CFZ Basham and Williams Roughing the Passer Flags and Rule

Did Basham drive the quarterback into the ground?

• Yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Like with Williams, I think if they each just push the QB with their arms and the QB falls, that's not a foul. Basham also wrapped up and yanked the QB's legs and Williams dipped his head plus did a mini launch off the turf at him. Whether his helmet was first with the impact is the debatable part but both were "forcible contact" to a QB in his windup. Compare what Gregory did to Mac Jones last year in NE while he was still holding the ball. It was every bit as violent as Williams' hit but Jones wasn't a defenseless player because he didn't start a windup.

Basham is literally doing a form tackle of the new style the NFL has teams doing to keep shots away from the head hitting breadbasket and leading with the shoulder. You wrap the legs to make sure the ball carrier cannot escape a simple hit.

The NFL is giving defenders mixed messages and making it impossible to rush the passer.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Basham is literally doing a form tackle of the new style the NFL has teams doing to keep shots away from the head hitting breadbasket and leading with the shoulder. You wrap the legs to make sure the ball carrier cannot escape a simple hit.

The NFL is giving defenders mixed messages and making it impossible to rush the passer.
His helmet is the first thing that hits him, and he pulls his legs underneath him, then lands on top of him. That's not what they're trying to do.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

They can't leave their feet. Basham assisted in that. Penalty.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just my opinion but I think the League is telling them they can perform that tackle on anyone in possession of the football except the quarterback.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

Well, besides what the others have said, a QB is not a ball carrier, especially in his windup. If they were doing a QB draw then they're fair game but in the pocket, they are a protected passer with special rules around them.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Well, besides what the others have said, a QB is not a ball carrier, especially in his windup. If they were doing a QB draw then they're fair game but in the pocket, they are a protected passer with special rules around them.

And good QBs can go from ball carrier or guy just setup in the pocket to windup in a blink of the eye. Human reaction time is what it is. Seems the best practice is easy, if the rusher gets within a step then go to your windup and get a flag and first down.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, and those same officials have been called out years later by the NFL Review Committee of getting calls wrong.

No officials have been fired or even disciplined in regard to the Cowboys. We play with the same referees as everyone else and there is absolutely no evidence our games are officiated differently. We are just that sloppy. I see many fans like you are kinda like the coaches.........trying to look at everything but the problem.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
No officials have been fired or even disciplined in regard to the Cowboys. We play with the same referees as everyone else and there is absolutely no evidence our games are officiated differently.
I get your approach here, but has any referee, ever, been subjected to discipline (as is fired) for gross incompetence?

Unless you know more than me, the answer is no.

In my perspective, successful franchises have always been followed by questionable referee choices one way or another, at least if you pay any little bit of attention to NFL history.

The Raiders could write a book on the number of shaftings they have received.

There are certain franchises and I will name them, who rarely, if ever, have never been victimized in a strong way by officiating calls where it negatively impacted their franchise.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. New England Patriots
3. San Francisco 49ers

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get your approach here, but has any referee, ever, been subjected to discipline (as is fired) for gross incompetence?

In my perspective, successful franchises have always been followed by questionable referee choices one way or another, at least if you pay any little bit of attention to NFL history.

There are certain franchises and I will name them, who rarely, if ever, have never been victimized in a strong way by officiating calls where it negatively impacted their franchise.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. New England Patriots
3. San Francisco 49ers

You don't know anything. Explain how poor officiating against the marquee teams benefits the NFL. Its nonsense. All franchises are "victimized" by a bad call here and there. We just notice the ones that happen to the teams on tv the most.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. New England Patriots
3. San Francisco 49ers
Bat signal successfully deployed. MarcusRock incoming.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No officials have been fired or even disciplined in regard to the Cowboys. We play with the same referees as everyone else and there is absolutely no evidence our games are officiated differently. We are just that sloppy. I see many fans like you are kinda like the coaches.........trying to look at everything but the problem.
Fans like you are the problem. Rump kissers. lol

IceBowler

Reaction score
When asked about the newly adopted "In the Grasp Rule" protecting quarterbacks, Hall of Fame Linebacker, Jack lambert said,

"Hell, they ought put skirts on em .."