Audio: Irvin Show discusses Roy comment

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Roy, Mike and Kevin are all correct

By dcfanatic,

Today I was listening to The Michael Irvin Show and they brought up the comments made by Roy Williams yesterday...

Mike and Kevin discuss Roy's comments

They are all correct. Roy should not have made those comments so Mike and Kevin are right. But Roy is also telling the truth about that Chiefs secondary which is atrocious these days.

I gotta think Roy was just talking, but I do think he was watching that game thinking that he could be doing the same things Austin was doing had he been playing.

But you can't say that stuff Roy. You are kind of belittling the performance by Austin in saying the competition was horrible. It's ok to know it, just don't say it big guy.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I heard this while at work today.

Like you stated, Roy Williams probably didn't mean anything by it.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3014658 said:

He probably did mean something by it - what an egomaniac. He thought he was going to come to Dallas and tear it up and become a big star but instead he is all washed up at 28 - at least he got his money which is what he really wanted in the end.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Eskimo;3014739 said:
He probably did mean something by it - what an egomaniac. He thought he was going to come to Dallas and tear it up and become a big star but instead he is all washed up at 28 - at least he got his money which is what he really wanted in the end.

Nah.

I don't think the guy is washed up.

The problem is we gave him money and gave up draft picks for him to be Terrell Owens.

Roy Williams is not Terrell Owens and very few receivers in NFL History are going to be like Terrell Owens.

I know people are down on Tony Romo but I would argue when he is playing at high level, I don't think you need a "number one" receiver.

I know most will disagree, but I never understood what was wrong with a team that trots out Barber, Jones, Choice, Bennett, Witten, Hurd and Austin on Offense.

Right now, it kind of looks like the only good thing that came out of the Roy Williams trade was it game Jerry Jones the ability to justify getting rid of Terrell Owens.

8FOR!3

Reaction score

This. I don't necessarily agree though. I don't think he would've had 250 and 2 touchdowns. He would've probably still torn up the KC secondary though, just to a little lesser extent. It can't be denied that Miles Austin made some amazing plays, yards after catch too, that touchdown at the end looked like something only TO is capable of. Roy Williams is the man, I'm a fan of any UT player, especially one I really followed throughout his duration as a Longhorn, but does he really think their secondary is THAT bad? We've played some bad secondaries before, but NO Dallas receiver has ever had that many yards in one game. Not Irvin or TO. Not even Bob Hayes put up 250. 246 yes, but not 250.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
8FOR!3;3014781 said:
This. I don't necessarily agree though. I don't think he would've had 250 and 2 touchdowns. He would've probably still torn up the KC secondary though, just to a little lesser extent. It can't be denied that Miles Austin made some amazing plays, yards after catch too, that touchdown at the end looked like something only TO is capable of. Roy Williams is the man, I'm a fan of any UT player, especially one I really followed throughout his duration as a Longhorn, but does he really think their secondary is THAT bad? We've played some bad secondaries before, but NO Dallas receiver has ever had that many yards in one game. Not Irvin or TO. Not even Bob Hayes put up 250. 246 yes, but not 250.

Agreed.

That is the million dollar question.

Would Roy Williams put up those same type of numbers against the Chiefs? And if you don't think he would, that is another million dollar question because it comes down to whether you think he doesn't have the talent or will to do so.

Also, as you stated, yes the Chiefs are bad but this is the NFL and I think folks forget just how talented you have to be to even make it to the NFL, let alone be a starter.

Miles Austin should just use Roy Williams' comments as motivation to prove he isn't a 1 hit wonder.

What's sad, is that I bet all during the week Roy Williams told Miles Austin he had the ability to dominate the Chiefs' Secondary as a way to calm some of Miles Austin's nerves and to show support.

Sadly, now that Roy Williams has voiced those thoughts publicly, it is being seen by some as a way to discredit his performance.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

He didn't mean anything by it, but 20/20 hindsight is a mother. He's probably wishing he said something differently, but it's all good...just come out against Atlanta if you're ready, and knock 'em dead.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Roy dropped 200+ on somebody two years ago (It was either the Eagles or the Cowboys) so I doubt he was hatin. The comments have been taken out of context, I'm sure.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3014801 said:
Would Roy Williams put up those same type of numbers against the Chiefs?

I don't believe Roy Williams has the run after the catch skills Miles Austin possesses, but he is a talented wideout whose turn will hopefully come soon in Big D.

Looking over Roy's career, I picked out his four biggest performances.

'04 week 3 vs Philadelphia: 9 rec, 135 yds, 2 TD
'06 week 4 @ St. Louis: 9 rec, 139 yds, 0 TD
'06 week 6 vs Buffalo: 10 rec, 161 yds, 1 TD
'07 week 3 @ Philadelphia: 9 rec, 204 yds, 1 TD

Tony Romo just needs to find a comfort level with Williams, a big receiver who doesn't always need to be "open" in order to be thrown to.

I was very happy to see Romo trust Austin on that deep route down the left sideline where he had an outstanding leaping grap and took the ball away from the cornerback.

Roy can do that, too.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I think RW would have been tackled on each TD play he would have fell down

IMO

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad secondary or not, I don't see anyone else dropping 10/250/2TDs on the Chiefs.

sbuscha

king****
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3014761 said:
Nah.

I don't think the guy is washed up.

The problem is we gave him money and gave up draft picks for him to be Terrell Owens.

Roy Williams is not Terrell Owens and very few receivers in NFL History are going to be like Terrell Owens.

I know people are down on Tony Romo but I would argue when he is playing at high level, I don't think you need a "number one" receiver.

I know most will disagree, but I never understood what was wrong with a team that trots out Barber, Jones, Choice, Bennett, Witten, Hurd and Austin on Offense.

Right now, it kind of looks like the only good thing that came out of the Roy Williams trade was it game Jerry Jones the ability to justify getting rid of Terrell Owens.

You are 100% correct my friend...

MONT17

Reaction score

My problem is he told Dre and Dre laughed... why would dre laugh? does he think Roy is a joke? or does he think the WR corp is a joke? any way Dre shouldnt laugh at that statement... this team has more problems than an over paid WR!