Twitter: Baldinger: Eagles getting big FA this week

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Strong Safeties just don’t have big impacts on games in general. Including Adams.

Go tell the great defenses safeties don't matter. They do. And having terrible safety play like we have makes our defense soft and vulnerable. Having good safeties is very key. The key to a good defense is strong up the middle. Interior DL, MLBs and safeties. The DEs and DBs are the glorified positions and this is how we build. We build outside to inside. We go cheap on the interior DL and safeties. Which is why we get torched by any good team. Go check any playoff loss. This was the big reason. The best pressure on a QB is right up the middle. You don't even need to force sacks. Just disrupt him and he will make mistakes.

HanD

Reaction score
Well even though I think Lamb will be the better WR of the two (and time will tell on that), I certainly have no problem with them not wanting to spend a 2nd round draft pick just to move up a couple spots to get him. It is purely speculation on your part to believe it would’ve been worth it.

There were other quality wide receivers in the draft. Just because I don’t agree with our second round selection, it doesn’t mean that I would’ve rather them used that to move up in the first. I wanted them to keep their pics and get younger overall.

I have zero problem with them not trading up at the first.

normally i might tend to agree especially if you have the second tier of WRs fairly close to the first. but if you had a choice of reagor and hurts or ceedee lamb, i think most would pick lamb.

BigD_95

Reaction score
unimpressed.png

We traded Dak for Wentz?

mcmvp

Reaction score
normally i might tend to agree especially if you have the second tier of WRs fairly close to the first. but if you had a choice of reagor and hurts or ceedee lamb, i think most would pick lamb.

Me personally? I’d pick Lamb if I was given only the choice of those two outcomes. Especially for that first season. But I am speaking as a fan.

But as far as overall value, most teams/GMs would want a solid WR and a QB over just another WR. Unless you think that wide receiver is just going to be an all-world talent… And I’m starting to get the feeling that many fans on this site believe that about CeeDee lol.

I get that the hype machine is in full effect here for CeeDee, but I am in wait-and-see mode regarding all of these draftees. He was the third wide receiver taken. 13 WRs went in the first two rounds. Like I said earlier in the thread, we’ll see in two years who the best is. Some people claim that they know right now how it will all shake out. I wonder how many will admit to being wrong later if it’s obvious...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Go tell the great defenses safeties don't matter. They do. And having terrible safety play like we have makes our defense soft and vulnerable. Having good safeties is very key. The key to a good defense is strong up the middle. Interior DL, MLBs and safeties. The DEs and DBs are the glorified positions and this is how we build. We build outside to inside. We go cheap on the interior DL and safeties. Which is why we get torched by any good team. Go check any playoff loss. This was the big reason. The best pressure on a QB is right up the middle. You don't even need to force sacks. Just disrupt him and he will make mistakes.

I didn’t say safeties don’t matter.

Id pay top dollar for a great center fielder..

I was Pom Pom’ing a trade for Minkah Fitzpatrick before it was even a rumor.

Paying that kind of money for a strong safety? No thanks. Not in the salary cap era.

I can trot Jeff Heath out there for nothing and he have the same overall impact on the outcome of games as the high paid guys.

Corners, pass rushers, offensive tackles, QBs are my top priority to pay money too.

HanD

Reaction score
Me personally? I’d pick Lamb if I was given only the choice of those two outcomes. Especially for that first season. But I am speaking as a fan.

But as far as overall value, most teams/GMs would want a solid WR and a QB over just another WR. Unless you think that wide receiver is just going to be an all-world talent… And I’m starting to get the feeling that many fans on this site believe that about CeeDee lol.

I get that the hype machine is in full effect here for CeeDee, but I am in wait-and-see mode regarding all of these draftees. He was the third wide receiver taken. 13 WRs went in the first two rounds. Like I said earlier in the thread, we’ll see in two years who the best is. Some people claim that they know right now how it will all shake out. I wonder how many will admit to being wrong later if it’s obvious...

I don't think most GMs who just signed Wentz to an extension would take reagor and hurts over lamb. QBs have value but not as backups. And not hurts in the second imo.

If we are talking a team needing a starting or future QB for sure saving that second rounder makes sense instead of trading up.

Regardless of if ceedee is all world, given the outcomes for the eagles majority would take ceedee.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree! with the no way any scout nor team would have Reagor over Lamb on there draft board, and if so that scout should get there walking papers handed to them ASAP. That is not a knock on the egirls receiver either but just plain facts.
Right and that's a good point. I Forgot teams didn't even get to evaluate receivers like in years past......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think most GMs who just signed Wentz to an extension would take reagor and hurts over lamb. QBs have value but not as backups. And not hurts in the second imo.

