B/R Ranking Every Defense 2024

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3. Dallas Cowboys

Why They're Ranked Here

The biggest question the Dallas Cowboys defense faces in 2024 is what the unit will look like without Dan Quinn. The elite defensive coordinator took the head coaching job at Washington and a few key players with him. However, there's still a strong case to make that they will once again be one of the best defenses in the league under new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Like Quinn, Zimmer is a well-credentialed coordinator with a penchant for building strong defenses. Micah Parsons remains one of the most electric talents in all of football and the Cowboys defense was able to remain elite despite losing Trevon Diggs for all but two games last season. DaRon Bland's emergence as a legit cover corner will help make up for the loss of Stefon Gilmore.

How They Can Improve

For the Cowboys to live up to this lofty billing they will have to develop some depth throughout the season. When Quinn left he took several depth pieces with him including Dante Fowler Jr. and Dorance Armstrong Jr. They also lost Neville Gallimore and Johnathan Hankins.

Drafting Marshawn Kneeland helps to negate those losses, but that's just one rookie. They will have to make sure that players like Sam Williams, Viliami Fehoko Jr. and Chauncey Golston are up to playing bigger roles.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ery-nfl-defense-after-the-2024-draft.amp.html

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The addition of LBs and safety are going to make this a potentially top 5 unit.
Questions?
Parsons adjusting to whatever Zim needs him to do.
Overall group attitude and willingness to play hard and put helmets on the ball in mass.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The addition of LBs and safety are going to make this a potentially top 5 unit.
Questions?
Parsons adjusting to whatever Zim needs him to do.
Overall group attitude and willingness to play hard and put helmets on the ball in mass.
Top 5 on skates. Will be pathetic against the run as always. We hear this rubbish every year. And the same weakness has remained for the last 10 years.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I expect this defense to be pretty good this year. I'm skeptical they are #3 in the league as there are a lot of really good defenses in the league right now, and it's refreshing to see imo. I think this unit is plenty good enough to be a top 10ish defense in the league though. My only true concern is the depth of this team. They have some guys down the depth chart who can play but they have a lot of one dimensional players. Lose a Parsons, even Kendricks, or Diggs isn't quite 100% and I think this unit could struggle.

This unit had 11 games last year where they gave up 20 or fewer points and were top 5 in points allowed. I know they played a lot of bad offenses last year but this is still the NFL and you don't accomplish that if you're not a talented defense though.

I'm expecting fewer big plays from this defense this year, but a scheme that should be more consistent week to week. Blowing out the Giants 40-0 is probably a thing of the past, but I imagine so are the blowout the other way. I'm skeptical we see a team like Buffalo run for 260+ again as long as the injury bug doesnt run through this team.

Creeper

Reaction score
The lost Fowler, Armstrong, Hankins and Gallimore on the DL. Gallimore is not much of a loss. But Armstrong and Fowler had 11.5 sacks, 12 TFLs, and 19 QB Hits. I like Kneeland, but he is not going to replicate those numbers. Maybe Sam Williams has a better year but he is as prone to do something stupid as he is to do something good.

At DT, we are hoping and praying that Mazi Smith emerges after a miserable year last year. And after surgery he will miss most of the off-season. At least Hankins gave them some bulk upfront to clog the middle of the DL. I think too much credit has been given to Zimmer when he doesn't have the talent he needs to make something of this defense. Plus they are very thin everywhere but Safety.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I expect this defense to be pretty good this year. I'm skeptical they are #3 in the league as there are a lot of really good defenses in the league right now, and it's refreshing to see imo. I think this unit is plenty good enough to be a top 10ish defense in the league though. My only true concern is the depth of this team. They have some guys down the depth chart who can play but they have a lot of one dimensional players. Lose a Parsons, even Kendricks, or Diggs isn't quite 100% and I think this unit could struggle.

This unit had 11 games last year where they gave up 20 or fewer points and were top 5 in points allowed. I know they played a lot of bad offenses last year but this is still the NFL and you don't accomplish that if you're not a talented defense though.

I'm expecting fewer big plays from this defense this year, but a scheme that should be more consistent week to week. Blowing out the Giants 40-0 is probably a thing of the past, but I imagine so are the blowout the other way. I'm skeptical we see a team like Buffalo run for 260+ again as long as the injury bug doesnt run through this team.
Good write-up, I'm pretty much where you're at.

They have a chance of being really good if everything falls into place, but I no longer get my hopes up with this team.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Gave up 50 points in a home playoff game and lost some players -- Sure #3 makes sense

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
3. Dallas Cowboys

Why They're Ranked Here

The biggest question the Dallas Cowboys defense faces in 2024 is what the unit will look like without Dan Quinn. The elite defensive coordinator took the head coaching job at Washington and a few key players with him. However, there's still a strong case to make that they will once again be one of the best defenses in the league under new defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Like Quinn, Zimmer is a well-credentialed coordinator with a penchant for building strong defenses. Micah Parsons remains one of the most electric talents in all of football and the Cowboys defense was able to remain elite despite losing Trevon Diggs for all but two games last season. DaRon Bland's emergence as a legit cover corner will help make up for the loss of Stefon Gilmore.

How They Can Improve

For the Cowboys to live up to this lofty billing they will have to develop some depth throughout the season. When Quinn left he took several depth pieces with him including Dante Fowler Jr. and Dorance Armstrong Jr. They also lost Neville Gallimore and Johnathan Hankins.

Drafting Marshawn Kneeland helps to negate those losses, but that's just one rookie. They will have to make sure that players like Sam Williams, Viliami Fehoko Jr. and Chauncey Golston are up to playing bigger roles.

https://syndication.bleacherreport....ery-nfl-defense-after-the-2024-draft.amp.html
Micah is 90 percent of why they were ranked #3

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Great attitude. Quinn got lazy and ran a stupid scheme against GB. I'm glad he is gone
It was dumb but we also just didn't have the personnel.

And we're like 1 or 2 injuries away from being in the same spot again.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was dumb but we also just didn't have the personnel.

And we're like 1 or 2 injuries away from being in the same spot again.
Most teams are...injuries happen....