Barring a superbowl run, expect a lot of housecleaning on the defensive side

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Has a player ever voluntarily restructured his contract such that his take home was less? There may be an examples of this, but I'm not aware of it happening.

CoCo

Reaction score
theogt;2428233 said:
Has a player ever voluntarily restructured his contract such that his take home was less? There may be an examples of this, but I'm not aware of it happening.

Lots I think. Jon Lynch in Denver most recently (although he ended up asking for & getting his release once he saw he wasn't starting.

But the player clear has to be on the downside of their career and want to stay.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
CoCo;2428294 said:
Lots I think. Jon Lynch in Denver most recently (although he ended up asking for & getting his release once he saw he wasn't starting.

But the player clear has to be on the downside of their career and want to stay.

Didn't Brady do it to?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
yimyammer;2428218 said:
According to this:
http://homersontherange.com/2008/10/14/roy-williams-trade-does-not-diminish-cowboys-2009-draft/ Quote:

Here is a rundown of the nine (yes, I just said NINE) picks that the Cowboys will still have in the 2009 draft:
  • Second, fourth, fifth and seventh round, plus:
  • Third round from Cleveland for a fourth-rounder in 2008
  • Fourth round from Detroit for third-rounder in 2008
  • Fifth round back from Tennessee for Pacman Jones getting suspended
  • Sixth round from Miami for nose tackle Jason Ferguson
  • Seventh round from Detroit in Roy Williams trade
We still have a pretty good number of picks (nine), just no #1 and we haven't even addressed compensatory picks. If Roy pans out, it seems we should be just fine ASSUMING we have a personel department that can continue to identify talent

Wow! thanks for the good information.
Had no idea, though many of those stockpiled picks are in the lower round.
But still good to no. It is like a Christmas miracle.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2427852 said:
I think there are going to be some disappointed people.

I hope so as what is proposed would suggest that our personnel evaluators have no clue as to what they are doing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2428302 said:
Didn't Brady do it to?
I think Brady just restructured his contract in that they made his salary switch to bonus money, which allows them to reduce the current year cap hit, but it doesn't reduce his take home pay.

CoCo;2428294 said:

From what I could find, he only restructured his like Brady and many others have as I discussed above.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2427852 said:
I think there are going to be some disappointed people.

Yeah there are. Anyone thinking we are going to change 30% of the roster is sorely mistaken

slotshot

Reaction score
There's no way we spend that many positions of Defense. OL especially needs really help.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would imagine a few of those guys, Ball/Carpenter/etc who are mainly ST's guys and backups could be replaced by some of those 9, or more, draft picks we wind up with. With Roy Williams being brought over I would think that some young, talented, depth on the O-Line, D-Line, and at safety are going to be some of the priorities in the draft. Also back up QB I'd imagine.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I think we are going to have a lot of disappointed bloggers here because there is no way all of those guys are gone and no way we spend more than 5 picks in the draft on the D.

I would agree on Henry, Roy W. (S), Ellis, Rogers, Polk and possibly Watkins. We probably find a trade partner or two for most of them for late picks. Most probably won't think so but you just have to look at the D's that are far worse than ours like St. Louis, Detroit, etc. and they would be reasonably priced since they are still under contract.

Forget James, Zack or Carpenter going anywhere. Just won't happen.

Ball and Brown are both young and in only there 2nd year, they will get a 3rd.

Burnett's contract is up as is Spears and Canty. A couple of them probably stay but doubt all three.

Bet is they keep Burnett and Canty with Spears going but we have Marcus Dixon on the PS and I fully expect him to start next year.

The season isn't over yet so we will see.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Burnett Watkins Ball and James will stay. I would love to get rid of James but I just don't think it will happen. I actually like Burnett and think he brings more to the team then people think. I wanna keep zach but I have a feeling thats going south. Watkins stays cause we don't have anyone else.

slotshot

Reaction score
Sandyf;2428421 said:
I think we are going to have a lot of disappointed bloggers here because there is no way all of those guys are gone and no way we spend more than 5 picks in the draft on the D.

I would agree on Henry, Roy W. (S), Ellis, Rogers, Polk and possibly Watkins. We probably find a trade partner or two for most of them for late picks. Most probably won't think so but you just have to look at the D's that are far worse than ours like St. Louis, Detroit, etc. and they would be reasonably priced since they are still under contract.

Forget James, Zack or Carpenter going anywhere. Just won't happen.

Ball and Brown are both young and in only there 2nd year, they will get a 3rd.

Burnett's contract is up as is Spears and Canty. A couple of them probably stay but doubt all three.

Bet is they keep Burnett and Canty with Spears going but we have Marcus Dixon on the PS and I fully expect him to start next year.

The season isn't over yet so we will see.

I agree that Canty probably stays...Burnett might be out the door due to injury issues though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
ninja;2427842 said:
Brady James
Bobby Carpenter
Pat Watkins
Courtney Brown
S Roy Williams
Anthony Henry
Kevin Burnett
Zach Thomas
Alan Ball
LB Polk
LB Rogers
Greg Ellis

snip......

James......not going anywhere. If someone can beat him out then he's a backup. I do see the possibility of them drafting an ILB but it will likely take a season for that player to take more than 50% of the snaps.

Bobby Carpenter.....who cares anymore although I reserve the right to argue differently.

Pat Watkins.....possibly but he's cheap backup and a good STs player which this team needs.

