Bart Scott: "Dak Prescott hasn't even reached Alex Smith's level"

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
The ONLY people that question Prescott's arm strength are the certified Prescott haters. Many, many actual football people have never brought up a lack of arm strength of Prescott. So you and your Prescott haters club can say what you want but it doesn't change actual facts. There's a link on one of these threads that shows many of Prescott's passes of 30 or more yards, many of them while he was on the run or throwing off his back foot. Now if he didn't have any arm strength he wouldn't be able to throw the ball 30 or more yards down field off his back foot, but haters don't see that.
What does any of what you said have to do with him having elite arm strength?

You do know what elite means right?

Do you think Dak has a stronger arm than these QBs?

Stafford

Mahomes

Rodgers

Flacco

Newton

Wilson

Allen

Furthermore here are the qb ball velocity scores from the 2016 combine

Paxton Lynch, Memphis 59
Jared Goff, California 58
Carson Wentz, North Dakota State 57
Christian Hackenberg, Penn State 56
Joel Stave, Wisconsin 56
Jacoby Brissett, North Carolina State 56
Josh Woodrum, Liberty 56
Cody Kessler, Southern Cal 55
Brandon Allen, Arkansas 55
Trevone Boykin, TCU 55
Dak Prescott, Mississippi State 54
Nate Sudfeld, Indiana 54
Kevin Hogan, Stanford 53
Brandon Doughty, Western Kentucky 53
Vernon Adams, Oregon 53
Jeff Driskel, Louisana Tech 52
Connor Cook, Michigan State 50

Dak didnt even grade well here against qbs in his own draft.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What does any of what you said have to do with him having elite arm strength?

Ge if this was such an all important stat why is it NEVER mention on shows like pregame or during games or any of the shows on NFL? Gee might it be that most people care more about completion percentages. So take you little UNUSED stat and keep it for your Prescott hatred club.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Ge if this was such an all important stat why is it NEVER mention on shows like pregame or during games or any of the shows on NFL? Gee might it be that most people care more about completion percentages. So take you little UNUSED stat and keep it for your Prescott hatred club.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice troll job. Touchè

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Because passer rating vaguely promotes positive QB play, good qbs often win with it. But implying a W/L record is solely on the QB is wrong. Teams win games, and lots of QBs without top passer ratings have won super bowls.
That's because, as you said, teams win games. The opposing QB has a passer rating too, and your defense plays a big part in that. There are two QB in every game, and each QB's rating counts equally. Sometimes both QB have a 100+ rating. Sometimes neither does. But 70% of the time you have a 100+ passer rating, your team wins. You can talk about sportscasters and throw around terms like "antiquated," but it doesn't change that fact.

Based on passer rating, Tony Romo and Dak Prescott are the fifth and eighth greatest quarterbacks to ever live. Come on.
That's not a flaw of passer rating, it's your mistake for not adjusting for era. QBR, had it been around before 2006, would show the same kind of disparity between eras that any other passing stat does. Are you under the impression that when Staubach led the NFL in passer rating in 1978 completing 56% of his passes with 25 td and 16 int, that would have amounted to anything near the QBR that we see today?

Think.

ESPN wants to sell you on their product, and you're falling for it completely. Have you ever tried to look up a QB's career QBR? You can't. ESPN doesn't even bother to list it. Interested in knowing the QBR allowed by a certain defense over the course of the season? Good luck. The stat doesn't exist. And yet, you can look up defensive passer rating and see that 75% of the time a defense holds the opposing QB below 80, that team wins.

And if you really prefer QBR over passer rating, explain this:

Traditional passer rating, 2016-18
1 Brees 106.4
2 Ryan 105.7
3 Brady 103.5
4 Rodgers 100.3
5 Wilson 98.7
6 Luck 97.5
7 Cousins 97.0
8 Rivers 96.1
9 Prescott 95.9
10 Smith 95.3

ESPN's Total QBR (average of each season, 2016-18)
1 Brady 73.5
2 Ryan 71.5
3 Brees 70.0
4 Luck 68.8
5 Prescott 68.4
6 Rodgers 66.4
7 Rthlsbrgr 66.3
8 Rivers 63.3
9 Wentz 63.2
10 Wilson 62.1

The "modern" metric puts Dak four places ahead of the "antiquated" metric.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has been in the league 3 years and Smith what? 7?

Dumb comparison and a dumb conclusion.

Smith has actually been in the league 13 years, and out of that has only had one big season (2017), and it wasn't any better than Dak's rookie season.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
That's because, as you said, teams win games. The opposing QB has a passer rating too, and your defense plays a big part in that. There are two QB in every game, and each QB's rating counts equally. Sometimes both QB have a 100+ rating. Sometimes neither does. But 70% of the time you have a 100+ passer rating, your team wins. You can talk about sportscasters and throw around terms like "antiquated," but it doesn't change that fact.

That's not a flaw of passer rating, it's your mistake for not adjusting for era. QBR, had it been around before 2006, would show the same kind of disparity between eras that any other passing stat does. Are you under the impression that when Staubach led the NFL in passer rating in 1978 completing 56% of his passes with 25 td and 16 int, that would have amounted to anything near the QBR that we see today?

Think.

ESPN wants to sell you on their product, and you're falling for it completely. Have you ever tried to look up a QB's career QBR? You can't. ESPN doesn't even bother to list it. Interested in knowing the QBR allowed by a certain defense over the course of the season? Good luck. The stat doesn't exist. And yet, you can look up defensive passer rating and see that 75% of the time a defense holds the opposing QB below 80, that team wins.

