Australian Rules Football

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So, I've seen some games every now and then. I wouldn't normally be up this late, but I was particularly keen to watch this match between the Melbourne Demons and Sydney Swans. I'm only going to watch till halftime, but I'm enjoying this sport.

For those that don't know, it's a bit similar to rugby, but on an oval pitch with 4 posts on each side. All goals must be kicked over a line between the posts. If it's down the middle, it's 6 points. If it's kicked between the left or right posts, then it's 1 point. There's no padding. Quite hard hitting. Absolutely fun to watch imo. Strongly recommend it. I understand why it's as popular as it is in Australia. I'd say my favourite AFL side would be the Brisbane Lions, though I also like the North Melbourne Kangaroos.

csirl

Reaction score
Its quite popular in Ireland. Its closely related to gaelic football. From time to time they play International games between AFL and GAA allstar teams. Some players move back and forth between the countries playing GAA and AFL at different times in theur sporting careers.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Its quite popular in Ireland. Its closely related to gaelic football. From time to time they play International games between AFL and GAA allstar teams. Some players move back and forth between the countries playing GAA and AFL at different times in theur sporting careers.

Oooh, that would be quite fun to see. I can certainly see the similarities.