Average age of lineup on opening day

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'm bored but was thinking about this because one of my Deadskin friends brought up the "Cowboys are old" argument again:

Defense:

DE Canty- 23
NT Ferguson- 31
DE Spears- 23
OLB Ware- 24
ILB James- 25
ILB Ayodele- 26
OLB Carpenter- 23
CB Newman- 28
CB Henry- 29
FS Davis- 27
SS R Williams- 26

average age of projected 11 starters on opening day- 25.91

Offense:

QB Bledsoe- 34
RB J Jones- 25
WR Owens- 32
WR Glenn- 32
TE Witten- 24
TE Fasano- 22
LT Adams- 31
LG Kosier- 27
C Johnson- 27
RG Rivera- 34
RT Petitti- 24

average age of projected 11 starters on opening day- 28.37

I left Davis, Johnson & Petitti in as projected starters since they were the starters basically all of last yr...the only change I assumed would be made for sure is Carpenter at OLB, and he would have to be pretty mediocre not to win the starting job...Watkins or Coleman could be the FS, Gurode might be the C and Fabini could be the RT...Gurode is 1 yr older than Johnson, Fabini would be 8yrs older than Petitti, Watkins would be 4yrs younger than Davis, Coleman would be 5yrs older than Davis...if Fabini and Gurode replaced Petitti and Johnson our offense would increase in age to around 29

David

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I'm bored but was thinking about this because one of my Deadskin friends brought up the "Cowboys are old" argument again:

Defense:

DE Canty- 23
NT Ferguson- 31
DE Spears- 23
OLB Ware- 24
ILB James- 25
ILB Ayodele- 26
OLB Carpenter- 23
CB Newman- 28
CB Henry- 29
FS Davis- 27
SS R Williams- 26

average age of projected 11 starters on opening day- 25.91

Offense:

QB Bledsoe- 34
RB J Jones- 25
WR Owens- 32
WR Glenn- 32
TE Witten- 24
TE Fasano- 22
LT Adams- 31
LG Kosier- 27
C Johnson- 27
RG Rivera- 34
RT Petitti- 24

average age of projected 11 starters on opening day- 28.37

You are exactly right. The thing is, the Commander fans just look at the name players (Bledsoe, Owens, etc), and see that they're old, and just say that our players are old. That shows how much they know about our team. They just see the players on the highlight reel, or in Rivera/Adams' position, the injury list, look them up, look at their age, and think they know everything about the Dallas Cowboys.

Once again, Nice Find.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
There are the spots I am most concerned with age.

I'm not that concerned about Bledsoe's age, especially if the OL can block for him...he still throws it as well as just about anyone...Elway had arguable his best two seasons his last two yrs in the league, what was he, 37 or 38?...Staubach was the league's best QB his last yr in football, and he was in his late 30's as well

I'm also not that concerned about Adams, as 31 is definitely not old for an OL, especially one of his talent

the age of the WR's and Rivera do concern me though, especially given Rivera's injury problems last yr (back)

David

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Hope I'm not commandeering your thread, but I wanted to prove another point...

2005 Washington Commanders...

Offense
QB Mark Brunell Age 35
RB Clinton Portis Age 24
H-Back Chris Cooley Age 23
WR Santana Moss Age 26
WR James Thrash? Age 31
TE Robert Royal Age 26
LT Chris Samuels Age 28
LG Derrick Dockery Age 25
C Casey Rabach Age 28
RG Ray Brown Age 43
RT Jon Jansen Age 30

Average Age? the ripe old age of 29 (sorry to you older zoners..)

Defense
LDE Demetric Evans Age 26
LDT Cornelius Griffin Age 29
RDT Joe Salave'a Age 31
RDE Phillip Daniels Age 33
LOLB Marcus Washington Age 28
MLB Lemar Marshall Age 29
ROLB LaVar Arrington Age 27 (Washington fans, was he your starter last year?)
CB Carlos Rogers Age 24
CB Shawn Springs Age 31
SS Ryan Clark Age 26
FS Sean Taylor Age 23

Average age? 27.91 years...

Ok, let me get this straight...we're old, because, our offense has an average age of...28.37....when Washington's offense has an average age of...29..

And...we're also ancient, because our defense has an average age of...25.91...when Washington's offense has an average age of 27.91...

wow...we are old...

Once again David, sorry for commandeering this thread!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:

Offense
QB Mark Brunell Age 35
RB Clinton Portis Age 24
WR Santana Moss Age 26
WR James Thrash? Age 31
TE Robert Royal Age 26
LT Chris Samuels Age 28
C Casey Rabach Age 28
RG Ray Brown Age 43
RT Jon Jansen Age 30

Defense
RDT Joe Salave'a Age 31
CB Carlos Rogers Age 24
CB Shawn Springs Age 31
SS Ryan Clark Age 26
FS Sean Taylor Age 23

Ok, let me get this straight...we're old, because, our offense has an average age of...28.37....when Washington's offense has an average age of...29..

And...we're also ancient, because our defense has an average age of...25.91...when Washington's offense has an average age of 27.91...

wow...we are old...

nah thanks for the assist!

David

Eskimo

Reaction score
The only thing I'll say is that Petitti will have to convincingly beat out Fabini to take the RT spot next year and I just don't see that happening.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Eskimo said:
The only thing I'll say is that Petitti will have to convincingly beat out Fabini to take the RT spot next year and I just don't see that happening.

I disagree, if they are close I think Petitti will get the nod because of Fabini's versatility and ability to be a swingman.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
TO - even though he is 32, the guy doesnt play like he is. he definately plays a lot younger, so he is no concern to me agewise atleast.

