Barber for 5 yrs/25 Mil.....don't do it Jerry....

noletime95

Reaction score
After watching him run yesterday I'm totally convinced there is little chance Barber will be effective as a feature back for 5 years. The guy has heart and plays hard, no doubt, but this is a business and bad contracts lead to bad teams. Tender him for a 1st and a 3rd (or just a first) and see how he does for a full year. His market value isn't going to go up any higher than $5 Mil a year for a RB.

RB's are a dime a dozen these days. You don't need to use significant cap dollars towards the position unless you have somone like LT. Barber can be replaced-just draft somone this year a sign a vet to replace him if he walks in 09.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
RB's are a dime a dozen, yet we had Marion Barber and absolute **** on the roster this year.

He is far, far to valuable a player to even think about letting go.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Why are you convinced that he can't be a franchise QB? He only ran for 101 yards in the first half.

YAKUZA

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
We need to find a feature back, so barber can excell in the role he is suited for which is COP back

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1905374 said:
Why are you convinced that he can't be a franchise QB? He only ran for 101 yards in the first half.

YAKUZA

Cuz he's a RB.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
We let him go and than what?? We would have no running backs on the roster and it would force the team to use at least one high pick on the very same position.

noletime95

Reaction score

YAKUZA

U mean franhise RB? I'm not convinced either way, I just don't see the reason to take the risk at this point when he's tied up for another year...let's see if he can do it for 16+ games...

noletime95

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;1905382 said:
We let him go and than what?? We would have no running backs on the roster and it would force the team to use at least one high pick on the very same position.

No one is going to sign for a first and third.....he'll be around another year, at a minimum.

Nexx

Reaction score
i agree with the OP 100%. barber is effective in spurts because of the way he runs. he would be toast at the end of the year if he got the same kind of load he got yesterday. barber needs 10 to 15 carries a game along with another back who can carry 15 to 20 times a game and i would prefer that other back to have the home run ability. i want to see a back take it to the house from 50+ yards every once and awhile.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
noletime95;1905384 said:
U mean franhise RB? I'm not convinced either way, I just don't see the reason to take the risk at this point when he's tied up for another year...let's see if he can do it for 16+ games...

I agree with that part. But I don't see why he won't be effective as a full time starter, especially after the Giants game.

YAKUZA

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;1905402 said:
I agree with that part. But I don't see why he won't be effective as a full time starter, especially after the Giants game.

YAKUZA

He was exhausted by the 4th quarter. You could tell by how poor his blitz pickups were. The guy was beat.

utrunner07

Reaction score

YAKUZA

I dont think he has the speed to be a franchise back, on top of that, the guy gets worn out quickly just based on his running style. Not good for a franchise RB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Nexx;1905396 said:
i agree with the OP 100%. barber is effective in spurts because of the way he runs. he would be toast at the end of the year if he got the same kind of load he got yesterday. barber needs 10 to 15 carries a game along with another back who can carry 15 to 20 times a game and i would prefer that other back to have the home run ability. i want to see a back take it to the house from 50+ yards every once and awhile.

julius could do that...but i dont think he really got a shot this year

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
noletime95;1905393 said:
No one is going to sign for a first and third.....he'll be around another year, at a minimum.

I see your point.....though I love Barber it might prove to be a smart decision.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Actually, if we had a somewhat decent back who could break a tackle or two, and can be trusted to play a couple of series per half, perhaps Barber wouldn't have tired out at the end.

JJ came in and did his usual run into a defenders arm tackle for a gain of one, which necessitated Barber to stay in the game.

I hope we can get a complimentary back in the draft, perhaps Felix Jones. He can return KO, Punts and is a heck of a runner. He would be a great back up to Barber for many years to come.

The Panch

Reaction score
Future;1905408 said:
julius could do that...but i dont think he really got a shot this year
That was on Julius. Was the run block atrocious this season?? Yes, but when you got a running back with such poor vision and inability to break tackles, it takes away everything he once was.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
YAKUZA

Holding on to the ball seems to be a growing issue....

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Barbarian at 5 - 25

is a bargain, show me where you go get 1500 yard 20 TD Running backs....

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The Panch;1905416 said:
That was on Julius. Was the run block atrocious this season?? Yes, but when you got a running back with such poor vision and inability to break tackles, it takes away everything he once was.

The guy never got a chance to get in rhythm. Our offense got so obsessed with getting MBIII the ball that Julius was given nothing. How can you expect anything from a back who starts the game...gets 2 carries for like 10 yards and then doesnt get it again until the third quarter.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nors;1905428 said:
Barbarian at 5 - 25

is a bargain, show me where you go get 1500 yard 20 TD Running backs....

first, he's got to show that he's actually that back.

that said, i don't see 5-25 as a huge risk for a new deal for him