Recap: Barry Church on ESPNRadio - 9:30EST

wileedog

Reaction score
Yes. Barry Church is clearly talking up McClain. That's not necessarily bad. Part of leadership is knowing how to motivate.

Hey, the players know the media storylines. Of course they are going to say McClain is all in. What else are they going to say, "Yeah, hope he doesn't bail on us before SF. Fingers crossed!"

That said I personally don't think McClain will quit again - he's one of Jerry's special projects and he has had a glimpse of life without football - or a paycheck.

But there is a big difference between "not quitting" and "dedicated." We'll see where that ball drops on the scale.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Hey, the players know the media storylines. Of course they are going to say McClain is all in. What else are they going to say, "Yeah, hope he doesn't bail on us before SF. Fingers crossed!"

You've hit on a good point here. I place very little stock in anything players or coaches say. If they make a comment that seems out of the ordinary, I'll perk my ears. Otherwise, I don't care. I get a kick out of posters who take some politically correct comment by a player and use it to justify a belief they have. For instance, when Jason Witten praises Jason Garrett, there's an army of people who hold it up as a testament to Garrett's awesomeness. That's absurd. What do you expect Witten to say? I mean, how often do you publicly criticize your employer? Probably never. Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not criticizing Witten or Garrett. I'm merely pointing out the way of the world.

Conversely, other posters criticize Jerry or players such as Church for trying to "sell them on the team." Personally, I don't need anyone to "sell" me on the team. I'm a fan. I'm going to watch and cheer no matter what anyone says.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Has anyone considered that on the level of the players, they are genuine in their support of another player?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

That said I personally don't think McClain will quit again - he's one of Jerry's special projects and he has had a glimpse of life without football - or a paycheck.

But there is a big difference between "not quitting" and "dedicated." We'll see where that ball drops on the scale.

they could say they don't know. or they will have to wait and see. they could change the subject or play coy.

There are a myriad of ways to get around your false dilemma.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Until other things come out that are contradictory of why McClain walked away, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, the reasons he keeps saying make sense to me when in the world of athletics you have men making the wrong decisions all the time. this 'kid" made a decision for all the right reasons and until something comes out different he has my backing as a fan.

wileedog

Reaction score
they could say they don't know. or they will have to wait and see. they could change the subject or play coy.

There are a myriad of ways to get around your false dilemma.
Because football players are completely adept at the nuance of PR.

Look I said I don't think McClain will quit and he has certainly said all of the right things. But he hasn't been on the field much either.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Because football players are completely adept at the nuance of PR.

Look I said I don't think McClain will quit and he has certainly said all of the right things. But he hasn't been on the field much either.

Starting at the rookie symposium they are taught PR and how to deal with the press. Rich Dalrympal (sp?) is in charge of the entire process for the Cowboys and all the players are coached on it. How not to talk bad about your teammates and the team would be discussed just like not revealing strategy, tactics, and techniques. For example, all the players have coached phrases they go to when they aren't sure. They start going into the same cliche and rhetoric that you hear from Garret. Specific examples of this are "we all need to get better" or in some other way taking responsibility on yourself. Get better process get better somehow some way passion stack good days effort want to be the best blah blah blah. Its pretty obvious they are coached.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yes. Barry Church is clearly talking up McClain. That's not necessarily bad. Part of leadership is knowing how to motivate.

Do you have anything tangible to prove that? I was told that leadership only = Super Bowl wins. Therefore Barry Switzer is equally as good a leader as Sean Payton.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
One thing for sure, he can hold his own against a Romo thread all day every day.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just still amazes me, though I come to expect it. That a player can do all the right things, and the players and coaches back him.
But yet some fans of the team [can we really call some of them fans] only want to dispell the notion that what is being said is true, or that the player actually is passionate and is ready to return and play at a high level.

So what, McClain needs some more conditioning. He will get there. So why do some you you need to put him or the team down because of it. Why can't you support him.
hint, the answer is not because of the past 17 years, or the gm, or the coach, or the usual garbage that is spewed.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Thanks for the recap. Appreciate it.

I don't buy the McClain hype though. I think at best, we'd get a backup quality player out of it.

I'm guessing what Rolando's teammate, Church, is saying may or may not not be 100% for real but I'm liking it anyhow.
At least, someone other than those who are intent on selling tickets are making the same claims about him as those who are.
In the final analysis, the truth usually comes to the fore but there does seem to be many of those now who believe in him.

morasp

Reaction score
If this is indeed accurate, I worry about the other 51 that are going to be on the roster.

The gulf in regards to passion between these two is extremely wide.

Terrance Mitchell might be a third one if he makes the cut. During one practice Dez was trying to calm him down a little.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
You've hit on a good point here. I place very little stock in anything players or coaches say. If they make a comment that seems out of the ordinary, I'll perk my ears. Otherwise, I don't care. I get a kick out of posters who take some politically correct comment by a player and use it to justify a belief they have. For instance, when Jason Witten praises Jason Garrett, there's an army of people who hold it up as a testament to Garrett's awesomeness. That's absurd. What do you expect Witten to say? I mean, how often do you publicly criticize your employer? Probably never. Don't misunderstand me here. I'm not criticizing Witten or Garrett. I'm merely pointing out the way of the world.

Conversely, other posters criticize Jerry or players such as Church for trying to "sell them on the team." Personally, I don't need anyone to "sell" me on the team. I'm a fan. I'm going to watch and cheer no matter what anyone says.

When it comes from Jason Witten, I don't think it's that absurd. Could have definitely used a much better example.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
It just still amazes me, though I come to expect it. That a player can do all the right things, and the players and coaches back him.
But yet some fans of the team [can we really call some of them fans] only want to dispell the notion that what is being said is true, or that the player actually is passionate and is ready to return and play at a high level.

So what, McClain needs some more conditioning. He will get there. So why do some you you need to put him or the team down because of it. Why can't you support him.
hint, the answer is not because of the past 17 years, or the gm, or the coach, or the usual garbage that is spewed.

Because they're just negative, unhappy people. Some people are just perpetually negative. Either that, or they have to use put downs and insults to make themselves feel better about their own circumstances.

To me, it's an immediate indicator of a lack of self-confidence in one's man- or womanhood.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because they're just negative, unhappy people. Some people are just perpetually negative. Either that, or they have to use put downs and insults to make themselves feel better about their own circumstances.

To me, it's an immediate indicator of a lack of self-confidence in one's man- or womanhood.

Very true.
Kind of like the "road rage" driver. Or the aggressive driver. It's where they can take frustration out on the other person without direct conflict. Because they feel they are in control.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Love the person and hope Church can use his vet exp to compensate for angles, etc.as seen with similar Safeties. Really have to give it to him coming in UDFA and working on his speed. Has a great head on his shoulders and can hit like a real S.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When it comes from Jason Witten, I don't think it's that absurd. Could have definitely used a much better example.

For me, I pay a lot more attention about what teammates say about a player unsolicited than what fans or media things. Now, it's one thing if they put a mic in your face and ask about a guy and you say some positive platitudes. That stuff you sort of have to expect. But when a player works a guy's name into conversation because of a football context or because they believe in their ability....like Tony used to dow with Miles and Hurd or does now with Crawford, for example...that stuff I take pretty seriously. And it usually turns out to be fairly reliable information.