Average age of lineup on opening day

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MossBurner said:
The Commanders' only old player on offense is Brunell - Campbell is the obvious replacement at that spot.
That is 100% true. It's also something Cowboy fans are excited about. :D

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Bledsoe is the last person I would be worried about as far as injury is concerned (he has been a tough SOB for a majority of his career).

As far as Campbell is concerned; he is the biggest question mark on the team. Obviously never taking a snap in a regular season NFL game should concern any fan. Brunell is tough but seems to get nagging injuries moreso than season ending.

The Commanders on D are probably a little older than Dallas on the defensive side of the ball (havent checked). They have some younger LBs and half of the secondary will be younger guys. .

You make nice points about the QB position. I feel much more comfortable with bledsoe than i would with Brunell or a rookie. Bledsoe has never really been hurt, his one injury just came at a bad time.

Overall on offense i think it is better to be a tad older. This means guys have more experience and at positions like tackle you don't need to worry about rookie mistakes. Pass protection should be far better with vets than rookies as less blocking assignments will be missed. A 34 year old QB that can still make every throw id say is more valuable to a team competing for the SB than a guy who is only say 27 simply because of experience.

as for the bolded, i couldnt help but laugh...it was just very not telling. 6 of one half dozen of the other type thing. ik what you mean though

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
if QB Campbell 24 starts, the average age drops to ~ 26.1

with DT Montgomery 22 starting, the average age is 26.8

nice to see that you have 2 "if" starters in your lineup bringing down the average age

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Cowboys are older at more key positions overall on the offensive side of the ball.

just because we have veterans starting at key offensive positions is no reason to knock the O as being old, esp. at QB and WR, most times you NEED veterans manning those 2 positions, also on the Oline, esp. LT

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
just because we have veterans starting at key offensive positions is no reason to knock the O as being old, esp. at QB and WR, most times you NEED veterans manning those 2 positions, also on the Oline, esp. LT

haveing veterans at KEY starting offensive positions is one of the things i really like about BPs "team building." this is something that BP does very well, he surrounds young talent with experienced vets, making the youngns a lot more comfortable and providing a shoulder for young players who play those key positions to learn over.

dont rag on old vets at key positions because it seems to have worked a lot better than all the inexperienced QBs we had after aikman-bledsoe . . .

burmafrd

Reaction score
When they play the real games come september then they will be the age I mentioned. I know skins, being in Washington, always have to spin things and lie (I think it must be the climate or something like that) but it only makes you look worse then you do. (which is hard to imagine I admit).

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Both teams are essentially young with a few important exceptions here and there that shouldn't much matter this year and are few enough in number that they can be dealt with in the next offseason.

Both teams are in remarkably good shape, agewise. Dallas has some age mending to do on offense next year but our defense is very well situated for the future.

MossBurner

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
nice to see that you have 2 "if" starters in your lineup bringing down the average age

'if' is a conditional word; those are conditional statements.

The two 'if' statements also refer to the only potential starters that may be replaced by other guys (Brunell for Campbell & Salave'a for Montgomery). Right now, Brunell & Montgomery will probably start in September.

Is there a problem or are you just trying to be difficult with an objective post from a Commanders fan?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bobbie brewskie said:
haveing veterans at KEY starting offensive positions is one of the things i really like about BPs "team building." this is something that BP does very well, he surrounds young talent with experienced vets, making the youngns a lot more comfortable and providing a shoulder for young players who play those key positions to learn over.

dont rag on old vets at key positions because it seems to have worked a lot better than all the inexperienced QBs we had after aikman-bledsoe . . .

There is a difference between having "Vets" and "Geezers" at key offensive positions.

We are dangerously close to having the latter at a couple of positions...

I remember having 20-somethings at:

WR (Irvin)
WR (Harper)
RB (Emmitt)
FB (Johnston)
QB (Aikman)

I think they ended up being pretty good. ;)

baj1dallas

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I agree. But he is over 30, coming off an injury and no one behind him is proven.

How many teams have TWO proven left tackles on their roster?

Flozell is entering what should be the prime of his career. You have to expect him to bounce back.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sad fact is that NO one can have really high quality backups now- they cost too much.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
baj1dallas said:
How many teams have TWO proven left tackles on their roster?

Flozell is entering what should be the prime of his career. You have to expect him to bounce back.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a winner!

These folks that are "SCREAMING" for another "All-pro" LT to sit behind Adams better wake up... The salary cap and roster size limitations don't allow for such things.

And the fact is IF Adams went out my guess is Fabini would shift to LT and Petitti would go in at RT.

AND I would bet that this combination wouldn't be the train wreck we had last year after Adams was injured.

Keep your eye on Columbo too. He could be a keeper.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
The conclusion I draw from this thread is both of our squads have a nice mix of veterans in the line up along with young guys who may just be about to hit their prime

The Commanders adressed future issues at D-line by picking up 2 DT's, and drafted a young LB

Seeing how I paid no attention to the Cowboys draft, I won't attempt to comment. On the surface though, both teams have a nice mix

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
There is a difference between having "Vets" and "Geezers" at key offensive positions.

We are dangerously close to having the latter at a couple of positions...

I remember having 20-somethings at:

WR (Irvin)
WR (Harper)
RB (Emmitt)
FB (Johnston)
QB (Aikman)

I think they ended up being pretty good. ;)

ok and that set of guys was part of one of the best football teams of all time . . . 4 = hall of famers/future hall of famers.

i agree with you, we do have geezer man bledsoe, but the guy can still play and is tough, he has a good 2 years left and by then we will have his replacement ready to go, and it wont be henson or romo, ill tell you that.
but really the rest of our team isnt doing to bad, riviera is the only other guy who could be considered a geezer, but then the next oldest is TO and TG at 32 and TO plays like a 25 year old and TG plays like hes <30. then comes flo who is a olineman and has a good 4 years left in his tank . . .