinks the offense is the problem and the defense is fine. If they even know what defense is at all.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
these super bowl winners had a safety who made the pro bowl/All-Pro either that year or conjoining years

2000 Rod Woodson
2001 Lawyer Milloy
2002 John Lynch
2003 Rodney Harrison made All-Pro, PB snub
2004 Rodney Harrison again
2005 Troy Polamalu All-Pro
2006 Bob Sanders all-pro 2005+2007

2008 Troy Polamalu All-Pro
2009 Roman Harper, Darren Sharper All-Pro
2010 Nick Collins (Charles Woodson played some)
2011 Antrel Rolle made it previous 2 years
2012 Ed Reed
2013 Earl Thomas All-Pro, Cam Chancellor

2015 TJ Ward 2014, Darian Stewart 2016
2016 Devin Mccourty
2017 Malcolm Jenkins

2019 Tyrann Mathieu All-Pro

—————-

there’s an oddly specific stat for you. So unless you’ve got Tom Brady, you’re going to need one of these guys

Now how many teams had All-Pro/pro bowl safeties and did not win the super bowl that year or ‘conjoining’ years?

There is an important difference between correlation and causality: Correlation is a number that measures how closely the data are related. Causality is the conclusion that x causes y.

I appreciate the interesting data but it does not prove x causes y.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Now how many teams had All-Pro/pro bowl safeties and did not win the super bowl that year or ‘conjoining’ years?

There is an important difference between correlation and causality: Correlation is a number that measures how closely the data are related. Causality is the conclusion that x causes y.

I appreciate the interesting data but it does not prove x causes y.

Well that’s not entirely fair because only 1 team can win every year, which is almost always a team with great safety play.

The better question is how many teams with great safety play didn’t win when a team with generic safeties won, and going by the list I mentioned, that didn’t happen very often at all (unless you happen to have the GOAT)

SloMo_Joe

Reaction score

Offense:

PF 8.1
Yds 11.2
TO 9.9
FL 12.7
1stD 10.9
Pass Att 15.8
Pass Yds 11.5
Pass TD 9.0
Int 10.0
NY/A 10.3
Rush Att 12.0
Rush Yds 14.2
Rush TD 12.0
Y/A 17.6
Sc% 9.2

Defense:

PF 7.3
Yds 10.5
TO 8.0
FL 11.9
1stD 12.4
Pass Att 20.1
Pass Yds 12.9
Pass TD 8.2
Int 8.3
NY/A 8.5
Rush Att 10.3
Rush Yds 10.4
Rush TD 9.1
Y/A 12.5
Sc% 24.9

Missed one thing they all have in common. An owner not named Jerry Jones....lol

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well that’s not entirely fair because only 1 team can win every year, which is almost always a team with great safety play.

The better question is how many teams with great safety play didn’t win when a team with generic safeties won, and going by the list I mentioned, that didn’t happen very often at all (unless you happen to have the GOAT)

You are trying to show a possible correlation of All-Pro safety and super bowl. To do that you would have to do the same thing using the same criteria for all positions and compare. If you find something similar with CB or DE or OT, then you don’t have much of anything.

To show causality, you would need to explain why teams with an All-Pro safety did not win the Super Bowl.

If you have a case of x not causing y, you cannot say x causes y. Since there are most likely instances of All-Pro safeties not winning the super bowl, you can’t say an All-Pro safety caused the super bowl.

Make sure you use the same data bias, conjoining years, for the other positions too. Would be interesting if it holds for CBs too.