Barbers Touches

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1716307 said:
MBIII has played total of 35 games so far and he has had 15 games where he had double digit carries. When he has 10 or more carries, he has averaged 5.0 (4.97) yards per carry.

However, other 20 games when he had less than 10 carries in a game, he has averaged 4.1 (4.13) yards per carry.

Those stats might or might not be relevant. If he was averaging about 5.0 yards per carry in his first nine carries of games when he finished with 10 or more, then all it means is we give him the ball more when he's running well and don't give it to him when he's not (like Kevin Jones with the Lions for a few years). But if he averages 4.1 in his first nine carries but explodes after that, then it would be relevant.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Jimz31;1716259 said:
In order for a RB to get that 100 yards, you have to make a concentrated effort to run the ball. Face it, we have a former QB that is calling the plays....he likes to throw the ball alot.

Emmitt and Tony went over 100 in the 4th qtr. for the most part and that was also getting 20+ carries.

The saying about Emmitt was "Get him the ball 20+ times and we win."

Emmitt wasn't the quickest starter as well, but we stuck with him. We haven't "stuck with" a runner on a consistent basis for a couple of years.

When they gave him the ball a lot, it eventually ruined him. It's very hard to avoid the curse of 370. And those people determined to run a back 25 times a game haven't taken into account the wear and tear a 16 game season places on a back.

Curse of 370: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=4764

From that url was a pretty terrific reader comment, which I'll quote.

1. Wonder if it came up less with 14 game seasons, or if its # of carries per game or total per season which determines…
    370 carries is just over 23 carries per game (23.125). If it were carries per game, that works out to 323 carries per season.
    In looking at leader for carries in the 14 game seasons of the 70s…
    in 1970, Ron Johnson of the Giants lead with 263 carris, 3.9 ypc. He got hurt the next season, but rebounded to lead the league in carries in ‘72.
    1971 Floyd Little lead the NFL with 284 carries, 4.0 ypc. He continued strong the next two seasons, 4.0 and 3.8 ypc and didnt’ drop off until 1974.
    1972 the leading carrier was Ron Johnson of the Giants, 298 carries, avering 4 ypc. he dropped to 3.5 next year, and 2.2 in limited duty the following year.
    1973, 74, 75 were all lead by OJ Simpson with 332, 270 and 329 carries each year, 6 ypc, 4.2 ypc, 5.5 ypc, in 77 he lead AFC (but not NFL) with 290 and 5.2 ypc, knee injury in 77 and was never same again).
    Walter Payton lead in 1976 with 311 carries, 1390 yards, 4.5 ypc. He lead again in 1977 with 339 carries and 1852 ypc, 5.5 ypc. he dropped to only 4.1 ypc next year, and while he never got to 1800 yards again, certainly had a good number of years left.
    Based on this, it appears that people didn’t run the same back as much per game in the 14 game seasons… but even when they did, it had less effect.
    Thus, the cumulative total per season seems to govern.
    Of those teams only two made the playoffs, the Bills in 74 (15 carries for Simpson) and the Bears in 77 (19 carries for Payton).
    Could it be that coaching philosphy has stemmed from the days of shorter seasons (or college with shorter still), and has yet to adapt to the 16 game season?
    :: andrew — 1/2/2007 @ 12:43 am

Freyguy

Reaction score
Julius IMO just sometimes looks disconnected from the game. All this talk about Barber and everyone is forgetting about him and I think its really lowering his confidence. While i do agree that we should continue with this RBBC, i think MBIII could be the next coming of Larry Johnson. Only he has already taken his diaper off.

Just look at them. They have the same style of running, both have a knack for the endzone(well...not LJ so much this year) and they both were wanting the starting job. Now, I know JuJo is no Priest Holmes but it is something to consider. Just my thoughts.