Barry Church

Verdict

Reaction score
I was reading the defensive improvement thread which discusses the Giants specifically, and it made me evaluate the Church situation a little bit more critically. I really think we need to move on from him. Jones has some range, but Church is a clear liability in the range category, which is significant factor in getting interceptions. We need interceptions in the worst way.

Generally speaking, corners cover and prevent receptions and safeties get the picks. We are having to scheme Church into the game and protect him. So that limitation limits Jones' effectiveness at well. If we get someone who has Jones' range in place of Church then we have upgraded not only Church's spot, but enabled Jones to do his thing as well. It would also benefit the corners as well.

I think our corners are somewhat compromised in that there isn't enough safety help (range) from Church. Heath may well be such an upgrade but would prefer us bring in a top flight player to compete for this spot.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was reading the defensive improvement thread which discusses the Giants specifically, and it made me evaluate the Church situation a little bit more critically. I really think we need to move on from him. Jones has some range, but Church is a clear liability in the range category, which is significant factor in getting interceptions. We need interceptions in the worst way.

Generally speaking, corners cover and prevent receptions and safeties get the picks. We are having to scheme Church into the game and protect him. So that limitation limits Jones' effectiveness at well. If we get someone who has Jones' range in place of Church then we have upgraded not only Church's spot, but enabled Jones to do his thing as well. It would also benefit the corners as well.

I think our corners are somewhat compromised in that there isn't enough safety help (range) from Church. Heath may well be such an upgrade but would prefer us bring in a top flight player to compete for this spot.
A top flight S to team with Jones would do the Cowboys defense wonders.

Unfortunately that is a position the Cowboys have refused to seriously address for a number of years.