Bad Calls and NFL Ad Revenue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
This is absolutely dead on. The NFL is a business and IMO the refs are there to represent the intere$t$ of the league.

Pay close attention to flags that are called versus those that should be called, but aren’t. The rules are vaguely written to allow the league to shift the competitive balance of a game as they see fit. Most games are won/lost within one score, so a simple call here, missed call there goes a long way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly. These conspiracies theories don’t hold water. Ad revenues? Seriously? They’re going to jeopardize an entire sport and billions upon billions of dollars for ad revenues?

Uh, no. They’re bad calls, but the result of incompetence, not some dastardly plan.

I agree, hell they would cost them a lot of money long term. I played a lot of football growing up and I can't remember a single game where we did not feel there was bad calls. I think the league competition committee has made the refs job much harder with so many judgement call type rules. these player do not play in slow motion and things happen in a blink of an eye and they are often not in the greatest position to see the play, refs will just miss calls.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This is absolutely dead on. The NFL is a business and IMO the refs are there to represent the intere$t$ of the league.

Pay close attention to flags that are called versus those that should be called, but aren’t. The rules are vaguely written to allow the league to shift the competitive balance of a game as they see fit. Most games are won/lost within one score, so a simple call here, missed call there goes a long way.

Could have used a few in the colts game, I guess they did not need the extra revenue from that game?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I will just say if it was ever proven that these calls are on purpose to fix a game, then I would stop watching the NFL all together. I agree that there are bad calls and questionable calls in every game but I do not think the refs really care about the outcomes of any game.

They aren’t fixing games, at least not the outcome of games. They are however manipulating the games to keep them close. The most likely reason is to recover the declining ratings before the next tv contract is negotiated. Bad officiating cannot explain some of the calls we have seen. The delay call on Tank can not be explained by anything Other than it was 4th and 1 and they were not going to call something that stopped Tampa’s drive. When Dallas goes up by two scores, the fans of other teams stop watching. As long as its close they keep watching hoping Dallas will lose. The league has figured this out and the refs are doing what is best for the league by keeping games close. It’s happening all over, not just in Dallas.

Kaiser

Reaction score
They’re going to jeopardize an entire sport and billions upon billions of dollars for ad revenues?

If you read the post, the billions and billions of dollars coming into the NFL were 40% from Ad Revenue.

And what are they jeopardizing? Who wants to prove this and who would have a reason to?

And in terms of pro sports putting a thumb on the scale, do you really think that Major League Baseball was shocked, shocked to find out players were using PEDs? When Barry Bonds had grown 50 pounds and two hat sizes in his thirties?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree, hell they would a lot of money long term. I played a lot of football growing up and I can't remember a single game where we did not feel there was bad calls. I think the league competition committee has made the refs job much harder with so many judgement call type rules. these player do not play in slow motion and things happen in a blink of an eye and they are often not in the greatest position to see the play, refs will just miss calls.

And now there’s actually stuff on record where the league is pushing the refs for calls. People can look up where the league told the refs to call more holding penalties. And guess what? That’s just what they did. That’s not some brilliant scheme, it’s self-inflicted stupidity.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They aren’t fixing games, at least not the outcome of games. They are however manipulating the games to keep them close. The most likely reason is to recover the declining ratings before the next tv contract is negotiated. Bad officiating cannot explain some of the calls we have seen. The delay call on Tank can not be explained by anything Other than it was 4th and 1 and they were not going to call something that stopped Tampa’s drive. When Dallas goes up by two scores, the fans of other teams stop watching. As long as its close they keep watching hoping Dallas will lose. The league has figured this out and the refs are doing what is best for the league by keeping games close. It’s happening all over, not just in Dallas.

That is your view I don't buy it. Did they keep the Colts game close?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Here's the percentage of games that went into the half with an 8-point margin or less. It's been steady since the merger.

2010-18 78.3%
2000-09 78.8%
1990-99 78.9%
1980-89 78.7%
1970-79 78.8%
1960-69 77.4%
1950-59 77.3%
1940-49 76.9%

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you read the post, the billions and billions of dollars coming into the NFL were 40% from Ad Revenue.

And what are they jeopardizing? Who wants to prove this and who would have a reason to?

And in terms of pro sports putting a thumb on the scale, do you really think that Major League Baseball was shocked, shocked to find out players were using PEDs? When Barry Bonds had grown 50 pounds and two hat sizes in his thirties?

They’re jeopardizing the integrity of an entire sport. If it ever got out from anybody that they were influencing the outcome as you claim, the sport is finished. That’s why it would never happen. Too much to be lost and so little to gain.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And now there’s actually stuff on record where the league is pushing the refs for calls. People can look up where the league told the refs to call more holding penalties. And guess what? That’s just what they did. That’s not some brilliant scheme, it’s self-inflicted stupidity.

I agree and they will change the emphasis on something else next season. If I had one big argument with the league it is the constantly changing of the rules. I don't need the league to put in rules that may lead to more scoring or over protection of any player. I watch football and will enjoy a defensive battle just as much as an offensive shootout

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Exactly. These conspiracies theories don’t hold water. Ad revenues? Seriously? They’re going to jeopardize an entire sport and billions upon billions of dollars for ad revenues?

Uh, no. They’re bad calls, but the result of incompetence, not some dastardly plan.
There are just too many people who would blow the whistle on something like this, for the money and the fame.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If you read the OP this did happen in the Colts game, in our favor.

Evidently not enough to keep the game close and the ratings up. Sorry not buying into the refs calling games to keep advertisers happy.

visionary

Reaction score
Since this is the "conspiracy theory " thread, here is one for you

NFL pays Jerry to keep Garrett as HC so cowboys can remain dysfunctional and mediocre

Kaiser

Reaction score
Evidently not enough to keep the game close and the ratings up. Sorry not buying into the refs calling games to keep advertisers happy.

Read the OP. The Colts game was 10 points at the half instead of 17.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Since this is the "conspiracy theory " thread, here is one for you

NFL pays Jerry to keep Garrett as HC so cowboys can remain dysfunctional and mediocre
Actually, the "Conspiracy Theories" thread is in the Off Topic Zone.....so this one must be legit!

Kaiser

Reaction score
They’re jeopardizing the integrity of an entire sport. If it ever got out from anybody that they were influencing the outcome as you claim, the sport is finished. That’s why it would never happen. Too much to be lost and so little to gain.

Yup, the NFL is pretty much a Buddhist Monastary. They would never get a video tape of Ray Rice cold cocking his wife and then dragging her unconcious out of an elevator and then "lose the tape" before giving him the minimum suspension.

They would never have their own security guys pull Giants PK Josh Brown off of beating his wife and never mention it.

They would never minimize CTE injuries until they lost their shirt in a lawsuit.

Sure, the NFL is run by the highest ethical standards with the efficiency of a swiss watch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Read the OP. The Colts game was 10 points at the half instead of 17.

I'm sorry I do not buy into this garbage that refs are altering games for any reason. How others feel that is their right. Hell some believe man never landed on the moon, each to their own. As I said if it was proven they would lose fans, I sure as hell would not watch a product that was fixed.

Kaiser

Reaction score
There are just too many people who would blow the whistle on something like this, for the money and the fame.

MLB Steroids was a much bigger scandal and made a lot more money for that sport. Who blew the whistle on that from inside the sport?

I'll give you the answer - it came from outside the sport and mostly because they were violating US law.

Status
Not open for further replies.