Bad contracts we should just bite the bullet on

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
This team went through a period where they signed guys to huge contracts at the first sign of success. Tyrone Crawford I am talking about you. Scandrick too.

There are several players I would take some dead money on to get out from under their contracts.

Here is a list.

Romo - This is an interesting situation. If we trade him then he will count 19 mil against the cap and only save us 5 mil. IF we make him a post June 1st cut then he only costs 10.7 mil and we save 14 mil. That means if we trade him we better get a significant haul otherwise we are better off cutting him.

Tyrone Crawford - If we cut him post June 1st then he costs us 3.1 mil and we save 7.25 mil against the cap. What a horrible contract. I see no reason to prolong this another year. The guy does nothing.

Doug Free - Long considered the weak link in the line is the 8th highest paid player on the team and if Romo and Crawford are gone he will be the 6th highest paid player. Cutting him would save 5 mil towards the cap. Yes I know he has to be replaced and that would cost us via FA or using up a premium draft pick. I think it needs to be done. If we can resign Leary then I would like to see Collins battle Chaz Greene for RT.

Orlando Scandrick is one of the higher paid players on the team and overpaid in my estimation but with so many questions in the defensive backfield I think we are stuck with him.

Cedric Thornton is overpaid but they just signed him so he will likely be sticking around. I thought he was average at best when they signed him but he was our big FA signing last year so I guess we are stuck with him.

Hanna could be cut and save some money so it will be interesting to see whether or not he is 100% going into next year. He represents a need and flashed early in his career but has really been a non factor recently. This should be one to watch.

Carr I don't understand. This is the first year we will be getting a good deal on his contract but everyone is saying he will be gone. If I am understanding his contract correctly he only will cost us 2.7 mil next year and save nothing by cutting him. I say keep him even if he ends up being depth.

Wilber and Alfred Morris are both overpaid and we can save some money cutting them and neither are major needs. I think they are both gone.

This offseason might determine whether or not we are creating a dynasty or just pissing in the wind again. I hope they make the right moves.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
This team went through a period where they signed guys to huge contracts at the first sign of success. Tyrone Crawford I am talking about you. Scandrick too.

There are several players I would take some dead money on to get out from under their contracts.

Here is a list.

Romo - This is an interesting situation. If we trade him then he will count 19 mil against the cap and only save us 5 mil. IF we make him a post June 1st cut then he only costs 10.7 mil and we save 14 mil. That means if we trade him we better get a significant haul otherwise we are better off cutting him.

In my opinion, so many people have this wrong. I do NOT see any reason for us to outright cut Romo. It makes zero sense.

Romo may not be with the team next year, but if not, it will be because of a trade not a cut.

Romo's salary is CHEAP for a starting QB and especially for a top 5 to 10 QB.

If we trade Romo the picknor picks we acquire will have to offset the cap hitvwe take to trade him AND to acquire his successor (backup QB).

I believe we are back in WIN NOW mode but will stay smart with the cap. We are win now but not at ALL COSTS to the cap.

Romo is the best backup in the league. We will not toss that aside like a rag doll.

Tyrone Crawford - If we cut him post June 1st then he costs us 3.1 mil and we save 7.25 mil against the cap. What a horrible contract. I see no reason to prolong this another year. The guy does nothing.

I am not saying he sucks, but quite honestly, it is pretty hard to argue that what he brings to the table can't be kept/procured for a much cheaper cap hit.

Him being a cap casualty is ok from my point of view. He really isn't producing. The cost benefit analysis says we should consider his replacement.

Doug Free - Long considered the weak link in the line is the 8th highest paid player on the team and if Romo and Crawford are gone he will be the 6th highest paid player. Cutting him would save 5 mil towards the cap. Yes I know he has to be replaced and that would cost us via FA or using up a premium draft pick. I think it needs to be done. If we can resign Leary then I would like to see Collins battle Chaz Greene for RT.

I am right there with you on this one. Due to cap considerations we might go cheap here and take a chance with Chaz Green. We may not have a choice. I don't like his injury history, but you can't spend cap and draft picks everywhere.

I would not be opposed to us drafting a RT in the first or second round, if that is where the value lies.

Orlando Scandrick is one of the higher paid players on the team and overpaid in my estimation but with so many questions in the defensive backfield I think we are stuck with him.

I have been a pretty strong fan of Scandrick. He is one of the higher paid players. I would not be opposed to letting him go, but it's not feasible to let 3 of your top 4 corners walk unless you plan on drafting 3 in the draft and I think that is a real long shot.

If Carr is still under contract then he stays most likely. We have Brown. I think we draft a corner. I think either Mo or Scandrick stays.

I am probably in the minority but I would keep all of our current corners including MO. I would also keep Wilcox.

Cedric Thornton is overpaid but they just signed him so he will likely be sticking around. I thought he was average at best when they signed him but he was our big FA signing last year so I guess we are stuck with him.

Thorntons contract does not give him that much protection. Let him fight it out in camp. I think Thornton sticks on the roster unless we go get a top dollar FA DT which I do not think will happen.

Hanna could be cut and save some money so it will be interesting to see whether or not he is 100% going into next year. He represents a need and flashed early in his career but has really been a non factor recently. This should be one to watch.

I think if Hanna is healthy he will be the #2 tight end and Swaim will be the #3 tight end. Escobar is likely gone.

I personally would like to see Witten take a pay cut, but that won't happen. If we spend a first or second round pick on a tight end, then Witten could be a cap casualty. Witten is a first ballot hall of gamer but his worth to the team is dwarfed by his cap hit.

Carr I don't understand. This is the first year we will be getting a good deal on his contract but everyone is saying he will be gone. If I am understanding his contract correctly he only will cost us 2.7 mil next year and save nothing by cutting him. I say keep him even if he ends up ....

If that is the situation with Carr then his contract almost makes him a lock for the roster.

Wilber and Alfred Morris are both overpaid and we can save some money cutting them and neither are major needs. I think they are both gone.

I couldn't agree more on Morris. He is a waste of cap resources. McFadden is a much more dynamic player. I am not sure if he is a free against or not.

Either way I would cut Morris. He does nothing that an undrafted free agent cannot do.

Wilbur may not be paid a lot, but his worth as a positional player should get him cut. Unless he is indispensable on special team I would upgrade him.

This offseason might determine whether or not we are creating a dynasty or just pissing in the wind again. I hope they make the right moves.

Verdict

Reaction score
Look at the interlineated comments in response to your post.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here is a list.

Carr I don't understand. This is the first year we will be getting a good deal on his contract but everyone is saying he will be gone. If I am understanding his contract correctly he only will cost us 2.7 mil next year and save nothing by cutting him. I say keep him even if he ends up being depth.

Scandrick's salary will only be 3M. There are many backup CBs making more than that.

Carr is a free agent. They added 2017 as a dummy year on his contract for cap purposes.

Thorton's salary will be 3M.

Verdict

Reaction score
Scandrick's salary will only be 3M. There are many backup CBs making more than that.

Carr is a free agent. They added 2017 as a dummy year on his contract for cap purposes.

Thorton's salary will be 3M.

Then we have Scandrick and Brown under contract at corner. I would think they would resign Carr or Mo. if they can get it done cheaply. I doubt either is cheap.

If we don't resign either of them then that really forces our hand in the draft at corner.