Audio: Phillips vs Marty: People are talking

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Phillips vs Marty B: People are talking

Right now this isn't really a competition because Marty B is sidelined with the ankle injury, but John Phillips is stepping up with his time on the field and people are noticing...

Nate and Coop Show talking Phillips vs Bennett

The team needs 3 TE's. I just wonder if John Phillips starts getting more playing time how Marty B will accept his new role as the #3 TE. He's already proven that he's not too good listening to criticism and I wonder if he starts complaining at that point.

And you also have to wonder if the Cowboys wouldn't look to move him in a trade at that point because he will still some value to a team as they go into the season. He may not have as much value when the season is over with and he 'didn't get much time on the field.

Here's John Phillips on with Ian and Mosley on Galloway and Company today...

Phillips just doing work

Great attitude and just happy to be doing his job as the Dallas Cowboys #2 TE right now.

Listening to The Football Show right now and Broaddus is telling us that Marty B is doing some running as he prepares to get back on the field and he doesn't look like he's in great shape.

Go John Phillips go!

kmp77

Reaction score
Phillips > Bennett

Is there anything we can get for this guy??? A 7th rounder and a stack of pancackes?? Trade for a lineman? anything?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
VACowboy;3473171 said:
I think he gets one more year.

I agree. I don't think the Cowboys plan on giving up on Bennett just yet. I do think the pressure is on and Bennett has to show it when it counts.

kmp77

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3473175 said:
I do think the pressure is on and Bennett has to show it when it counts.

I think he already did show it :laugh2:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
kmp77;3473177 said:
I think he already did show it :laugh2:

I think the kid has great talent if he can get out of his own way. I think the club feels he has the talent to be a very good all around TE. Bennett is entering his 3rd season and the pressure is no doubt on.

One thing I know for sure fans give up on draft picks much quicker than coaches do.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
MB is a monster blocker and has a much needed role on this team even when he isn't catching the ball. He is worth more than a 7th to us just in case of an injury.

Gaede

Reaction score
dmq;3473189 said:
MB is a monster blocker and has a much needed role on this team even when he isn't catching the ball. He is worth more than a 7th to us just in case of an injury.

That's true. As much as I dislike the guy and want him off the team, he definitely has a role as a blocker.

I think it's just time to significantly lower expectations for him.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I disagree that Bennett hasn't taken criticism well. He bounced back in his rookie year. Last year he blocked quite well.

The issue I have with Bennett is he's supremely talented that there's no reason why he shouldn't be the BEST tight end in the league, even better than Witten. I think that highly of his ability.

But, he seems to be more interested in doing other stuff and more or less wants to be a celebrity over being a great football player.

Like I mentioned in his rookie year, he reminds me of the quote author Malcolm Gladwell had about Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods (at the time this was 2008). Mickelson was known for being supremely talented, but not the hardest working golfer in the game and Tiger was known as the guy that nobody outworked. Gladwell stated that Phil was like the college student who was very smart, but would go out partying before a test because if he failed the test, he could always say to himself that the only reason why he failed was because he didn't really try. But if he had studied and did his best and still failed, that would be mentally devastating to him. And that the difference between Phil and Tiger is that Tiger wasn't afraid of failure and could deal with it.

Like I said, I think Bennett has the athleticism and talent to be the best Tight End in the league. He has shown fantastic, rare type of blocking from a tight end and he has that rare size and athleticism to be a great pass receiver. The problem is that he's afraid of failing if he goes all out. Phillips and Witten are not.

YR

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Gaede;3473196 said:
That's true. As much as I dislike the guy and want him off the team, he definitely has a role as a blocker.

I think it's just time to significantly lower expectations for him.

I'll lower expectations next year but not in year 3.

laythewood28

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3473200 said:
I disagree that Bennett hasn't taken criticism well. He bounced back in his rookie year. Last year he blocked quite well.

The issue I have with Bennett is he's supremely talented that there's no reason why he shouldn't be the BEST tight end in the league, even better than Witten. I think that highly of his ability.

But, he seems to be more interested in doing other stuff and more or less wants to be a celebrity over being a great football player.

Like I mentioned in his rookie year, he reminds me of the quote author Malcolm Gladwell had about Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods (at the time this was 2008). Mickelson was known for being supremely talented, but not the hardest working golfer in the game and Tiger was known as the guy that nobody outworked. Gladwell stated that Phil was like the college student who was very smart, but would go out partying before a test because if he failed the test, he could always say to himself that the only reason why he failed was because he didn't really try. But if he had studied and did his best and still failed, that would be mentally devastating to him. And that the difference between Phil and Tiger is that Tiger wasn't afraid of failure and could deal with it.

Like I said, I think Bennett has the athleticism and talent to be the best Tight End in the league. He has shown fantastic, rare type of blocking from a tight end and he has that rare size and athleticism to be a great pass receiver. The problem is that he's afraid of failing if he goes all out. Phillips and Witten are not.

YR

well put.

Gaede

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3473200 said:

Excellent analogy. It's easier to screw around and in doing so fail on your own terms, than it is to put everything on the line and still fail.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Why does everything have to be one player vs. another? Really.

It's just like with Roy vs. Dez... A lot of people are more interested in individual battles and someone losing their spot than the fact that it's good news for our TEAM that our depth is becoming great.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
VACowboy;3473171 said:
I think he gets one more year.

He'll get one more year, and if it's still not working look for him to be moved in a draft day package.

John Phillips is starting to eerily sound like Jason Witten on the practice field...same size and shape, but he's a little more nimble than Witten (i.e. he can move his hips, lol).

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Yet another example of an annoying habit:

Why do we have to dog one player and promote one player?

Why can't we say: Gee, it's awesome that we have 3 talented TEs, and which ever one we end up putting on the field, we'll have success! And our 3 TE set will be deadly!

No. Can't do that. Instead we have to play one against another and dog the other one which results in people taking favorites and wanting the competition gone. It's really disgusting behavior that has occurred too many times.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cobra;3473223 said:
Yet another example of an annoying habit:

Why do we have to dog one player and promote one player?

Why can't we say: Gee, it's awesome that we have 3 talented TEs, and which ever one we end up putting on the field, we'll have success! And our 3 TE set will be deadly!

No. Can't do that. Instead we have to play one against another and dog the other one which results in people taking favorites and wanting the competition gone. It's really disgusting behavior that has occurred too many times.

I agree. I have yet to understand the mindset. I like John Phillips and very happy to see him having the camp he is having and was happy with his play last season. That does not change my views of Bennett who I think if a very gifted athlete. In the end I expect we will keep 3 TE and all 3 producing makes me feel alot better about our sitation and depth at the TE spot.