Backup Offensive Lineman on the roster

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Hoffman, Bass, Richards, Waletzko, what are your thoughts on these guys heading into the draft. Which player is most ready to step in and be a starter. There may be more than 1. With how cheap the Jones men are, our offensive line may already be here! What are your thoughts on these young backup OL guys???

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Bass and will be confident with him manning the LG position. I've heard about Hoffman at center, but I'm not familiar with his ability to start there.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I like Bass and will be confident with him manning the LG position. I've heard about Hoffman at center, but I'm not familiar with his ability to start there.
we've got a lot to see from these guys, if they're confident in staying with these guys, save OL for later in the draft

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we've got a lot to see from these guys, if they're confident in staying with these guys, save OL for later in the draft
I'm not sure I'm that confident. I'd love to draft Jackson Powers-Johnson, center with the first pick, then concentrate on the defense with the next two picks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they draft an OL, and let the others compete for the other spot.
They do not need to draft one in the 1st round though, unless absolutely BPA.

starfan1

Reaction score
Hoffman, Bass, Richards, Waletzko, what are your thoughts on these guys heading into the draft. Which player is most ready to step in and be a starter. There may be more than 1. With how cheap the Jones men are, our offensive line may already be here! What are your thoughts on these young backup OL guys???
Hoffman and Bass I’ll give the thumbs up from last year as backups , Richards I’m still unsure about but waletzko has had chances and I haven’t been impressed plus he’s been banged up

Give me Barton or JPJ first round but if mims gets to 24 which I doubt he’ll be a cowboy I bet.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And JPJ would be just that, imho, although I doubt he lasts that long.

Last edited:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
That's been my thoughts for the last few days, it seems they may be content with letting their depth battle it out, so why really waste a OL in the first round? There's so much depth in this years draft

Creeper

Reaction score
I think Bass and Hoffman both proved they can play when they got the opportunity last season. I think we will see Bass at RG when Martin is gone. I think we may see Hoffman at C this season.

I have no faith in Waletzko or Ball. Both seem to be on IR more than they are on the field. I think Asim Richards has potential. I am looking forward to seeing him in preseason this year to see how much he progressed. For him, the problem may be getting playing time at LT is the Cowboys draft a LT next week.

One question I have is can Richards push for the starting RT job is Terence Steele does not return to his 2022 form?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I think Bass and Hoffman both proved they can play when they got the opportunity last season. I think we will see Bass at RG when Martin is gone. I think we may see Hoffman at C this season.

I have no faith in Waletzko or Ball. Both seem to be on IR more than they are on the field. I think Asim Richards has potential. I am looking forward to seeing him in preseason this year to see how much he progressed. For him, the problem may be getting playing time at LT is the Cowboys draft a LT next week.

One question I have is can Richards push for the starting RT job is Terence Steele does not return to his 2022 form?
does his contract allow for them to have competition

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He mostly flew under the radar, but I kinda liked Richards. Passed an eyeball test for me.

In his limited snaps, PFF had Richards 10 points higher than Ball and Hoffman. I'll take it. I wonder if they let him compete at LG (I expect Tyler to move to LT).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He mostly flew under the radar, but I kinda liked Richards. Passed an eyeball test for me.

In his limited snaps, PFF had Richards 10 points higher than Ball and Hoffman. I'll take it. I wonder if they let him compete at LG (I expect Tyler to move to LT).
I feel like tyler's been good at guard why not just leave him there, get your new left tackle for the next 4+ years

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Just a random comment: The more I look at the roster and the more I think about the TFred years, the more I think C in the first round is the play.
Tyler / Bass / Elite C / Martin / Steele

Isn't so bad. I would be giving Richards and Waletzko an opportunity to unseat Steele too.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Just a random comment: The more I look at the roster and the more I think about the TFred years, the more I think C in the first round is the play.
Tyler / Bass / Elite C / Martin / Steele

Isn't so bad. I would be giving Richards and Waletzko an opportunity to unseat Steele too.
you think so even though they just resigned him??? If anyone beat out chuma

Rayman70

Reaction score
front office loves Hoffman and Bass, Richards. Don't be shocked if we don't draft a tackle early.

Rayman70

Reaction score

They view him as Steele I think. A guy that can start at LT with some coaching. They might think hes the answer at LT.