Backup QB. Gardner Minshew?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Looks like they are gonna look at guys in camp before deciding
Obviously other teams are doing the same if minshew is still available
Exactly Ihave not read anything about it..is he looking for a trade.

He maybe willing to backup this year and split next year. His contract being an issue I have not heard. Maybe others have.

erod

Reaction score
Seven teams in seven years and one NFL start. I've never seen a guy get so much love out of one career start, and he lost the game.
Name the really good backups in the NFL. They're virtually accidental unless you just drafted them high.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Exactly Ihave not read anything about it..is he looking for a trade.

He maybe willing to backup this year and split next year. His contract being an issue I have not heard. Maybe others have.

The Jags are in a good position moneywise.
With 4 QBs Lawrence, Minshew, Beathard, and Luton on their roster their cap hit for the position this year is .$4.492M.

If they only keep 3, one starter, one backup, and one developmental guy somebody has to go.
Its a given that Lawrence is the starter.
C.J. Beathard is projected to be the backup since the Jags signed him to a $2.1M from the 49ers.

That leaves Minshew and Luton.
Minshew won't clear waivers. His 62.9% completion, 37TDs, 11 picks, and 95.9 rating is going to catch some eyes.
And he doesn't qualify for the practice squad.

Meyers could ship Luton on the practice squad and keep Minshew as #3, which probably means losing him after 2022.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The Jags are in a good position moneywise.
With 4 QBs Lawrence, Minshew, Beathard, and Luton on their roster their cap hit for the position this year is .$4.492M.

If they only keep 3, one starter, one backup, and one developmental guy somebody has to go.
Its a given that Lawrence is the starter.
C.J. Beathard is projected to be the backup since the Jags signed him to a $2.1M from the 49ers.

That leaves Minshew and Luton.
Minshew won't clear waivers. His 62.9% completion, 37TDs, 11 picks, and 95.9 rating is going to catch some eyes.
And he doesn't qualify for the practice squad.

Meyers could ship Luton on the practice squad and keep Minshew as #3, which probably means losing him after 2022.
I see. So he does not need to make a bunch of noise..its sort of going to work it's way out.

I thank you for your answer. I just had no background on it. I say look at him. I have seen him play a few times. He has skills. It matters little to me
.if Dak goes down so do we.

jnday

Reaction score
I think Gilbert played well against the Steelers and he almost got the win with backups protecting him. I would roll with Gilbert.
I think a lot of fans have bought into the ideal of Gilbert being a decent backup QB. He has been on several different teams and has had many opportunities to solidify his standing as a good backup QB, but he has failed to do it time after time. That one game was probably his career highlight that will never be duplicated again in Dallas or elsewhere. If he could consistently play like he played during that game, he would have been able to stay with one team. I guess you could say that if the starter goes down, the season is over anyway, so why worry about paying a decent backup? Unlike most fans, I don’t think that DiNucci is a lost cause at this point because of one game as a rookie. He has no OTAs, no training camp, no preseason and he probably didn’t take over a handful of snaps before being asked to start in a game against a division rival. He may never pan out, but to judge the kid on that one game is ludicrous considering the circumstances. They knew that he was a longshot that needed a lot of time to develop when they drafted him.