Courtney Brown....possibly. He'll be in a fight for a safety position but I wouldn't predict him. He does need to pickup his STs play which could be his make or break. I'm hoping we get two safeties in here but at least one newcomer with a chance to push for game snaps.

Roy Williams....I'd love to see him go but I wouldn't count on it. At the least he's probably going to see time in the nickel/dime. I'm hoping he can take over Burnett's job. Is he big enough to not be a target there? I think he's capable of it.

Anthony Henry.....way too much talk about trading him. I do see value here at FS. I'd put him there unless he rebells. If you get enough trade value for him then I definitely see him traded to a team in desperate need of a veteran CB.

Burnett could be a casualty but I doubt it. He's our only LB who can cover well enough IMO. He needs to stay healthy and play thru injuries.

Zach is not going anywhere unless we get rich at MLB. Somehow that has never been a pressing concern although it needs to be. We really need to draft a MLB.

Alan Ball is not going anywhere IMO. He needs to pick up his STs play. A lot.

Polk and Rogers need to be replaced. I have no idea if they can be though. Both are better than they generally get credit for but they aren't good enough to not be pushed in camp. We need ST players. We need these kind of players to be pushing the starters instead of there being a huge gap.

Ellis will be here next year unless traded....very very unlikely, he retires suddenly, or he gets a significant injury. He's a good backup at the least. Spencer must develop at the LB position to take his job. He's not doing that yet. And that is puzzling as well as troubling.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this post because it puts some thought into why you feel each player will or won't be around next year rather than a blanket statement.

I listed my comments in bold:

WoodysGirl;2428177 said:
Spears has one more year on his contract and is relatively cheap. I think he sticks.

Of the original list...

Brady James - he sticks most likely back next year as he's a good run defender with a big contract. It's probably cost-prohibitive too.
Bobby Carpenter - he's cheap and may stick for ST duties, but if there's an upgrade he's ghost I think he's gone. In as much to turn the page on a hugely disappoining 1st round draft choice as any other reason. If the team could get a bag of chips from Parcells, they may make a face-saving trade.
Pat Watkins - cheap backup, he sticks I think he goes too. I think he's shown that he doesn't have the necessary skills or durability to be a starter if needed. Time to cut bait.
Courtney Brown - see Watkins I can see Brown getting another year
S Roy Williams - 50/50, if he takes a paycut, he sticks I don't see the pay cut happening so put me down for him not returning.
Anthony Henry - trade bait, kinda agree with Hos He might have some value (Parcells maybe?) Otherwise I see him getting cut. Too highly paid, too hurt, decling skills.
Kevin Burnett - UFA, he's gone
Zach Thomas - UFA, he's gone
Alan Ball - cheap backup, he sticks Agreed.
LB Polk - UFA, he's gone
LB Rogers - training camp cut
Greg Ellis - cheap backup, he sticks I think I'm on the fence on Ellis being back next year or not.

Mr.davon24

PGH Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
ninja;2427842 said:
Brady James
Bobby Carpenter
Pat Watkins
Courtney Brown
S Roy Williams
Anthony Henry
Kevin Burnett
Zach Thomas
Alan Ball
LB Polk
LB Rogers
Greg Ellis

Did I miss anyone? That's 12 defensive players who will have a hard time staying with the team next year, imo.

1) Brady James and Carp may compete for one position. The loser is definetly out. Perhaps both are gone. Both suck, imo.
2) Pat Watkins is out! 15 yd facemask and pancaked by a QB and injury-prone. Sayonara!
3) Courtney Brown is out. A safety who can't tackle. Forget it.
4) Roy Williams can't cover or tackle. Show something at LB or cut him.
5) Anthony Henry likely gone unless he shows something at safety.
6) Burnett is just a mediocre LB. Should get better LB in draft.
7) Zach is too old and injury prone to rely on. Possibly one more year.
8) 6th and 7th rd LBs are better than Polk and Rogers (Walden should have stayed). Is Rogers still on the team?
9) Good riddance to Ellis and get a true 3-4 LB. Ellis would look nice in a Bengal uniform.

It is a good thing the Cowboys have a lot of draft picks because we are going to need them. Look for the Cowboys to draft athletic, true 3-4 potential LBs this year. James/Carp/Ellis/Burnett/Thomas/Rogers/Polk.

Except for Ware and Spencer, the whole LB corps may be gone.
Except for Davis and Hamlin, all new safeties.

Change is coming regardless of the coach.

Outside of his age ZACK is still a monster.... I agree with everyone else though.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Only players that will be gone on defense are Henry,Canty,Roy and probably zack.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2428177 said:
Spears has one more year on his contract and is relatively cheap. I think he sticks.

Of the original list...

Brady James - he sticks
Bobby Carpenter - he's cheap and may stick for ST duties, but if there's an upgrade he's ghost
Pat Watkins - cheap backup, he sticks
Courtney Brown - see Watkins
S Roy Williams - 50/50, if he takes a paycut, he sticks
Anthony Henry - trade bait, kinda agree with Hos
Kevin Burnett - UFA, he's gone
Zach Thomas - UFA, he's gone
Alan Ball - cheap backup, he sticks
LB Polk - UFA, he's gone
LB Rogers - training camp cut
Greg Ellis - cheap backup, he sticks
crap. I thought this was his last year for some reason. I can't wait for it to be 2010.