Audio: Emmitt explains things on Irvin Show

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Emmitt explains things on Irvin Show

By dcfanatic,

You still hating on Emmitt Smith? Listen to this interview and I think you will understand that the man is just like me and you when it comes to the Dallas
Cowboys...

Emmitt on The Michael Irvin Show

I think we all just need some new games to talk about and that's what I take from this interview.

Emmitt is a diehard and he wants a winner. Just like you and me. He wants this team to stop talking about being a great football team and actually start being one.

Hostile and I went over this entire interview tonight on DCFanatic Radio and enlightened with some brilliant commentary if you are interested.

Yeah, Emmitt says this team may only win seven games in 2009. But I think you can understand after hearing this interview that he wants more than anything for this team to prove him wrong.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
I like and agree with what Emmit is saying. Does he sound bitter? Hell yes.

As a fan I am bitter. Think back to last years Steelers and Ravens games and the bitterness will come.

In both games our Offense and Defense failed to show leadership. Last game in Texas Stadium and we give up two long runs on D? WOW. Hell yes I am bitter. Prove me wrong Tony, Jason, RW, MB III, DW, T-New and our coaches. SHOW US THE LEADERSHIP OR WE WILL CONTINUE TO BE BITTER!

MONT17

Reaction score
Best game the Triplets played, was the 94 NFCC game, with the deck/world stacked against them, including a bunch of probowl free agents signed by the 9ers to do 1 thing... BEAT THE DALLAS COWBOYS!

the Refs still had to steal the game from them... Yeah the Boys lost the game but not the respect of the NFL!

kmd24

Reaction score
This team, decimated by injuries, went 9-7. How anyone can think they'll do worse in 2009 is mind-boggling.

I think Emmitt was just punishing the Cowboys for 2008 rather than being objective.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I agree with Emmitt on most of what he said. It is maddening to see this team go so long without any playoff success and I totally understand his frustration about it.

That said, I disagree with his assessment of this upcoming season and I believe we will go all the way this year, but he is entitled to his opinion so I won't get on his case much about it.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
kmd24;2934327 said:
This team, decimated by injuries, went 9-7. How anyone can think they'll do worse in 2009 is mind-boggling.

I think Emmitt was just punishing the Cowboys for 2008 rather than being objective.

I tend to agree with your thought here. There is no way Emmitt doesn't want the Cowboys to win. The Cowboys were destroyed by the Eagles at the end last year. That leaves an awful taste that's hard to forget.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If he wants them to be a winner so bad, then why doesn't he spend some time there helping out instead of bashing them every chance he gets. Spend some time with Barber, Jones, and Choice. Show them the routines and whatever else you did to avoid injuries and give them pointers if you see something they could improve on. I just don't see any reason to call them out before the season. If they start out 4-4, then by all means, let them have it.

Personally, I think think most ex-players become bitter, especially the star players. The reason is money. They are still young men, they had success in their field, and they see rookies and other players who couldn't hold their jock signing mega deals that dwarf any money they ever made. I think that leads to bitterness and all the negativity we see with ex-players on TV.

Dodger12

Reaction score
While I may not agree with 7 and 9, Emmitt is spot on with his assessment of this team. They fold under pressure and the window of opportunity is closing. At some point, you have to do it on the field.

And where does Roy think he is? Cincy? He came to the highest profile team in the world and was paid like a #1 receiver. In 10 games the didn't average 20 yards a game and to make matters worse, questions arose about his work ethic and running the right routes. Miles Austin had more receiving yards then RW and that's nothing short of pathetic.

Roy needs to be a leader on this team, lead by example and make the plays that will silence his critics. To whom much is given much is expected.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2934343 said:
If he wants them to be a winner so bad, then why doesn't he spend some time there helping out instead of bashing them every chance he gets. Spend some time with Barber, Jones, and Choice. Show them the routines and whatever else you did to avoid injuries and give them pointers if you see something they could improve on. I just don't see any reason to call them out before the season. If they start out 4-4, then by all means, let them have it.

