Barbers Touches

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/players/marionbarber/gamelogs?id=BAR059695

The last 3 games Barber only had 8 touches and we almost lost 2 of the 3. I know many will say we were forced to pass coming from behind but maybe we need to be a little more patient.

Vs the Bears Barber had 15 touches for 102 yds. How many remember the ole saying, "When Tony D gets 100 yds we win the game?" I would like to see this Barbarian kid get 15-20 touches per game, maybe 17 is the magic #.

He's in his 3rd year already and he looks stronger every season, maybe cause we keep him fresh. Is it time to ride the horse? Our defense is getting worn down by the 4rth, how long before we bust another main?

This will also open it up for TO and company to get the long ball, something we haven't seen much of this year. Just brain storming till Sunday:cool:

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Another reason why he needs to start. All this talk about the NFL being a 2 back league is ridicilous. Yes you need a capable backup but you also need to have your best players on the field, they cant make plays on the sidelines. Defenses fear Barber, no one is worried about Jones.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Because Barber seems to affect the whole team's attitude and the fans, I agree with what you said, and also feel he should get in there earlier.

Instead of giving Julius and Barber alternating series, sub them more often. Why can't Barber get a first down, then Julius a 2nd etc.

I also agree with the patience thing. Romo needs to throw to the backs more and use these check downs instead of forcing the big plays he so badly wants (gotta love him for that, but do the little stuff like NE and Buffalo did against us). Barber and Jones are often open after chip blocking. They are both good YAC runners.

I think we will see this as season goes on. Barber has made his case and no stubberness of coaching, Parcells or the new guys can stop the Barbarian from taking over more of the spotlight. And this is no criticism of Jones, they are just different styles.

LarryCanadian

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
I think we need to go with the hot hand. I really do think Julius was on a roll then we took him out in the Pats game. When Barber is hot, keep him in too! Also, the stats you posted are deceiving because this last game we only had 44 plays on offense.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
JJ ran very well against the Pats, 6 carries, 51 yards, 8.5 average. The Pats D is not GREAT but they are not pushovers either. We will see this weekend what JJ has against the #2 run defense in the league.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;1716048 said:
I think we need to go with the hot hand. I really do think Julius was on a roll then we took him out in the Pats game. When Barber is hot, keep him in too! Also, the stats you posted are deceiving because this last game we only had 44 plays on offense.

I totally agree with the hot hand but stats are stats, no smoke screens going on here. And I still think we would've beat Seattle in the playoffs if we had just kept riding Julius when he was angry, the man was possessed and we threw cold water on him when we pulled him out of the game...

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1716066 said:
I totally agree with the hot hand but stats are stats, no smoke screens going on here. And I still think we would've beat Seattle in the playoffs if we had just kept riding Julius when he was angry, the man was possessed and we threw cold water on him when we pulled him out of the game...

Yea, that’s the thing about Julius, he is a streaky running back. When he has a big game, it’s huge. And i really think we should have did more with him against the Pats. I still like Barber as a third down and redzone player.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;1716011 said:
Romo needs to throw to the backs more and use these check downs instead of forcing the big plays he so badly wants (gotta love him for that, but do the little stuff like NE and Buffalo did against us). Barber and Jones are often open after chip blocking. They are both good YAC runners.

I think we will see this as season goes on.
Agree %1000, and I keep thinking the same thing, but against the Pats we threw 3 passes to the backs, all in the first quarter, all complete, for an average of 5 yards per catch. It was the only thing we did in the first quarter that was working.

Then after that, nothing. Not one more pass to the backs the rest of the day. Not even an attempt.

Julius has 6 catches in 6 games.

khiladi

Reaction score
Doomsday;1716007 said:
Another reason why he needs to start. All this talk about the NFL being a 2 back league is ridicilous. Yes you need a capable backup but you also need to have your best players on the field, they cant make plays on the sidelines. Defenses fear Barber, no one is worried about Jones.

If you have two backs, the total carries should go up, but that isn't happening.

