Aw, DAYUM-- a wasted opportunity...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I'd been aware in the last few days that I was sneaking up on 10,000 posts, and although I'm not generally one to celebrate such "milestones", 10k is a large number, and I figured I'd celebrate by talking a little about what this board means to me... then I got involved in arguing with CanadianCowboyFan about the Sean Taylor tragedy, and post 10,000 went by without me noticing... this will be post 10,003 in my "body of work" in here...

So, in the spirit of belated birthday parties, post 10,003 will be my tribute to this board... I first found this board a little over 40 months ago, and right from the start I thought it was just about the best Cowboys board I'd ever found... I was no newbie to message boards at that time, I already had well over 20,000 posts to alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys, and was one of the ringleaders in there...

I had seen boards like the Cowboys' newsgroup that were quite free-wheeling, anything goes type of environments, and I had been to boards that were rigidly moderated (I was even a moderator on the most rigidly moderated for a time)... I did better on the less stringently moderated boards, LOL...

Finding this board put me in much the same frame of mind as Goldilocks eventually found herself in, this one was "just right" for me... I can get away with a lot, I think the mods like me... and when I do cross over the line, it's almost with a sense of regret that they issue me infractions, and NEVER without complete justification... I have been the "semi-official loose cannon" that I had put in my title, on many occasions, but have been treated both fairly and well by the powers that be in here (and for the record, I apologize once again for those times when I forced them to take actions against me)...

Beyond the general tone of the dialogue, I have made many, many friends in here... there are too many for me to mention any of them by name, I'd surely leave some of my friends out... right from the start, I was impressed with the number of posters this board had who could give us info we couldn't get anywhere else, from Dale working as an intern for DCW during training camp, to BrownSugar filling us in when she showed some potential new Cowboy the housing market in and around Valley Ranch, to AdamJT13's AMAZING grasp of the finances of the game...

I'm still a moderator at another, smaller board, but at the risk of sounding disloyal to that board, THIS is the best Cowboys board to be found on the internet, by far... it is well-run, the graphics are great, the mods and admins as good as it gets, the quality of information available as good as you'll find anywhere...

I'm particularly gratified to be able to write this at this point in time, in the wake of the wonderful gesture Reality made after Sean Taylor was murdered... I think I might have been as touched by that gesture as any Skins fan was, and was PROUD to be a part of this forum... I had nothing to do with that decision, indeed it would never have occurred to me to do something like that, but Reality made us all look good... he also showed us that he's one hell of a fine human being, and I think we all ought to take a second to thank him for what he did, indeed for all that he's done over the years...

Not to be too sappy as I wrap his up, but I love this board... I spend WAY too much of my time in here, but for some reason this board has more nightowls than any of the other boards, so I always seem to have somebody to talk to when I'm here at work in the wee small hours of the morning...

So thank you, Cowboys Zone... I only hope that at some point over my next 10,000 posts, I might actually SAY something... :D :D :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
aren't you supposed to be leaving certain posters *COUGH* me *COUGH* gifts of endearment when you reach 10,000 posts?

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1801249 said:
aren't you supposed to be leaving certain posters *COUGH* me *COUGH* gifts of endearment when you reach 10,000 posts?

Actually, I'd always heard it was the poster who got the gifts... but being a magnanimous ursine, I figure 37-27 is gift enough...

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
nicely put my friend...I like it here also...now can you tell me what happend to Phil yewdal and others we haven't seen or heard of in like 10 years

silverbear

Reaction score
Zaxor;1801296 said:
nicely put my friend...I like it here also...now can you tell me what happend to Phil yewdal and others we haven't seen or heard of in like 10 years

I don't have a clue, ol' buddy... I often wonder about him and guys like him... sure hope he's healthy and happy...

I've gotta admit, I miss the Cowboys' newsgroup, but my ISP dropped their newsreader, and posting through Google is just too freakin' annoying...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Well Bear....I can honestly say I've enjoyed everyone of those 10,000 post.
Keep them coming.

silverbear

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1803124 said:
10k? Amatuer :rolleyes:

As I've said all along, I'm convinced if there was just a way we could measure bandwidth used (wasted), I'm confident that I'd be in the top 2 or 3 posters in here... I mean, one of my draft or free agency analyses is as long as 10 "normal" posts for most people...

Think about it, you know I'm right...

silverbear

Reaction score
Cbz40;1803647 said:
Well Bear....I can honestly say I've enjoyed everyone of those 10,000 post.
Keep them coming.

If they haven't shut me up by now, I rather doubt they ever will... LOL...

I'm glad you enjoy must posts, and appreciate the compliment deeply... but this is supposed to be a thread where we celebrate this forum, not your friendly local Bear... I'd like it a lot if others offered their thoughts on why they frequent this board over all of the others out there...

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
silverbear;1804126 said:

I'm glad you enjoy must posts, and appreciate the compliment deeply... but this is supposed to be a thread where we celebrate this forum, not your friendly local Bear... I'd like it a lot if others offered their thoughts on why they frequent this board over all of the others out there...

1) It's by far the best Cowboys message board out there. I found it right after Parcells became coach, lurked for a while, finally posted, and then got hooked. Been here ever since.

2) I frequent a high school football board and a filmmaking board, but if you add all my posts from those two boards they're equivalent to only a days-worth of posts on this board. With all of the different forums on CZ, you can discuss just about any topic from sports to politics to uh... anything else (off-topic).

3) There are a few crazies, the occasional troll, crybabies, etc. but all in all there are some very diverse and very intelligent posters on this board. There are 100 different opinions on any topic, which forces me to think things through and reconsider my own position. I like that.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1804126 said:

only the best, deserves the best

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Didn't notice this thread before. Congrats. Keep it going for a lot more.

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;1808355 said:
Didn't notice this thread before. Congrats. Kepe it going for a lot more.

I'll try, but I think I might be running out of things to say...

Yeah, right... :D

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1808451 said:
I'll try, but I think I might be running out of things to say...

Yeah, right... :D

eh, I'm good enough for a stupid thread a month

no worries

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1808729 said:
eh, I'm good enough for a stupid thread a month

no worries

If it wasn't for stupid threads, my post count would be about 8...

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1809320 said:
same here

that's right, I have more than you:p: :D

If I ever posted to just one board, within a year I'd be the all-time champ of that board...

I've got over 30,000 posts to the Cowboys' newsgroup, 10k in here, over 13k on the Ranch Report, 3500 posts to Cowboys Central... 1000 posts to Cowboys Forum, a board I no longer frequent... and a few assorted posts to a few assorted, defunct boards some years ago... all in all, since about March of 1998, I have made close to 60,000 posts to assorted Cowboys boards, if not a little over 60k...

Which is precisely why I never get upset when some antagonist taunts me with the "you have no life" cliche; after all, it's TRUE... LOL...

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Congrats SB. You've posted many interesting and well written posts, some I didn't agree with but still were very intellectual.

So, here is to another 10k. :toast2:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Great Job Bear.

But I give the idiot Trolls that you love to maul most of the credit . ;)