Personally, I think think most ex-players become bitter, especially the star players. The reason is money. They are still young men, they had success in their field, and they see rookies and other players who couldn't hold their jock signing mega deals that dwarf any money they ever made. I think that leads to bitterness and all the negativity we see with ex-players on TV.

I don't know if it's the money or not, certainly that plays a factor, but I think it is more that they just don't see the same level of dedication that they had when they played.

I remember when Magic Johnson coached the Lakers for short time and everyone thought he would make a great HC but he gave it up because the players just wouldn't practice as hard or put in the extra time required to become great players.

Larry Bird ran into the same thing when he was coaching the Pacers. I think guys like Emmitt and Irvin remember how it was when they played and don't see the same level of commitment from this team that they and their teammates had.

Some of that is just the "it-was-so-much-better-when-we-played" and they are just forgetting all the dumb players they had on those teams, but mostly I think it was the TEAM attitude that ALL championship teams have that has been missing since our last SB win. I believe we are seeing it again this year and that's the main reason why I am picking the Boys to go all the way. I think once Emmitt starts to see some of that his feelings about this team will change.

He is right, talk is cheap and until we start to see it in games it is still just talk. Saying all the right things doesn't mean squat if you aren't doing it on the field.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Cant say that I disagree with anthing he said, his sentiments match much of my concerns as well. I really like what he said about the offense having the D's back and vice versa. This team can beat anyone if they play together, never give up and avoid injuries.

Let's face it, the ending of the last three seasons has been gut-wrenching:

We're 3-8 in the last 3 regular season games + playoff (if applicable).

Included in these losses each and everyone on of those years are losses to the team I hate more than any other, ****ING Eagles.

I still get sick to my stomach thinking about those losses to the Seahawks, Eagles, Ravens, Giants, Steelers.

Emmitt may not be bitter, but I have to admit I am.

Yeah, I believe they have enough talent to win it all, but I don't trust them to do it and will only believe it when I see it.

Thank gawd my feelings don't have any bearing on the outcome

kmd24

Reaction score
Dodger12;2934344 said:
While I may not agree with 7 and 9, Emmitt is spot on with his assessment of this team. They fold under pressure and the window of opportunity is closing. At some point, you have to do it on the field.

And where does Roy think he is? Cincy? He came to the highest profile team in the world and was paid like a #1 receiver. In 10 games the didn't average 20 yards a game and to make matters worse, questions arose about his work ethic and running the right routes. Miles Austin had more receiving yards then RW and that's nothing short of pathetic.

Roy needs to be a leader on this team, lead by example and make the plays that will silence his critics. To whom much is given much is expected.

I think what's frustrating for Roy is that he has put in a lot of extra effort this offseason, but he's still getting roasted despite the fact that he hasn't stepped on the field in a meaningful game in 2009.

I wish he would just shut up and use the criticism to fuel his determination, but that's never been his style. I am glad he's a Cowboy, but I am starting to worry that Dallas is the worst places he could have landed with the possible exception of New York.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The weirdest thing that he said was that the team's overall talent equated to 7-9, but could finish with a better record if they cut down on the mistakes, worked hard, etc. Seems like he wanted to have it both ways.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
bbgun;2934504 said:
The weirdest thing that he said was that the team's overall talent equated to 7-9, but could finish with a better record if they cut down on the mistakes, worked hard, etc. Seems like he wanted to have it both ways.
That came across to me as if he was "softening" his prediction. Earlier he flat out predicted 7-9 which was totally illogical. In this interview he says they can win 7 games on just talent alone. That right there should tell him they will win more than 7 unless he expects them to not execute in any of their games.

He is not a Cowboys hater by any means. But he made a stupid prediction and now he's dealing with the fallout. Yes he makes some good points about leadership, execution, etc. But his prediction??????

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Emmitt makes a bunch of nonsensical comments, as usual.

