Audio: Stephen Jones on GAC

CCBoy

Reaction score
fanatic, I haven't seen it on site as of yet. Good news that the Miles Austin contract should be accomplished by the end of season. I hope before additional pressures mount indicative of the oncoming clouds with the league's negotiations.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Austin will get his money, but I bet Dez Bryant becomes the number 1 WR in 2011. Bryant is Dallas' most talented WR and was heating it up with # 9 really fast. This is going to be interesting, because Roy Williams' ridiculous contract has turned up the heat on all the NFL teams wanting to pay their best WR.

Austin could get paid like a number one and not even turn out to be the # 1 WR in 2011.

A guy named Hostile, man he can get Hostile, said that he thought Bryant would be the number 1 WR by 2011, if I recall correctly.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
41gy#;3482476 said:
Austin will get his money, but I bet Dez Bryant becomes the number 1 WR in 2011. Bryant is Dallas' most talented WR and was heating it up with # 9 really fast. This is going to be interesting, because Roy Williams' ridiculous contract has turned up the heat on all the NFL teams wanting to pay their best WR.

Austin could get paid like a number one and not even turn out to be the # 1 WR in 2011.

A guy named Hostile, man he can get Hostile, said that he thought Bryant would be the number 1 WR by 2011, if I recall correctly.

I think Jason Garrett will be telling people next season that there is no #1 WR on the Cowboys because both Miles and Dez are so versatile they can scare defenses in many ways.

That's the problem with Roy. He's limited. Can't run certain routes and when he is starting it hinders what Garrett can do on his side of the field.

Miles and Dez can both take a quick slant to the house. Or they can run by you and use their size to battle for a pass deep down the field.

Roy isn't out running any defenses and while he's big he's also gangly and rarely out muscles defenders.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I loved the quote from Jerry (via Stephen) that Jerry got a note strongly encouraging him to buy the Rangers and JJ was really flattered until he got to the part where is said "so Stephen can run the Cowboys". :lmao2::lmao::lmao2:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
41gy#;3482476 said:

While I agree with you that Dez might quickly become good enough to be the best WR in Dallas, I don't really think it should matter when it comes to Austin's contract.

The question should be: Is Austin good enough for and does he deserve whatever contract he ends up with.

In other words... if Austin starts lighting up secondaries again and is playing like he did last year, then he's going to be worth a lot of money and he will deserve it, regardless of if we happen to be lucky enough to actually have somebody who is better than he is.

Austin's play last year was spectacular and if he continues that he will deserve to be highly paid, regardless of how well Dez does.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3482508 said:
I think Jason Garrett will be telling people next season that there is no #1 WR on the Cowboys because both Miles and Dez are so versatile they can scare defenses in many ways.

That's the problem with Roy. He's limited. Can't run certain routes and when he is starting it hinders what Garrett can do on his side of the field.

Miles and Dez can both take a quick slant to the house. Or they can run by you and use their size to battle for a pass deep down the field.

Roy isn't out running any defenses and while he's big he's also gangly and rarely out muscles defenders.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that at all. It makes sense.

It is going to be interesting, though. Bryant has given Dallas another ace to put in Garrett's hand. However, I do think Dez Bryant is the most talented player, between Austin and Bryant. I could see Bryant's exceptional athletic ability winning out and becoming the dominant role in the passing offense. Garrett runs his offense to get the ball into his best WRs hands. They both will get plenty of attention and action for sure.

It is a nice "problem" to have.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
AsthmaField;3482527 said:
While I agree with you that Dez might quickly become good enough to be the best WR in Dallas, I don't really think it should matter when it comes to Austin's contract.

The question should be: Is Austin good enough for and does he deserve whatever contract he ends up with.

In other words... if Austin starts lighting up secondaries again and is playing like he did last year, then he's going to be worth a lot of money and he will deserve it, regardless of if we happen to be lucky enough to actually have somebody who is better than he is.

Austin's play last year was spectacular and if he continues that he will deserve to be highly paid, regardless of how well Dez does.

I see what you mean, but if Austin gets number 1 WR money, Bryant could become the number 1 option in Garrett's passing game pretty soon. If that happens, Bryant, who I think has a clause in his contract to get more money or a new deal based on performance, is going to demand more than Austin.

I know Austin deserves to be paid, but by most accounts, Bryant was the best WR on the field in training camp.

I'm just saying you could be looking at this:

Williams got paid more than Andre Johnson but....

Austin > Williams

Austin gets a huge deal, but

Bryant > Austin

Bryant is going to demand more money in a year or two if he puts up big time numbers, so the money Austin gets matters in the salary cap, especially if he becomes the number 2 WR in 2011. If Austin is the number 2 WR in Garrett's offense, his numbers will go down. The money is awarded based on production or numbers. That is all I'm saying.

Dallas has Austin's contract coming up, but Bryant is the more talented player, imo.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
41gy#;3482538 said:
I see what you mean, but if Austin gets number 1 WR money, Bryant could become the number 1 option in Garrett's passing game pretty soon. If that happens, Bryant, who I think has a clause in his contract to get more money or a new deal based on performance, is going to demand more than Austin.

I know Austin deserves to be paid, but by most accounts, Bryant was the best WR on the field in training camp.

I'm just saying you could be looking at this:

Williams got paid more than Andre Johnson but....

Austin > Williams

Austin gets a huge deal, but

Bryant > Austin

Bryant is going to demand more money in a year or two if he puts up big time numbers, so the money Austin gets matters in the salary cap, especially if he becomes the number 2 WR in 2011. If Austin is the number 2 WR in Garrett's offense, his numbers will go down. The money is awarded based on production or numbers. That is all I'm saying.

Dallas has Austin's contract coming up, but Bryant is the more talented player, imo.

Bird in the hand is better then 2 in the bush, and right now Miles Austin is the pro-bowl reciever. And FWI, there are probably only the same incentives in Dez's deal that all rookie wr's get that are picked outside the top 10

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3482748 said:
Bird in the hand is better then 2 in the bush, and right now Miles Austin is the pro-bowl reciever. And FWI, there are probably only the same incentives in Dez's deal that all rookie wr's get that are picked outside the top 10

I get that, but that isn't a "bird in the bush", it's a Bald Eagle.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Bryant has an "one timer" incentive clause over $ 3 million dollars.

I remember listening to Jerry Jones on the radio talk about Dez and his contract, and if Dez Bryant out performs his rookie contract, I wouldn't be surprised to see the contract redone in 2-3 years. If Bryant goes off, that rookie contract will probably be torn up before the fourth year, imo.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField;3482527 said:

And then we can hear Jerry in the press conference talk about how women like Kim K smell fresh cash. :laugh2:

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I could see Mike Jenkins getting a new deal after this year if a collective bargaining agreement is reached.

I could see Anthony Spencer getting a new deal.

Jay Ratliff and Jason Witten could get new deals, too.

Jerry, Felix Jones is lurking. LOL

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
dcfanatic;3482508 said:

I can see Dez and Miles being like Fitzgerald and Boldin. We'll have a 1A and 1B.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I think you have to pay your best players and tailor your schemes to fit them. So Miles and Dez both get "paid like number ones." Open up the O and let Tony throw.