It would be one thing if Hurts was some 'can't miss' quarterback prospect that somehow fell out of the 1st round, but that's not the case at all.

The fact is that the Eagles reached on both of their first two draft picks this year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Of course you don't know what will happen. But that is what scouts come into play. Eagles landed Reagor and he's a guy they wanted. Just leave it at that. But to sit here and say they had him on the same tier as Lamb is just hype from you guys. And with the way the Eagles have been drafting wide receivers lately...their evaluation of the position need to be questioned as it is.

mcmvp

Reaction score

If we are talking a team needing a starting or future QB for sure saving that second rounder makes sense instead of trading up.

I disagree....most GMs would pick the QB/WR combo over the stand alone WR. for overall value long term. Back up QBs do have value. The Eagles have traded several for a lot of draft capital down the road. I'm sure that is what Howie is thinking here.

Two reasons he picked Hurts...1) Cheap rookie deal for salary cap beats paying 3-7 mil for a backup - salary cap reason. 2) To showcase him and get more in return down the road. Hence his stupid "we want to be a QB factory" quote after the draft. That one made me laugh. He may do it...but keep your mouth shut and just do it.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Without question. Cowboys do what the eagles did in the draft we would be getting slammed right now

Daillest88

Reaction score
I disagree....most GMs would pick the QB/WR combo over the stand alone WR. for overall value long term. Back up QBs do have value. The Eagles have traded several for a lot of draft capital down the road. I'm sure that is what Howie is thinking here.

Two reasons he picked Hurts...1) Cheap rookie deal for salary cap beats paying 3-7 mil for a backup - salary cap reason. 2) To showcase him and get more in return down the road. Hence his stupid "we want to be a QB factory" quote after the draft. That one made me laugh. He may do it...but keep your mouth shut and just do it.

lol...

mcmvp

Reaction score
It would be one thing if Hurts was some 'can't miss' quarterback prospect that somehow fell out of the 1st round, but that's not the case at all.

The fact is that the Eagles reached on both of their first two draft picks this year.

Here is where we agree...I don't think much of Hurts as a QB. I'm sure he can be a playmaker at times in his own right, but I feel he is a product of Riley. Hopefully he proves me wrong

But if was can't miss (which there really is no such thing), he wouldn't have lasted until the mid-late 2nd round.

HanD

Reaction score
Here is where we agree...I don't think much of Hurts as a QB. I'm sure he can be a playmaker at times in his own right, but I feel he is a product of Riley. Hopefully he proves me wrong

But if was can't miss (which there really is no such thing), he wouldn't have lasted until the mid-late 2nd round.
So that's where Howie failed to make sense. Hurts isn't some great prospect. He's a developmental project who had issues until he was put in a system where QBs become God and the first overall pick. Based on hurts being overdrafted in the second, I don't think as prospects most GMs would take hurts and reagor.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm glad that we can agree on something today.

There were rumors of the Cowboys potentially having interest in Hurts (they did conduct a remote pre-draft visit) and I wasn't all that excited, certainly not before the 4th round. I feel he needs too much work and I'm not sure he'll ever develop into as good of a passer as he would need to be at the NFL level.

That's why I'm especially critical of Roseman and the Eagles' decisions in the draft.

It's one thing not to give up that 2nd rounder to get Lamb. It's another to (what I feel) reach for Reagor. And then to ultimately use that 2nd rounder you couldn't part with on a backup, developmental quarterback? After you've committed to Wentz?

No, no sense in that.

Bigdog

Reaction score
We traded Dak for Wentz?
Some people on this board would be very happy that we traded for the God of all QBs. Would not need any receivers because he can throw it and catch it himself. he is that good according to some.

mcmvp

Reaction score
So that's where Howie failed to make sense. Hurts isn't some great prospect. He's a developmental project who had issues until he was put in a system where QBs become God and the first overall pick. Based on hurts being overdrafted in the second, I don't think as prospects most GMs would take hurts and reagor.

I agree… In this case because the QB was Hurts. I don’t have a problem with Howie’s philosophy in general. I just don’t like the pick in this case.

But I have no problem with the Reagor pick in the first, and I am glad they did not give up a pick to move up in the 1st. I just wish they would’ve made a better second round selection

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Of course you don't know what will happen. But that is what scouts come into play. Eagles landed Reagor and he's a guy they wanted. Just leave it at that. But to sit here and say they had him on the same tier as Lamb is just hype from you guys. And with the way the Eagles have been drafting wide receivers lately...their evaluation of the position need to be questioned as it is.

LOL, are you putting them in the Lions category when MM was drafting and they toke a receiver with there number 1 pick 3 straight drafts.