Bad week for stocks

Praxit

Reaction score
...dont know how many of you keep track of the Dow/Nasdaq and such. I know Shorty does.. ;)..

But it was bear week for investors. We we're doing alright up until then.

Then we have elections soon, so thats going to create some stir.

Creeper

Reaction score
...dont know how many of you keep track of the Dow/Nasdaq and such. I know Shorty does.. ;)..

But it was bear week for investors. We we're doing alright up until then.

Then we have elections soon, so thats going to create some stir.
I do not like mortgage rates this high, and there is still a lot of investments in mortgage backed securities.

With the IMF warning America that rates are too high and we need to cut spending, it all just smells like a storm is brewing.

I like T-Bills right now. They're save, state tax free, and paying over 5%. The market scares me a bit right now, but some people think that is the time to invest.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
200w.gif

Praxit

Reaction score
I do not like mortgage rates this high, and there is still a lot of investments in mortgage backed securities.

With the IMF warning America that rates are too high and we need to cut spending, it all just smells like a storm is brewing.

I like T-Bills right now. They're save, state tax free, and paying over 5%. The market scares me a bit right now, but some people think that is the time to invest.
....I hear ya, Creeper. I always find the housing/mortgage situation complex. Its never stagnate for sure.

I always feel somewhat hopeless how the market moves. Good thing, im not into that racket. But I know many that are.

We're still trying to buy our first start up home...lol... So it is, scary.

rags747

Reaction score
....I hear ya, Creeper. I always find the housing/mortgage situation complex. Its never stagnate for sure.

I always feel somewhat hopeless how the market moves. Good thing, im not into that racket. But I know many that are.

We're still trying to buy our first start up home...lol... So it is, scary.
Racket? Over the long term equities provide the best return.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paramount

Down with possible Skydance buyout/merger
Up with Possible Sony buyout/merger

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last week I “lost” everything I had gained since the first of the year.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My 401k took a hit, but most of my individual stocks have been doing quite well over the last week. Most of what I buy individually are small/micro caps. Nice to see those on the upswing for once after seeing that market basically being destroyed the last couple of years.

Creeper

Reaction score
My 401k took a hit, but most of my individual stocks have been doing quite well over the last week. Most of what I buy individually are small/micro caps. Nice to see those on the upswing for once after seeing that market basically being destroyed the last couple of years.
My 401k has not recovered back to where it was in 2020 after 3 years. I gained a little back but not all of it. I use managed funds and I am not an aggressive investor since I am already retired. But I do think there are stocks that are paying off if you are willing to take a little risk.

morasp

Reaction score
The weekly S&P technical indicators generated a buy signal on 11/24/23 and a sell signal on 4/19/24 for a nice 8.9% gain over the 21 week period.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 401k did take a big hit. Usually I had time on my hand to ride the downs, but I'm at retirement age and the recent downturn has "reduced" my retirement time by 2-3 years as far as planning yearly income. I have to admit the last few months riding the upswing was satisfying and my current account is still larger than it was just months ago. It was money I didn't have before then, but seeing the money vanish at my age is disheartening.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My 401k did take a big hit. Usually I had time on my hand to ride the downs, but I'm at retirement age and the recent downturn has "reduced" my retirement time by 2-3 years as far as planning yearly income. I have to admit the last few months riding the upswing was satisfying and my current account is still larger than it was just months ago. It was money I didn't have before then, but seeing the money vanish at my age is disheartening.
I am in the exact same boat. I feel your pain. I was set to retire 3 years ago but not to be.

1942willys

Reaction score
The Stock Market is all about 20 year return. at some point you need to just get out and put it in bonds or CD's. Picking the right moment is the key. Greed will ALWAYS defeat you.

morasp

Reaction score
I-Series savings bonds are a good option, 1.3% above inflation right now.