And if you really prefer QBR over passer rating, explain this:

Traditional passer rating, 2016-18
1 Brees 106.4
2 Ryan 105.7
3 Brady 103.5
4 Rodgers 100.3
5 Wilson 98.7
6 Luck 97.5
7 Cousins 97.0
8 Rivers 96.1
9 Prescott 95.9
10 Smith 95.3

ESPN's Total QBR (average of each season, 2016-18)
1 Brady 73.5
2 Ryan 71.5
3 Brees 70.0
4 Luck 68.8
5 Prescott 68.4
6 Rodgers 66.4
7 Rthlsbrgr 66.3
8 Rivers 63.3
9 Wentz 63.2
10 Wilson 62.1

The "modern" metric puts Dak four places ahead of the "antiquated" metric.

Look where Cousins is on the passer rating list, then on the second list. Dak was awesome his rookie year which is skewing the second one. But it’s more right than the first.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do you have something to actually say, or do you use emoji's to avoid facts?

I'll tell you what - I'll provide the facts for you. In the comparison between Smiths one top year and Dak's rookie year, the only stat Smith had that was notably better was yardage, however Dak had more TDs by 2, more 4th QTR comebacks (5-1), more game winning drives (5-3), and the difference between the two with completion %, TD %, INT%, ypc, ypa, QB rating and INTs was miniscule, with Dak very slightly better in some, and Smith very slightly better in others. And, Dak steered a more successful ship.

Now, do you have words, logic or facts, or are you sticking with emoji's?

Reaction score
Bob-Lillys-War said:
Dak is impressive , and a good QB ... but $30 million a year !?

Brady just resigned for $22 million .

If Tom wanted 35mil would the Pats pay it? Why not make the most? He is one of the best and has more sb rings than anyone else.

And the owner has been busted in more stings than anyone else. I just had to go there. :laugh:
Brady is being paid by the Patriots by the back door through TB12.

He's making a LOT more than $22MM from the Patriots. But it's outside the salary cap.

pete026

Reaction score
I was with you until you said this

You have to adjust for era due to the rule changes.

Go by # top-5 seasons of passer rating for each player and you will get a better idea of how they ranked amongst their peers

Dak was ranked:

3rd

18th

14th

In his 3 seasons

Romo was ranked:

5th

5th

8th

8th

N/A

4th

10th

8th

1st

N/A

N/A
So Dak had 1 top 5 in 3 seasons = 33%

Romo had 4 top 5's in 13 seasons = 31%

I would agree with that.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So Dak had 1 top 5 in 3 seasons = 33%

Romo had 4 top 5's in 13 seasons = 31%

I would agree with that.
At this point, Dak’s top 5 season was an anomally

From 3rd to 18th, yikes

RG3 had 1 top 5 season in his first 3 seasons as well :laugh:

pete026

Reaction score
At this point, Dak’s top 5 season was an anomally

From 3rd to 18th, yikes

RG3 had 1 top 5 season in his first 3 seasons as well :laugh:
If that is the criteria you want to use then Romo, at best, would rank as the highest rated backup his first 3 years.... 33rd yikes!!!!!

FWIW, I am not bashing Romo but just showing the hypocrisy of rating QBs with full careers to QBs that haven't had the opportunity to prove their full capability at this point.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
That’s a whole lot of generalization about what I supposedly did or did not do.

Perhaps you should focus on my individual arguments and points as opposed to lumping me in with others as blaming this that or the third which isn’t really true about me.

Your post also shows a lack of ability to understand what it was that I was saying. I readily stated that’s Dak had a better supporting cast. I then stated that you had to actually watch the players play and evaluate them individually. Rather than focus on those parts of my post, you decided to go on a baseless diatribe, and generalize my argument with the argument of other people over the past couple of years on this board.

Smith “always has been” better out of the pocket? Thanks for proving that you didn’t actually watch Smith when he was young, and/or don’t know what you’re talking about.

Please go on about how difference in supporting cast can account for the whopping 40 point discrepancy between Smith’s third year QB rating and Dak’s third year QB rating.

If you don't even understand how a bad supporting cast can and does affect the performance of the individual in a team sport like football there is no point in discussing it.

(Chuckling as I recall all the "online has regressed, Zeke is out, WR's suck", comments to defend Dak's slump)

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Michael Irvin: Criticism of Dallas Cowboys QB Dak Prescott is ‘insane’

Jori Epstein
USA Today

“(People) don’t appreciate the charisma as a talent and gift,” Irvin told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday. “It’s got to be the greatest talent in this business we don’t count. This is why Tom Brady has six rings. Rarely, rarely do you get the heart and soul of the football team at the quarterback position.

“Dak Prescott has that in him. I tell people: Stop it. Stop being a dummy here. It’s the ultimate gift a quarterback could have, especially in a world where the quarterback is so isolated and put on a pedestal.”

“Talent must be harmonious with one another. Dak and Dez (Bryant) was not harmonious,” Irvin said. “Now he has guys that fit his talent. And I think now he takes off. (With Cooper,) he can throw the ball while the guy’s in the route knowing he’s going to transition well out of the route and be open. Now I’m throwing anticipatory throws. I’m throwing anticipatory throws and getting the ball out of my hands quickly, and I’m putting the ball in a spot and expect him to get to it. That will improve accuracy.”

“Aaron (Rodgers) should have more (titles) but the problem is the dramatic and dynamic you can’t win with all the time," Irvin said. “The dramatic and dynamic in this league has to be something you mix in here and there not something you live on and feed on all day long.

“For Dak to understand that — that I have to toe this line, I need to play the game ‘steady Eddie, steady Eddie’ until I have to, until I have to be the dynamic and dramatic? What he just said is why Tom (Brady) has six (Super Bowls) and Aaron has one.”

“It’s insane sometimes when I hear the analysis on Dak Prescott and this man has won as many games as he’s won,” Irvin said. “It’s like everyone’s looking for a reason not to believe, instead of opening their eyes for all the reasons they should believe.”