The problem is, we don't consistently run, whether with one back or two. Whether it is Barber starting or Jones, we need to be more consistent in trying to establish a run attack.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
percyhoward;1716090 said:
Agree %1000, and I keep thinking the same thing, but against the Pats we threw 3 passes to the backs, all in the first quarter, all complete, for an average of 5 yards per catch. It was the only thing we did in the first quarter that was working.

Then after that, nothing. Not one more pass to the backs the rest of the day. Not even an attempt.

Julius has 6 catches in 6 games.

We gave up to early on the short stuff but it was definetly working, Garrett needs to be more patient..

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Looking back at the NE game, Brady had 4 completions that gained 7 yards or less in the opening TD drive alone. He had 14 for the whole game. Almost half of his 31 completions were short gains.

In contrast, Romo only had 4 such completions in the entire game, 3 of which were to backs.

If Romo's totally ignoring the short stuff, so are the defenders.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hmm, the secret to winning must be getting a double-digit lead so that we can run out the clock late in games.

Barber had 15 carries against Chicago because he had eight straight runs late in the fourth quarter when we were up by 17. And he had 11 carries against the Giants because he had five straight runs in the final 2:08 when we were up by 10.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
One way to get Barber more carries would be to start him. He only averages 4.0 ypc in the first quarter, but it sure beats JJ's 2.7 ypc.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
ELDudearino;1716002 said:
http://www.nfl.com/players/marionbarber/gamelogs?id=BAR059695

The last 3 games Barber only had 8 touches and we almost lost 2 of the 3. I know many will say we were forced to pass coming from behind but maybe we need to be a little more patient.

Vs the Bears Barber had 15 touches for 102 yds. How many remember the ole saying, "When Tony D gets 100 yds we win the game?" I would like to see this Barbarian kid get 15-20 touches per game, maybe 17 is the magic #.

He's in his 3rd year already and he looks stronger every season, maybe cause we keep him fresh. Is it time to ride the horse? Our defense is getting worn down by the 4rth, how long before we bust another main?

This will also open it up for TO and company to get the long ball, something we haven't seen much of this year. Just brain storming till Sunday:cool:

Agree, 100%. I don't think Barber has to "Start" but we need to give him the ball more.

I also think Garrett is getting a little too pass happy. He needs to have more balance.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
In order for a RB to get that 100 yards, you have to make a concentrated effort to run the ball. Face it, we have a former QB that is calling the plays....he likes to throw the ball alot.

Emmitt and Tony went over 100 in the 4th qtr. for the most part and that was also getting 20+ carries.

The saying about Emmitt was "Get him the ball 20+ times and we win."

Emmitt wasn't the quickest starter as well, but we stuck with him. We haven't "stuck with" a runner on a consistent basis for a couple of years.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
We definitely need to try to run the ball more with both backs.

Unfortunately, this isn't a good week to start trying.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
MBIII has played total of 35 games so far and he has had 15 games where he had double digit carries. When he has 10 or more carries, he has averaged 5.0 (4.97) yards per carry.

However, other 20 games when he had less than 10 carries in a game, he has averaged 4.1 (4.13) yards per carry.

I would like to see him get at least 10 carries per game.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1716307 said:
MBIII has played total of 35 games so far and he has had 15 games where he had double digit carries.
Not that the rest of your post wasn't good information, I just thought that stat right there said it all.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Jimz31;1716259 said:
In order for a RB to get that 100 yards, you have to make a concentrated effort to run the ball. Face it, we have a former QB that is calling the plays....he likes to throw the ball alot.

Emmitt and Tony went over 100 in the 4th qtr. for the most part and that was also getting 20+ carries.

The saying about Emmitt was "Get him the ball 20+ times and we win."

Emmitt wasn't the quickest starter as well, but we stuck with him. We haven't "stuck with" a runner on a consistent basis for a couple of years.

I think 2004, JJ's rookie year, was the last time one RB was getting the ball consistently. When he was getting 20-30 carries a game he was doing great. His problems started when his caries got cut into. And it seems the more they go down, the worse he gets.