Ball control or 30 points a game

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
With this team, it's a true dichotomy. In 2018, the strategy was to keep the defense off the field as much as possible, then win at the end when the defense was tired.
Full control. Don't overexpose the young defense. I don't know how people don't get this. That was the strategy. Doesn't mean I approve or disapprove it's just what it was

Haimerej

Reaction score
With this team, it's a true dichotomy. In 2018, the strategy was to keep the defense off the field as much as possible, then win at the end when the defense was tired.

They've been keeping the defense off the field as much as possible since 2014. Only difference is they're not scoring as much anymore.

Haimerej

Reaction score
The dichotomy is very real.

I wouldn't say that. It seems the choice would be between controlling the ball and not scoring or not controlling the ball and not scoring. Either way, the problem with the offense the last two years has been putting points on the board.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The dichotomy is very real.
I know people might not believe it. I think Jason Witten is going to make a difference in the red zone I don't think we'll be leaving point on the field as much this season . After all it was Prescott who threw him his first-ever playoff touchdown catch

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wouldn't say that. It seems the choice would be between controlling the ball and not scoring or not controlling the ball and not scoring. Either way, the problem with the offense the last two years has been putting points on the board.
And it's not like we didn't get in the red zone. So it wasn't an actual points it was actually leaving points.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Which offense do you believe will achieve winning a Super Bowl?

I believe the way Dallas is constituted right now the defense is the strength of the team. If Dallas had a high scoring offense(30 points a game) they would be the NFC favorites, if not thee league favorites.

But when I read some of the post, others believe a ball control offense would be better, you don't need to pass more. That it would protect the defense better.

I fear more for Dallas when they play a high scoring offense than when they play a ball control offense. I believe running a ball control offense will not let you keep up if the game gets away.

When two high scoring teams meet, the team with the best defense should be favorites. Is this the best way to win a championship?
I don’t know how many times I have to point this out but apparently constantly. We do not know what offense we are going to have this year because WE HAVE A TOTALLY NEW OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. When will fans wake up?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Defense is gassed in the 4th.

DALLAS OFFENSE
% of drives ending in TD (NFL rank)
Drive ended in 1st-3rd qtr
18.5% (24th)

Drive ended in 4th qtr/OT
33.3% (4th)

DALLAS DEFENSE
% of OPPONENTS' drives ending in TD (NFL rank)
17.6% (4th)

31.4% (28th)

Haimerej

Reaction score

DALLAS OFFENSE
18.5% (24th)

33.3% (4th)

DALLAS DEFENSE
17.6% (4th)

31.4% (28th)

Not necessarily true that they're gassed. Both Garrett and Marinelli have said they make the opposition chew clock to move the ball late as part of strategy. If you're up two scores in the 4th and you force the opponent to chew up 5-6 minutes to get a score it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Bingo.....no question, our number 1 problem last season was red zone scoring. I'm fairly confidence averaging 10-12 more points per game, we would have played in the NFCCG. Ironically our D did a damn good job keeping opponents scoring to a min until Rams game.
I have repeated in several threads how Belichick once said he only cares about two stats.......scoring ( offensive and defensive keeping teams to a min) and turnovers. As he put it, win these two stats, you're going to win a lot of ball games.

Haimerej

Reaction score

DALLAS OFFENSE
18.5% (24th)

33.3% (4th)

DALLAS DEFENSE
17.6% (4th)

31.4% (28th)

To elaborate using those stats, if you're #4 in allowing points through 3 quarters, assuming your offense is competent, you likely give up a lot of garbage time scores late.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
And it's not like we didn't get in the red zone. So it wasn't an actual points it was actually leaving points.

You're exactly right........we had little or no problems getting in the red zone. Just couldn't finish we TDs way too many times.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
To elaborate using those stats, if you're #4 in allowing points through 3 quarters, assuming your offense is competent, you likely give up a lot of garbage time scores late.
Those aren't garbage-time scores.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Which offense do you believe will achieve winning a Super Bowl?

I believe the way Dallas is constituted right now the defense is the strength of the team. If Dallas had a high scoring offense(30 points a game) they would be the NFC favorites, if not thee league favorites.

But when I read some of the post, others believe a ball control offense would be better, you don't need to pass more. That it would protect the defense better.

I fear more for Dallas when they play a high scoring offense than when they play a ball control offense. I believe running a ball control offense will not let you keep up if the game gets away.

When two high scoring teams meet, the team with the best defense should be favorites. Is this the best way to win a championship?
No the best way to win Superbowls is being able to play any kind of way you need. Patriots are so good because Belichek changes his gameplan from opponent to opponent. Being really good in one area, allows the opponent to sell out and stop what your good at.

Sometimes running clock works and sometimes high scoring is needed. We need to stop relying on one unit to win and start winning as a team.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not necessarily true that they're gassed. Both Garrett and Marinelli have said they make the opposition chew clock to move the ball late as part of strategy. If you're up two scores in the 4th and you force the opponent to chew up 5-6 minutes to get a score it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Dallas had 6 games in which they were up by two scores in the 4th.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You're just looking at quarter by quarter numbers aren't you?
In other words, 1/3 of all games in 2018.

Six total games in which Dallas had an offensive play while up by more than one score in the 4th quarter.

Haimerej

Reaction score
In other words, 1/3 of all games in 2018.

Six total games in which Dallas had an offensive play while up by more than one score in the 4th quarter.

That's a significant amount- there's also the playoff against SEA. Just looking through it appears in most of those games they gave up TDs in the 4th.

But I don't buy that they were gassed. If that's the case there's a serious problem considering how much TOP the offense controls. It likely has more to do with how most games go- teams generally increase their scoring with more opportunities. Add that to 37.5% of your games allowing garbage time scores and you'll see a lower ranking compared with other teams.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
That's a significant amount- there's also the playoff against SEA. Just looking through it appears in most of those games they gave up TDs in the 4th.

But I don't buy that they were gassed. If that's the case there's a serious problem considering how much TOP the offense controls. It likely has more to do with how most games go- teams generally increase their scoring with more opportunities. Add that to 37.5% of your games allowing garbage time scores and you'll see a lower ranking compared with other teams.
I'm including all 18 games. You don't buy that the defense was gassed? That's certainly your prerogative. :D

TD% allowed in 4th quarter/OT
NFL avg 23.5%
Dallas 33.3% (29th)