He says we don't have the chemistry... Yet we did everything possible this offseason to improve the chemistry.

He says we're tired of this team talking about how good they're going to be... Yet everyone has kept his mouth shut this offseason.

He says chemistry is more important than talent... Yet he then claims our window is closing because we're losing talent.

Finally, he acts like his words were twisted, when he's the one who clearly said we could probably win seven games.

The only thing he made sense about was when he admitted that he doesn't really know what the chemistry is like because he's not around the team, and when he admitted that maybe the old teams spoiled him.

Reaction score
bbgun;2934504 said:

I agree.

The biggest take away I got from this interview is that Emmitt basically admitted that he and Michael Irvin were/are wrong about their constant haranguing in public about what's wrong with this year's Cowboys (negative, not balanced). I think he is trying to back-track from his prediction of "7 wins", but I do think he sincerely wants the Cowboys to win and be successful, just like we all want the high school and colleges we played for to win. Basically what he has said here is that he is saying these things with a negative bias because he wants the team to do better, whereas if he explained himself in a more balanced and objective way there would not have been much controversy.

I also thought it was intellectually dishonest of Michael Irvin to intimate that Roy Williams made unprovoked statements about Emmitt including the "diamond among trash" statement. If Roy did mention that it was probably in response to a question about Emmitt saying something about him, it makes no sense for Roy to pop-off about Emmitt spontaneously, I am glad Emmitt didn't go for the bait on that one.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2934184 said:
Emmitt explains things on Irvin Show

By dcfanatic,

You still hating on Emmitt Smith? Listen to this interview and I think you will understand that the man is just like me and you when it comes to the Dallas
Cowboys...

Emmitt on The Michael Irvin Show

I think we all just need some new games to talk about and that's what I take from this interview.

Emmitt is a diehard and he wants a winner. Just like you and me. He wants this team to stop talking about being a great football team and actually start being one.

Hostile and I went over this entire interview tonight on DCFanatic Radio and enlightened with some brilliant commentary if you are interested.

Yeah, Emmitt says this team may only win seven games in 2009. But I think you can understand after hearing this interview that he wants more than anything for this team to prove him wrong.

To those that bashed Emmitt... Still hate what he said earlier this week? The guy has been to the mountain top and basked in the deserved glory with his fellow teammates. He only wants to see success in those that wear the star. It's deeply ingrained in him. 13 years is far too long. If you can't understand where Emmitt is coming from then you need to take a look in the mirror. Some would rather see success over perpetual mediocrity.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Drederick Tatum;2934532 said:
I also thought it was intellectually dishonest of Michael Irvin to intimate that Roy Williams made unprovoked statements about Emmitt including the "diamond among trash" statement. If Roy did mention that it was probably in response to a question about Emmitt saying something about him, it makes no sense for Roy to pop-off about Emmitt spontaneously, I am glad Emmitt didn't go for the bait on that one.
Totally agree with that. I thought it was pure rabble-rousing for Irvin to ask, "How did it feel for Roy to call out a legend like yourself when he's never done anything in the league?"

Smelled like he wanted Emmitt to reply with another shot at Roy so he'd have more controversy to talk about.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Emmitt is still an idiot. He is back tracking his comments, so he sounds better. I do not dilike Emmitt, but he has proven to be a bad speaker.

Dodger12

Reaction score
kmd24;2934470 said:
I think what's frustrating for Roy is that he has put in a lot of extra effort this offseason, but he's still getting roasted despite the fact that he hasn't stepped on the field in a meaningful game in 2009.

I wish he would just shut up and use the criticism to fuel his determination, but that's never been his style. I am glad he's a Cowboy, but I am starting to worry that Dallas is the worst places he could have landed with the possible exception of New York.

Absolutely agree. He played horribly last season and he just needs to keep his mouth shut, work hard and prove the doubters wrong. He's in no position to be sensitive to the observations of HOF players. Let your play do the talking and everything will work itself out.