CFZ Background Thoughts Through 4 Games

plymkr

Reaction score
I heard the ankle was fine. It just got stepped on and was sore from that. His knee was reported as "twisted" which usually means the kneecap got slightly dislocated. No big deal besides it hurts.

They rubbed some dirt on it, had him walk it off, and sent him back out there.
Cool, thanks

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Sam Williams has been a huge letdown, but Dante Fowler is picking up the slack.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Also, speaking of pass rushers, DLaw is still doing DLaw stuff.

Sacks are flashy, but big TFLs have a similar negative impact on the offense, and he just detonates run plays.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Here are some thoughts relative to the non superstar players through 4 games. There roles will become critical in a playoff run and are just as important as the superstars playing to their ceiling.

1. CJ Goodwin might be on his last leg. On punt returns, he seems to barely impact gunners and Turpin fair catches way too much.

2. This team is in LB purgatory. They play ‘ok’ with a few flashes and a few ‘what the heck was that?’ every game

3. Chuma is not a LT. Right now he’s my 3rd stringer behind Asim Richards. Don’t know why Asim isn’t getting a chance.

4. Deuce seems to always be running in obvious run down situations or someone is always getting contacted in the backfield. I’d really love a screen or a Texas route or something to get him in space

5. Aubrey is amazing and I truly believed he was going to make a 66 yarder today. I have no clue why the Cowboys didn’t call a timeout after the Patriots weak first down attempt.

6. Bones Fassel is the most underrated contributor on this team. Dudes always looking for an angle, and is excellent at his job.

7. Tolbert is legit. I’m a believer now, and I think his absolute lowest floor is a steady contributor as a rockstar 4th receiver. I think he can grow into a 2nd or 3rd easily. Turpin is also needing to be a more regular part of the O

8. Gholston seems to be getting lots of snaps out there on impact plays. Glad to see him taking that step. I wish I knew where Fehoko was in his development.
Lol. Is there such a thing as a rock star fourth wide receiver? Even the Posse from the Skins only had three star wideouts.

visionary

Reaction score
Deuce should be let go

Niners will run all over us unless Micah is at L

Dak and Mccarthy need to be able to score in the red zone

Hopefully our full OL playing will help next week

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Here are some thoughts relative to the non superstar players through 4 games. There roles will become critical in a playoff run and are just as important as the superstars playing to their ceiling.

1. CJ Goodwin might be on his last leg. On punt returns, he seems to barely impact gunners and Turpin fair catches way too much.

2. This team is in LB purgatory. They play ‘ok’ with a few flashes and a few ‘what the heck was that?’ every game

3. Chuma is not a LT. Right now he’s my 3rd stringer behind Asim Richards. Don’t know why Asim isn’t getting a chance.

4. Deuce seems to always be running in obvious run down situations or someone is always getting contacted in the backfield. I’d really love a screen or a Texas route or something to get him in space

5. Aubrey is amazing and I truly believed he was going to make a 66 yarder today. I have no clue why the Cowboys didn’t call a timeout after the Patriots weak first down attempt.

6. Bones Fassel is the most underrated contributor on this team. Dudes always looking for an angle, and is excellent at his job.

7. Tolbert is legit. I’m a believer now, and I think his absolute lowest floor is a steady contributor as a rockstar 4th receiver. I think he can grow into a 2nd or 3rd easily. Turpin is also needing to be a more regular part of the O

8. Gholston seems to be getting lots of snaps out there on impact plays. Glad to see him taking that step. I wish I knew where Fehoko was in his development.
Excellent list. 3 blowouts and 1 no-show. Hard to figure what this team is really from that.
The Giants game was a nice surprise. I thought they were being overrated and not a fan of their QB. I did expect a W, but didn't expect that though - reminded me of some games with Jimmy's teams in the 90s.
The Jets game I was worried about with Rodgers, without him - not. Figured their defense would keep it closer, but theres a reason Wilson got replaced as the starter this year.
Didn't get to see the Cardinals game, but going by you all on here they clearly just didn't show up to play. Not sure why.
The Pats game though shocked me. I was expecting a dogfight going against Belichick. Wow, did Jones look terrible.
Looking forward to Sunday Night. Not as confident as I was after the Jets game, but feeling a little better after yesterdays win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
My opinion is going to be extremely unpopular.

I love a good story as much as the next person but the coaches have an obligation to build the best team they can based on ability. Most marginal young players are going to be given their shot but they will have a short window to prove they earned it.

So far Deuce has carried the ball 17 times for 33 yards. If you take away the 13 yard gain that would leave 16 carries for 20 yards.

......16 carries for 20 yards...........

Right now it's difficult to convince most fans that there is some favoritism going on here. Does anyone want to try and convince me that Malik Davis wouldn't get more with 17 carries?

Why is Deuce still on the active roster? I've seen nothing dynamic about his level of play.

I realize he is a fan favorite, and some might want to defend him like some kid brother. I understand that but please don't shoot the messenger and keep your insults clean.
Deuce will establish his value as a slot receiver who can be motioned to tailback.
Or not at all.
Doesn't look like they prepared him for that this year.
Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the PS this year. But wouldn't give up on his career either.
He looks like a very smooth receiver in real routes. Good hands. Incredible quickness.
We just have to make use of what he is, instead of treating him like a standard RB, which he is not.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

I love a good story as much as the next person but the coaches have an obligation to build the best team they can based on ability. Most marginal young players are going to be given their shot but they will have a short window to prove they earned it.

So far Deuce has carried the ball 17 times for 33 yards. If you take away the 13 yard gain that would leave 16 carries for 20 yards.

Right now it's difficult to convince most fans that there is some favoritism going on here. Does anyone want to try and convince me that Malik Davis wouldn't get more with 17 carries?

Why is Deuce still on the active roster? I've seen nothing dynamic about his level of play.

I realize he is a fan favorite, and some might want to defend him like some kid brother. I understand that but please don't shoot the messenger and keep your insults clean.
Deuce would be on the active roster over Malik Davis just for being a recent draft pick. Every draft pick made the roster. I personally think Deuce is better than Davis but it doesn’t really matter cause the 3rd back isn’t changing the Cowboys season in a meaningful way either way. Dowdle earned the back up job and has been doing a solid job. I’ve been more concerned about the need for a power back but hopefully they use Leupke in that role more.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Micah did nothing this game (here comes the bashing) lol
I think he had nine QB pressures. That isn't nothing.
How many tackles did Micah make?. Im convinced he should be MLBing especially on 1st down. As for pass-rushing, just his presence creates gaps for others.....in my opinion pass-rushers should work as a group.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score

To be fair to Deuce, most of his involvement yesterday was mop up duty behind o-line back ups. That said, I wasn't impressed either and equally don't get why Malik Davis hasn't been afforded more of a chance, he looked good at the back end of last season.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak did not look great. It’s pretty evident by now that MM does not trust Dak to go deep. as shown by the constant sideline throws and gadget plays.

Also Daks constant “hERE wEee gOoOo” is very cringe. He needs to mix up different cadences to confuse the defense.
Did you not notice Rush doing the 'here we go' thing also. I guess it's coached.