Backup QB?

quickccc

Reaction score
For some reason we've had a history of having capable backups - Beuerlein, Kosar, Testaverde, Weeden, and Dalton.

I don't see Jerry going with a scrub.

yet haven't we done it before with Cooper Rush and Kellen Moore ?? ….… :facepalm:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Unless Cowboys coaches are satisfied with what they saw in Gale Gilbert vs Pittsburgh. ...I would think Alex Smith would be the best bet signing...
..vast veteran NFL QB experience, bus-driver type who conservatively manages the game, won't make killer turnover mistakes, .
Although he's Not one that pushes the ball downfield vertically (which is a Kellen Moore staple) ..and our coaches are/have been stressing to get the ball out of throwing hand quickly instead of
holding onto the ball in the pocket- and Not taking too many unnecessary sacks in this way. (which Alex does still do)
And he's not reliably mobile as he used to be.

I believe McCarthy maybe familiar with Alex ..they of course, would have to go due diligence
and thoroughly check out his current health issues. Does he have any lingering issues ? That also has to be addressed and checked out.

I had these following guys on my vet backup QB list....
1) Garrett Gilbert
2) Alex Smith
3) and Colt McCoy.... and I'm not a fan of Robert Griffin III

I had Dinucci on my 3rd QB, or practice squad depending upon what transpires in OTAs, and camp and maybe if available this year Preseason games.

The first 3 you mentioned, I could go for but Dunucci was a McCarthy abortion to me. Maybe he'll improve to some extent but there's more than a long way to go. Sorry but I was with you 'til Dunicci. I guess we all have our "druthers," though. The first 3 were real possibilities, imho. ;)

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
The first 3 you mentioned, I could go for but Dunucci was a McCarthy abortion to me. Maybe he'll improve to some extent but there's more than a long way to go. Sorry but I was with you 'til Dunicci. I guess we all have our "druthers," though. The first 3 were real possibilities, imho. ;)

I get the feeling that Ben DiNucci will vastly improve over given time with further coaching up, camp reps and preseason game experience.
He was extremely raw coming into the NFL, and the fact that they even chanced him vs Philly lets us know how much they think of his ability
and potential. He flat just was not ready for the NFL yet. He has much about his mental mechanics he has to work on and he was overwhelmed by
the speed and competition of the NFL.. But I don't get the feeling that he is Mike White 2.0.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Ben DiNucci will vastly improve over given time with further coaching up, camp reps and preseason game experience.
He was extremely raw coming into the NFL, and the fact that they even chanced him vs Philly lets us know how much they think of his ability
and potential. He flat just was not ready for the NFL yet. He has much about his mental mechanics he has to work on and he was overwhelmed by
the speed and competition of the NFL.. But I don't get the feeling that he is Mike White 2.0.

Uh-huh -- if he just reaches the level of Mike White, I feel that'll constitute a vast improvement. That's how far he has to go, imho. o_O

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
With the two hundred and thirty-eight pick in the 2021 NFL draft...the Cowboys select quarterback from Kent State, Dustin Crum.

Motorola

Reaction score
There are a bunch of guys out there, I'm sure they'll sign another vet.

I like Tyrod Taylor, of the group, but AJ McCarron and Alex Smith should probably be able to do the same things Dalton did last year. Brett Hundley is out there too, and he was a McCarthy draft pick.
Tyrod Taylor signed with Texans.
I'd roll with Alex Smith.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I liked what I saw from Gilbert as he had poise. But they didn’t blink to put Dalton back in after concussion and Covid making me think they didn’t like him that much.
They have a depth chart to follow. Once Dalton was recovered from concussion and Covid, he was the highest guy on the chart despite Gilbert having a good game the previous week against the Steelers. Dalton back in had nothing to with not liking Gilbert. They liked Gilbert, Dalton was just ready to return finally the following week.

This season with Dak back, I think the backup QB job is all Gilbert's. He proved he can do it when he almost beat the then-undefeated Steelers last season.

Jay777

Reaction score
I've always liked Alex Smith. He hasn't gotten the respect he deserved. The 69ers should've never dumped him in favor of Kaepernick. He showed total class when Mahomes was drafted with the Chiefs. He would bring some great leadership skills.

My biggest concern with him is the number of surgeries he had to recover from his horrific injury. How healthy is he? I'm afraid that he might be lost to injury too easily.

Motorola

Reaction score
Not a bad idea but our FO honors those who require little in salary. I question if Alex Smith fits that mold. ;)
Just looked at Smith's stats\ bio - forgot he was a stellar QB at Utah when Urban Meyer was coach. To me, Smith would be the idea backup for the new Jaquars HC -- a decade and a half NFL career during which he battled back from two serious injuries; where he led two different franchises to the playoffs before being jettisoned for younger, more talented QBs twice (Kaepernick, Mahomes). Ideal mentor for incoming rookie Lawrence, along with helping ease the transition of the neophyte coach into pro football IMO
I wonder if Meyer has reached out to Smith. Alex may still believe he's a starter-quality QB in the NFL....or Smith wants a lucrative last contract for carrying the clipboard- tablet a couple of seasons before hanging up his cleats.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I know there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago but I’m curious who Mike wants for backup? We are now into FA week two and not many guys are available.

Normally it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but with Dak’s injury and possibly not even being able to throw in the Spring, we need someone with experience.

none of the backup QBs on the roster will save our season if Dak can’t play.

Shane612

Reaction score
If Dak goes down I want someone capable of losing every game for us.

I don’t want a situation where the drop off is minimal with a team like this. We need to be awful if we aren’t a legit playoff team.
:laugh::lmao2::lmao:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I know there was a thread about this a couple of weeks ago but I’m curious who Mike wants for backup? We are now into FA week two and not many guys are available.

Normally it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but with Dak’s injury and possibly not even being able to throw in the Spring, we need someone with experience.
Roll with Gilbert
Decent and priced right.