Bates steps down as Packers' defensive coordinator

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Bates steps down as Packers' defensive coordinator
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Jim Bates stepped down as Packers defensive coordinator Monday after getting passed over for the head coaching job.
Bates decided to leave after several discussions with new coach Mike McCarthy.
"I was disappointed when I didn't get job but that happens in this business," Bates said. "He applied for the job just like I did and I came in second, I hope I came in second. I'm going to be fine with whatever I choose."
Bates said it would be hard to leave the Packers but accepted it was time to move on.
"When you get that opportunity to be a head coach, you have a list of people you've worked with," Bates said. "I wanted to give him the chance to pick those people with whom he had relationships. I didn't want to get in his way."
McCarthy was hired last week after general manager Ted Thompson fired Mike Sherman on Jan. 2. McCarthy hired Jeff Jagodzinski as offensive coordinator Sunday. Those two worked together when they were on the Packers staff in 1999.
"It's my job as head coach to find the best person who fits in the coaching staff," McCarthy said. "I was hopeful it would work (with Bates) but it's not there. It's not a negative — it's two people being mature about the situation."
In his first year as Packers defensive coordinator, Bates engineered a modest turnaround after Green Bay was ranked 25th in defense in 2004. Despite injuries to key players, the Packers allowed an average of 293.1 yards a game in 2005, seventh best in the league.
Bates spent the previous five seasons in Miami, where he oversaw one of the league's top defensive units. The Dolphins struggled to a 1-8 start in 2004, and Bates took over as interim coach after Dave Wannstedt stepped down.
The Dolphins finished 3-4 and players lobbied for Bates to stay as coach before the club hired Nick Saban.