Back from Big D (first post)

JethroPugh

Reaction score
Good evening folks. I've been lurking forever and have to finally come out and join the party after just returning from the great state of Texas.

Few background essentials about this NY-area Boys lifer:

- Became hooked watching Roger running around and always saving the day.

- Was very young, but I think the earliest memory is the heartache of 78 and Jackie Smith.

- When my third grade teacher saw me writing out the entire Boys roster on my school folder she informed me that her husband was the college roommate of Jethro Pugh! She later showed me Christmas cards signed by the Doomsday crew and Roger too!

- The most vivid and exciting early memory is Danny's heroic comeback against the Falcons in the 80 Divisional playoff on the road in Fulton County (3 TDs in the 4Q!).

- Remember crying like a baby after those three consecutive NFC Championship game losses.

- Have attended lots of their games at the Meadowlands and one at Foxboro.

- Have made the trip to Texas Stadium three times (86, 98, 08).

- This trip and the 98 one prove that I may be the luckiest guy in the world -- my wife put these trips together!

Texas Stadium this past weekend:

- I am pleased to report that to my ears it was much louder than my prior trips. Not exactly the Meadowlands, but the crowd did us Boys fans proud who are forever insecure about this issue.

- Also regarding fan spirit, it was amazing to see that many jerseys. Pretty sure the percentage of people wearing jerseys was higher than I've seen anywhere else.

- So great that you can take your kids there. I saw tons of kids having a great time. I wouldn't take my kids to the Meadowlands even if I was a Giants/Jets fan. You Dallas area folks are lucky! Also, it was 10x easier getting in and out of the parking lot than at other stadiums where I've attended games.

- Sorry I missed those tasty chips. Are they as good as they look?

The Game:

- Was right in front of that final stand. What a feeling!

- Best moment was seeing our backup punter totally plow that dude down. I extended my best vertical leap by a few inches when I jumped up in response to that hit. The whole bench seemed to get a real charge out of it too.

- Kind of odd, but would we have won this game without the new Roy Williams? Interesting to think about. Great moment for him.

- Not exactly news here, but the extra yardage that MB3 gets is really hard to believe and awesome to see with the naked eye. Where would we be without him?

- Congrats to our young DBs! (more on this right below)

Postgame (and best moment of the day):

- After surviving long merch lines, we're walking around the stadium to get to our car. In an area with no one around comes walking a freshly showered Campo and 2 others. I yell over "Great game coach!" and he looks me in the eye and throws back a hearty "THANK YOU!" with a head nod. What's cool is that he and his crew really were a major, if not THE major, story in this important victory. He looked really happy. And let's face it, the guy deserves it.

Traveling from NY-Dallas

- What a pleasure. Interesting that there was quite a large Boys contingent making the trip, most of whom were decked out in all their favorite silver and blue.

Thanks for reading and providing this invaluable forum!

JP

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
http://i185.***BLOCKED***/albums/x208/samck4/Cowboys/jethro-pugh.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Sweet screen name and solid 1st post, looking fwd to reading many more...:starspin

JethroPugh

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

CowboyFan74: That's my boy -- great shot, love it! May need to "borrow" that!

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
JethroPugh;2379479 said:
Thanks guys!

CowboyFan74: That's my boy -- great shot, love it! May need to "borrow" that!

Please do. Let me know if you need it sized down.:cool:

BadKarma

Reaction score
Welcome.

Just curious - was Brad Johnson as awful in person as he looked on TV? Did you notice how often he missed receivers and preferred checking down?

Thanks for posting.

Primetime42

Reaction score
JethroPugh;2379438 said:
Good evening folks. I've been lurking forever and have to finally come out and join the party after just returning from the great state of Texas.

- Was very young, but I think the earliest memory is the heartache of 78 and Jackie Smith.

- When my third grade teacher saw me writing out the entire Boys roster on my school folder she informed me that her husband was the college roommate of Jethro Pugh! She later showed me Christmas cards signed by the Doomsday crew and Roger too!

- The most vivid and exciting early memory is Danny's heroic comeback against the Falcons in the 80 Divisional playoff on the road in Fulton County (3 TDs in the 4Q!).

- Remember crying like a baby after those three consecutive NFC Championship game losses.

- This trip and the 98 one prove that I may be the luckiest guy in the world -- my wife put these trips together!

- I am pleased to report that to my ears it was much louder than my prior trips. Not exactly the Meadowlands, but the crowd did us Boys fans proud who are forever insecure about this issue.

- Also regarding fan spirit, it was amazing to see that many jerseys. Pretty sure the percentage of people wearing jerseys was higher than I've seen anywhere else.

- So great that you can take your kids there. I saw tons of kids having a great time. I wouldn't take my kids to the Meadowlands even if I was a Giants/Jets fan. You Dallas area folks are lucky! Also, it was 10x easier getting in and out of the parking lot than at other stadiums where I've attended games.

The Game:

- Best moment was seeing our backup punter totally plow that dude down. I extended my best vertical leap by a few inches when I jumped up in response to that hit. The whole bench seemed to get a real charge out of it too.

- Kind of odd, but would we have won this game without the new Roy Williams? Interesting to think about. Great moment for him.

- Not exactly news here, but the extra yardage that MB3 gets is really hard to believe and awesome to see with the naked eye. Where would we be without him?

- After surviving long merch lines, we're walking around the stadium to get to our car. In an area with no one around comes walking a freshly showered Campo and 2 others. I yell over "Great game coach!" and he looks me in the eye and throws back a hearty "THANK YOU!" with a head nod. What's cool is that he and his crew really were a major, if not THE major, story in this important victory. He looked really happy. And let's face it, the guy deserves it.

Traveling from NY-Dallas

- What a pleasure. Interesting that there was quite a large Boys contingent making the trip, most of whom were decked out in all their favorite silver and blue.

JP
I just came back to the area as well from my first trip to Dallas.

What a blast. Can't wait to do it again next year.

JethroPugh

Reaction score
BadKarma;2379678 said:
Welcome.

Just curious - was Brad Johnson as awful in person as he looked on TV? Did you notice how often he missed receivers and preferred checking down?

Thanks for posting.

Thanks BadKarma.

Brad did not look good throwing the ball downfield at all and the crowd let him know it each time. It was as bad as it looked. That said, he did not avert from the plan (for him) under pressure from the crowd and did not turn the ball over. Also, there were times I was surprised he was able to protect the ball under pressure. One time he had his arm swiped full-on from behind and miraculously managed to hold on, which is something I'd like our main stud to work on. Given how old and game-rusty he is, he's probably pretty content with getting the W for the team. I know I am for now.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Outstanding first post. You should try to post more often.

:Welcome: ....after all this time.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
JethroPugh;2379438 said:

The Game:

Traveling from NY-Dallas

JP

Thanks for joining the forum.
Also from Jersey - 163 - west 1 town over. ;)
Though a bit older than you - started in 63.

Nice comments.
Stay around and add to this place.