Back up QBs

Novacek84

Reaction score
Don't know about you guys but based on the league cuts there is a chance for Dallas to get rid of Weeden, who is awful. I'd rather take a shot with Cassel, Ponder, Flynn or even Josh Johnson or Austin Davis as backup QB to Romo. That's how bad I think Weeden is. My first choice would be Cassel. Thoughts on this?

Ken

Reaction score
I would feel a heck of a lot better with a guy like Davis on our team as a #3. Cassel would also be someone I would be interested in.

Dezizdaman

Benched
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think they like the thought that Weeden knows the system, but more importantly is cheap. I agree he is god awful but unfortunately I don't think that matters as much to them and they think Weeden could do a somewhat effective job for a week. If Romo gets hurt and is out for more than one week, we are screwed.

JPostSam

Reaction score
Unfortunately I think they like the thought that Weeden knows the system, but more importantly is cheap. I agree he is god awful but unfortunately I don't think that matters as much to them and they think Weeden could do a somewhat effective job for a week. If Romo gets hurt and is out for more than one week, we are screwed.

this. there's no steve beurlein among those names above. weeden knows the system and he knows his role. look for a developmental qb in next year's draft.

bodi

Reaction score
we have to keep Weeden this year

I pick up Davis who almost beat us last year

and next year I show Weeden the door an run with Davis as BU

Novacek84

Reaction score
I get the whole Weeden knows the system thing, but if he can't play it doesn't matter how educated he is in the system. I don't even want to see this guy fill in for Romo for a week or two. And yeah I know if Romo goes down long term it's likely over. But maybe with a guy like Cassel or Ponder or Flynn there is a glimmer of a chance, I don't see that with Weeden.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
I get the whole Weeden knows the system thing, but if he can't play it doesn't matter how educated he is in the system. I don't even want to see this guy fill in for Romo for a week or two. And yeah I know if Romo goes down long term it's likely over. But maybe with a guy like Cassel or Ponder or Flynn there is a glimmer of a chance, I don't see that with Weeden.

Weeden is slow-footed, stiff in the hips, has a slow release, and cannot throw on the run.
Otherwise, he's OK.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Bring in one of these guys and by the time Hardy and McClain come back, he will know the system good enough to use Weeden's spot for one of them.

JPostSam

Reaction score

those guys couldn't get a job because they stink, too.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Ponder knows system too. Would prefer Austin over Ponder however due to intangibles. But would take Tebow over both. Gotta go with the guy who has proved he can win, especially in the NFL.