Bass vs Ball

blueblood70

Reaction score
And to think Ball would've been drafted higher (here or elsewhere) if not for the assault allegations.
And think about this Geno Smith once started out as a bust in the NFL and that goes for hundreds upon hundreds of over drafted players just because ball is not blossom yet doesn't mean somehow, he doesn't turn it around and become a solid at least role player.

some guys are just career backups and they have a role on a team.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Ball is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Dallas Cowboys.

Media doesn't like him. He doesn't do interviews, perhaps because he doesn't want to, but you really can't blame the guy since he gets all the caustic treatment he gets. I was listening to Kyle Youmans on yesterday's podcast once again tossing mud at Ball, having at that moment zero reason to do so given that even the first pad practice still hadn't happened. Last year at this time, I remember we had Nate Newton going on about Ball, and later in a moment of weakness, revealing he didn't actually watch the player but was going off of what he'd heard others say.

It's flat out amazing to me. I've never seen a Cowboys player receive more negativity with so little reason. It's like media and fans are carrying this collective chip on their shoulder as-if Ball did something 7 years ago when he was 18 to their daughters.

No. He didn't perform as bad last preseason as became popular to say. If you went play by play through all three games (as I did), you know I'm right when I say that. And I'm not the first person to say that. In fact, as we know, he also got some real game action last season as well. The results? Mixed is a fair term. Not all good. Not all bad.

No. He didn't get the normal grace that a rookie gets last year--and don't argue with me about "rookie" because for all intents and purposes, Waletzko is a rookie this year for the same reason that Ball is to be considered a sophomore this year. And what do I mean by "grace?" Watch how Waltezko is never maligned even though he makes rookie mistakes. And how about Tryon Smith? The very same things that happened to Ball in preseason in 2022 happened to Smith in his rookie season in 2011--google Todd Archer's story after preseason's completion and you'll learn it's true. He was noted for giving up sacks and missing blocks, but also praised for what he did do right.

Josh Ball gets no such grace.

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
isn't that what's training camps for? I mean I don't know why fans need to get so riled up over one player maybe not doing well in another is doing better I mean they're all on the same team they were picked by the same coaches and eventually one's not gonna make the team and one might this is how it works this is exactly what these practices and training camp is for it's not really for the veterans our core group is pretty much locked in outside of a few positions the training camp and preseason is 100% to figure out who our role players are gonna be in our depth. So ball might take a few more years or he may never make the team I don't really care again our core is pretty much set...

I think Waletzgo is the one that the coaches are high on, not ball but everyone here seems to have taken a position they hate Ball, but does it really matter they're gonna fill out the team with these role players and depth and hopefully they grow into a role.
You always have a way of putting things in proper perspective; thanks for being a superfan.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Ball is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Dallas Cowboys.

Media doesn't like him. He doesn't do interviews, perhaps because he doesn't want to, but you really can't blame the guy since he gets all the caustic treatment he gets. I was listening to Kyle Youmans on yesterday's podcast once again tossing mud at Ball, having at that moment zero reason to do so given that even the first pad practice still hadn't happened. Last year at this time, I remember we had Nate Newton going on about Ball, and later in a moment of weakness, revealing he didn't actually watch the player but was going off of what he'd heard others say.

It's flat out amazing to me. I've never seen a Cowboys player receive more negativity with so little reason. It's like media and fans are carrying this collective chip on their shoulder as-if Ball did something 7 years ago when he was 18 to their daughters.

No. He didn't perform as bad last preseason as became popular to say. If you went play by play through all three games (as I did), you know I'm right when I say that. And I'm not the first person to say that. In fact, as we know, he also got some real game action last season as well. The results? Mixed is a fair term. Not all good. Not all bad.

No. He didn't get the normal grace that a rookie gets last year--and don't argue with me about "rookie" because for all intents and purposes, Waletzko is a rookie this year for the same reason that Ball is to be considered a sophomore this year. And what do I mean by "grace?" Watch how Waltezko is never maligned even though he makes rookie mistakes. And how about Tryon Smith? The very same things that happened to Ball in preseason in 2022 happened to Smith in his rookie season in 2011--google Todd Archer's story after preseason's completion and you'll learn it's true. He was noted for giving up sacks and missing blocks, but also praised for what he did do right.

Josh Ball gets no such grace.

The dude sucks. Did you watch the Houston game? They had to pull him for Peters cause he was getting destroyed. On every snap. Against the Texans. He is Chaz Green level bad.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched training camp live. Both of them took reps at RG with the ones and twos. Bass is light years better than Ball. I could see Bass make the 53 so as to not lose him to waivers

I think that you are right.
A lot of us have been saying that TJ Bass is better than Josh Ball. Ball keeps on getting burned inside.
Wait ... this was training camp live BEFORE the first day in pads, right? Not going to learn too much about offensive linemen when the hitting is light. Now that they've got the pads on we should see how this settles out.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for Bass, but there's a big difference in non-padded vs. padded practices.
Mazi vs Bass in 1-on-1s yesterday was as ugly as it gets...

MEDIA=twitter]1686527595326947333[/MEDIA

_sturt_

Reaction score
The dude sucks. Did you watch the Houston game? They had to pull him for Peters cause he was getting destroyed. On every snap. Against the Texans. He is Chaz Green level bad.
No, he actually really and truly does not suck.

I did watch the Houston game. Did you?

Yes, they had reason to use Peters. But no, for a player getting his first ever regular season game action... he wasn't anything like what you're describing. Sober up... and I don't mean that as-if you're literally drunk, but that you're not balanced in your assessment... you need to argue with yourself better, my friend.