Flo - i never knew 31 was old for a OT, hmmm thats weird . . .

TG - hes still producing and prolly has 2 or 3 more years left in him, hopefully more.

Riviera - scary at 34 with injuries . . .

bledsoe - hes 34 but has a good 2 years left in him and will probably be replaced before he hits 36.

so really Riviera is the only scary guy, IMO. TG is getting there and Flo has 4-5 years left.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:

Offense
QB Mark Brunell Age 35
RB Clinton Portis Age 24
WR Santana Moss Age 26
WR James Thrash? Age 31
TE Robert Royal Age 26
LT Chris Samuels Age 28
C Casey Rabach Age 28
RG Ray Brown Age 43
RT Jon Jansen Age 30

Defense
RDT Joe Salave'a Age 31
CB Carlos Rogers Age 24
CB Shawn Springs Age 31
SS Ryan Clark Age 26
FS Sean Taylor Age 23

wow...we are old...

Ray Brown retired this past offseason, and he only played when Randy Thomas was injured who is 30. That drops it to 27.8 average age. Factor in Brandon Lloyd for Thrash and it becomes even younger.

MossBurner

Reaction score
Here is a more accurate depiction of the Commanders lineup and their current ages:

OFFENSE
QB Brunell 35
RB Portis 24
WR Moss 26
WR Lloyd 24
TE Cooley 23
LT Samuels 28
LG Dockery 25
C Rabach 28
RG Thomas 29
RT Jansen 30

with FB Sellers 29, the average age is 27.4
with WR Randle El 26, the average age is 27.1
with FB Broughton 23, the average age is 26.8
if QB Campbell 24 starts, the average age drops to ~ 26.1

DEFENSE
DE Carter 26
DT Griffin 29
DT Salave'a 30
DE Daniels 32
OLB McIntosh 23
MLB Marshall 29
OLB Washington 28
CB Rogers 24
CB Springs 31
SS Archuleta 28
FS Taylor 23

This lineup's mean age is 27.5
with DT Montgomery 22 starting, the average age is 26.8

The Commanders' only old player on offense is Brunell - Campbell is the obvious replacement at that spot.

On defense, the Commanders carry age on the line. They drafted two DT this April. My guess is that the team will adress that further, as well as another CB, next offseason.

Eskimo

Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
I disagree, if they are close I think Petitti will get the nod because of Fabini's versatility and ability to be a swingman.

Parcells is usually pretty faithful to his old retreads from the Jets era which means it is Fabini's job to lose, IMO.

I do agree with you in principle though that if Pettiti is almost as good as Fabini then he should probably be the starter because he will improve significantly during the year and is more likely to stay upright. That way we also have Fabini to backup both of the OT spots.

burmafrd

Reaction score
POrtis turns 25 on Sept 1. Brunnel is 36 on Sept 17. Carter just turned 27. Salava is 31. Daniels is 33. Moss is 27. Lloyd will be 25 in July. I could go on- but even a skins fan will get the point. Alsmost all the ages YOU showed are low. So add a year to YOUR estimate and you are not as young as you claim. Besides, a fair number of these guys are just guys- not all that good.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Cowboys are older at more key positions overall on the offensive side of the ball. Without the potential depth (thus far proven).

As far as not that good ? Same could be said for any team. Results will come in a few months as to whom is not that good and better than expected. None of us really know.

burmafrd

Reaction score
And the skins are older on the D side of the ball. The only ones with age that matters is Rivera and Glenn. Bledsoe is a tough old son and Owens is always in great shape. Replacements need to be positioned in the next few years but that is a long time in THIS NFL. Getting young guys is not that hard on the line- you just have to keep working at it. There are a lot of good young WR's coming in the draft next year. The only real concern is getting a successor to Bledsoe- but its not like the skins have one either. Campbell has shown nothing more then Henson has.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
And the skins are older on the D side of the ball. The only ones with age that matters is Rivera and Glenn. Bledsoe is a tough old son and Owens is always in great shape. Replacements need to be positioned in the next few years but that is a long time in THIS NFL. Getting young guys is not that hard on the line- you just have to keep working at it. There are a lot of good young WR's coming in the draft next year. The only real concern is getting a successor to Bledsoe- but its not like the skins have one either. Campbell has shown nothing more then Henson has.

Adams and Owens didnt have injuries last season ?

Bledsoe is the last person I would be worried about as far as injury is concerned (he has been a tough SOB for a majority of his career).

RB position perhaps ? In my mind (unbalanced as it may be) the Cowboys really dont have a proven RB that can carry the expected load, and remain fairly injury free. On the other thread about RBBC I voted yes because of this.

As far as Campbell is concerned; he is the biggest question mark on the team. Obviously never taking a snap in a regular season NFL game should concern any fan. Brunell is tough but seems to get nagging injuries moreso than season ending.

The Commanders on D are probably a little older than Dallas on the defensive side of the ball (havent checked). They have some younger LBs and half of the secondary will be younger guys. The DL is a little older but that is a good thing IMO.

MossBurner

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
POrtis turns 25 on Sept 1. Brunnel is 36 on Sept 17. Carter just turned 27. Salava is 31. Daniels is 33. Moss is 27. Lloyd will be 25 in July. I could go on- but even a skins fan will get the point. Alsmost all the ages YOU showed are low. So add a year to YOUR estimate and you are not as young as you claim. Besides, a fair number of these guys are just guys- not all that good.

CP is 24, like I said
Brunell is 35, like I said
Moss is 26, like I said
Lloyd is 24, like I said

Carter turned 27 yesterday.

I goofed on Salave'a and Daniels by 2 months, sorry.

I messed up 2 guys' ages, not almost 22 like you say.